U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2020, 08:45 PM

31 posts, read 32,697 times

Advertisements

My SO accepted a job in the financial district. Long story short she went to Stanford but when she graduated 6 years ago she took a job on the east coast and we had no plans of moving back. Thanks to Covid 19 that didn't turn out so well and got an ok offer of 160k to move back to SF. Given the cost of living it isn't a great salary but better than being unemployed and some potential for upward movement.

So now we find ourselves moving back to the Bay Area. Complicating things are I am not working due to surgery and won't be able to for some time. We also have a toddler so daycare is huge consideration as well. A lot can change since we were last here and I always found this website to be helpful.

We are looking for advice on a decent area to live within a 45 minute commute (BART, Caltrain, bus or by car) and suggestions for daycare in that area or possibly some decent ones downtown in the financial district. We need at least a 2BR/1BA at a minimum and some sort off street, preferably garage, parking.

I realize based on her salary it isn't going to be easy especially when factoring in daycare costs and crazy income taxes. They want her to start in 3 weeks and that isn't much time to get much sorted out before she has to start so this seemed like a good place to start. I did the math and after taxes and health insurance, we'll have about 7500/mo. What is the typical cost of daycare in the area now? Does it very much between downtown and the East Bay Area?

I am leaning toward Oakland as maybe the best bang for the buck but I can't say I am a huge fan but we are totally open to options that make sense. My best hope is we are only here for 2 years and we can get back out to some place more affordable, with lower taxes and good schools for when our child actually needs them.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2020, 11:18 AM

221 posts, read 318,970 times
First thing I would do is figure out what you can realistically afford in rent per month. Second thing I would do is join the Berkeley Parents Network - they have a good search function for past posts, but also a very active bunch of folks in the same boat posting the same sorts of questions. It's obviously heavily east-bay biased, but you'll still get good answers to your questions with Peninsula info as well. The good news is that in the near future you'll have some flexibility in where to live, as traffic around here should be fairly glorious for at least the next year while the major tech companies continue working from home. The bad news is that public transit is going to be limited and also somewhat of a risk if you need that.

Old 05-11-2020, 01:14 PM

226 posts, read 486,626 times
You don't have only Oakland (although Oakland provides the most varied price points and diversity), but with a 45-min public transportation commute, you can live likely in Alameda, San Leandro, Castro Valley or maybe Concord or Walnut Creek (if you take BART). It's been a few years since I needed FT childcare, but I would guess that $20-25 hourly for a nanny share or $1,500-$1,900 monthly for a center (slightly less for a home-based daycare, which is what we used). These are inner-East Bay estimates--I'm not sure about SF proper or the outer East Bay. We're also in Berkeley Parents Network (BPN) which is a helpful resource for East Bay parents.

Old 05-11-2020, 07:12 PM

876 posts, read 702,476 times
General rule of thumb is to budget 30% of your gross income on rent or mortgage. So that means you could spend as much as 4k per month and be okay. However, daycare is very expensive here, so I recommend maxing out at 3k if you don't want to live miserably.

San Francisco offers very poor return on investment. So it will be more cost effective to commute from a suburb. What kind of suburban experience would you like? And how important are schools to you? Here are several Craigslist finds that I haven't verified, other than these East Bay locations are family-friendly:

1. Alameda - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...120328979.html
2. Oakland - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...122539392.html
3. Berkeley - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...122361385.html
4. Albany/El Cerrito - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...122408661.html

Old 05-13-2020, 11:50 AM

85,793 posts, read 79,084,517 times
Just thought I'd mention, OP, that on Alameda, which is a nice, family-oriented area on the Bay, your SO would have the option of commuting to SF by ferry, avoiding car traffic altogether. From there, she could get a short transit ride to the FiDi. There's also a commuter bus that goes within walking distance of the FiDi. Alameda isn't served by BART, though there's a shuttle connection to BART.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 PM

1,983 posts, read 1,020,127 times
Not to rain on your parade. Your optimism is refreshing in these dire times we live in. But, do you honestly think life will proceed as usual after a brief respite in the lockdown conditions?. Sad fact is many well heeled and educated professionals, many friends included in that group, are all on their way out of San Fran and Ca. in general. Unless you are in the position to make $250k per annum, some I know make far more than that already, then life will be a struggle for now and the future days ahead.

San Fran is rapidly becoming a city , feudal in many ways, of just the the very rich and the poor. Probably designed to be for quite some time. Only seeing it come to fruition in the very recent years.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:57 PM

85,793 posts, read 79,084,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Not to rain on your parade. Your optimism is refreshing in these dire times we live in. But, do you honestly think life will proceed as usual after a brief respite in the lockdown conditions?. Sad fact is many well heeled and educated professionals, many friends included in that group, are all on their way out of San Fran and Ca. in general. Unless you are in the position to make $250k per annum, some I know make far more than that already, then life will be a struggle for now and the future days ahead.

San Fran is rapidly becoming a city , feudal in many ways, of just the the very rich and the poor. Probably designed to be for quite some time. Only seeing it come to fruition in the very recent years.
But the OP isn't looking to live in SF. His wife would be working there, that's all. And that's only half their earning power. Over time, after the OP recovers from his surgery, he'll probably be making a salary at some point, too.

Old 05-13-2020, 09:09 PM

18,665 posts, read 25,838,275 times
There are pop-up state-approved day care facilities. Try Googling it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or