Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2020, 08:49 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times

Advertisements

Thank you folks.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...e-15252065.php
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2020, 08:59 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
Lol, what a sad little article. Basically people in the Bay Area patting themselves on their backs for being a bunch of sheep. This place is such an ideological circle jerk.

Curve is flattened and hospitals are empty, but lets keep moving the goalpost to see how much we can get away with.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:31 AM

36,657 posts, read 67,519,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Lol, what a sad little article. Basically people in the Bay Area patting themselves on their backs for being a bunch of sheep. This place is such an ideological circle jerk.

Curve is flattened and hospitals are empty, but lets keep moving the goalpost to see how much we can get away with.
How many saved lives we can get away with? As many as possible.

NYTimes Interactive May 5th

Covid-19 Deaths by Metro Area(how quickly deaths double)
25,848 New York(5 weeks)
3,397 Detroit(4 weeks)
3,030 Boston(2 weeks)
2,550 Chicago(3 weeks)
2,211 Philadelphia(12 days)
1,313 Los Angeles(3 weeks)
1,000 Washington DC(12 days)
782 Miami(4 weeks)
627 Seattle(2 months)
560 Atlanta(3 weeks)
362 Minneapolis-St Paul(10 days)
280 Inland Empire(3 weeks)
257 Dallas-Ft Worth(3 weeks)
219 Houston(2 weeks)
189 San Francisco-Oakland(5 weeks)

Old 05-07-2020, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
No, how many restrictions on people they can get away with and for how long. The point of the SIP was to not overwhelm hospitals and flatten the curve, that's already happened here. It's a virus that is going to infect up to 70% of the population and not going to go away anytime soon not matter how long they try to extend this SIP.

The whole statewide beach closure memo debacle with Newsom just exemplifies how much of a power trip he and others are on. Contra Costa County doesn't even have a 1,000 confirmed cases and only 30 people hospitalized with it.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:46 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post

NYTimes Interactive May 5th

Covid-19 Deaths by Metro Area(how quickly deaths double)
25,848 New York(5 weeks)
3,397 Detroit(4 weeks)
3,030 Boston(2 weeks)
2,550 Chicago(3 weeks)
2,211 Philadelphia(12 days)
1,313 Los Angeles(3 weeks)
1,000 Washington DC(12 days)
782 Miami(4 weeks)
627 Seattle(2 months)
560 Atlanta(3 weeks)
362 Minneapolis-St Paul(10 days)
280 Inland Empire(3 weeks)
257 Dallas-Ft Worth(3 weeks)
219 Houston(2 weeks)
189 San Francisco-Oakland(5 weeks)
Will be interesting to revisit this in a few weeks. What's going to happen for all those other locations that are opening too soon and inviting an exponential spread of COVID? I get the want/need to open up the economy as businesses are hurting, seriously. I empathize with all the small business owners who are losing their liveilhoods.

However, I fail to see the logic from an economic standpoint. If more people get sick and it becomes unmanageable, the businesses will need to shut down AGAIN. This will only prolong the economic, along with the health crisis.

Old 05-07-2020, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
However, I fail to see the logic from an economic standpoint. If more people get sick and it becomes unmanageable, the businesses will need to shut down AGAIN. This will only prolong the economic, along with the health crisis.
What if they don't though and that doesn't happen? With all the social distancing, mask wearing, and increased hygiene people are practicing now and will be for a while it's very much possible that there will be no debilitating second wave or whatever.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:00 AM

46 posts, read 43,285 times
Quote:
Will be interesting to revisit this in a few weeks. What's going to happen for all those other locations that are opening too soon and inviting an exponential spread of COVID? I get the want/need to open up the economy as businesses are hurting, seriously. I empathize with all the small business owners who are losing their liveilhoods.

Weigh the potentials. Given the vast majority of cases are asymptomatic or have mild symptoms (which is great!), even if a second wave does hit, it could - COULD - result in a few thousand fatalities.

Contrast that to tens of millions of people now without livelihoods. Suicides are already up. Millions of people driven to desperation. Riots. Food shortages. Starvation. Non-COVID medical deaths from people with truly serious conditions, who can't/won't go to the doctor out of fear.

May sound cold, but practicality is the basis for our actions now. Open the economy back up. Give those millions of people another chance to keep themselves fed, sheltered, and yes, healthy.

Sweden did this, and look at their results - low case count, few fatalities, and no economic shutdown snarling production. Let's all get back to work. We'll be careful. The numbers indicate that it'll be fine.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
What if they don't though and that doesn't happen? With all the social distancing, mask wearing, and increased hygiene people are practicing now and will be for a while it's very much possible that there will be no debilitating second wave or whatever.
????

Do you see how many people are ignoring the social distancing already? Fauci and other medical experts say that its inevitable that there will be a second wave, given how widespread it already is and the level of contagion.

The only way that there won't be a second wave is if we never die down from the first wave, which is entirely possible now, given the amount of people ignoring SIP and others that are already reducing restrictions.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
????

Do you see how many people are ignoring the social distancing already? Fauci and other medical experts say that its inevitable that there will be a second wave, given how widespread it already is and the level of contagion.

The only way that there won't be a second wave is if we never die down from the first wave, which is entirely possible now, given the amount of people ignoring SIP and others that are already reducing restrictions.
And have you seen how many people are abiding by it too? Especially here. I don't doubt there will be a second wave but I'm skeptical that it will be unmanageable. The coronavirus isn't going away anytime soon, we are going to have to learn to live with it until a vaccine or herd immunity. You cannot keep people in their homes and the economy shutdown for an entire year. That will do far more damage than this virus imo.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
And have you seen how many people are abiding by it too? Especially here. I don't doubt there will be a second wave but I'm skeptical that it will be unmanageable. The coronavirus isn't going away anytime soon, we are going to have to learn to live with it until a vaccine or herd immunity. You cannot keep people in their homes and the economy shutdown for an entire year. That will do far more damage than this virus imo.
They're saying double the amount of deaths by June. I agree that most people (80%+) are abiding by the rules. However, the 20% that are the selfish jerks are making it worse for the rest of us.

I agree that we're likely not going to be keeping the country closed. However, if our administration didn't have its head in the sand in the first place (e.g., a national strategy for testing, contact tracing, etc.) we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

What I'm saying is that the economic damage is inevitable at this point, regardless of whether we choose to open up or not, due to the incompetence of our government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland