U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 05:43 PM

421 posts, read 182,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
I really believe that deep down employers don't like WFH. All too many of them feel if their workers aren't being actively supervised, they're not working. Some segment of tech workers will stay at WFH... but in the corporate suite, all that infighting, politics, brown-nosing, back stabbing, and ladder climbing is most effectively done in person.

I think once the covid thing subsides, more workers will return to offices than is predicted... return to gauge their competition, see and be seen.
Before COVID-19, our office policy was 2 days per week of each employee's choice (with manager's approval) can be taken as work from home. Because our work is highly collaborative, most people prefer to work from the office and usually only take one day per week to WFH, and often none.

During this lockdown, it has really driven home how much we like working together in our collaborative, creative space. We've done our work pretty well remotely, and have come up with some clever ways to overcome our distancing, but everyone agrees that the creative nature of our work is best served in person and we are eager to return.

Our office is reopening (under strict new guidelines and limitations that conform to all pertinent recommendations) on June 1st. We'll be issued masks and are closing things like our gym, snack areas, gathering spots, etc. for the time being. We are also allowing everyone to self select up to 100% WFH for any reason they see fit, until conditions suggest we should return to limiting it to 2 days per week WFH.

Some will stay home. Most will want to come in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2020, 07:49 PM

28,093 posts, read 31,783,869 times
I think maybe 20-30% of offices will close completely. e.g. like Twitter will shrink.

I think housing prices will decrease a little bit, but all the people who have been sitting on the fence will be able to jump into getting something.

I think that the Financial District is doing to change a lot. I think that typical neighborhoods will stay the same, but we will lose a lot of businesses that depend on office worker traffic. There will be no foot traffic for those coffee shops and lunch spots and so on. Happy hour downtown is over. Commercial real estate will tank.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:34 AM

1,996 posts, read 2,345,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I think maybe 20-30% of offices will close completely. e.g. like Twitter will shrink.

I think housing prices will decrease a little bit, but all the people who have been sitting on the fence will be able to jump into getting something.

I think that the Financial District is doing to change a lot. I think that typical neighborhoods will stay the same, but we will lose a lot of businesses that depend on office worker traffic. There will be no foot traffic for those coffee shops and lunch spots and so on. Happy hour downtown is over. Commercial real estate will tank.
Short term people are going to want to avoid the crowds of the Financial District but long term it's too valuable of real estate for a massive decline.

Maybe office space will be converted to residential.

I do expect to see a decline in commercial real estate in suburbs that have a lot of office space such as Foster City, Milpitas, and Fremont.

Old 05-20-2020, 10:48 AM

On the other hand...

'A tidal wave': New Yorkers snapping up CT homes as they flee the city:

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/bus...T-15278330.php

Old 05-20-2020, 12:47 PM

2,829 posts, read 5,596,249 times
Yup the new tendency is to move OUT of congested metro areas with more space. I have friends in the business and they have indeed reported significant downturns in Commercial properties at this time. Also NEW construction is all but stuffed due to loan issues. Existing home sales over the last few months have tanked as many have yanked their listings OFF of the market (don't want people coming through their home with possible infections I guess). Who can say when it will lighten up. I can't imagine BART travel under current conditions either.

Old 05-20-2020, 04:34 PM

421 posts, read 182,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Yup the new tendency is to move OUT of congested metro areas with more space. I have friends in the business and they have indeed reported significant downturns in Commercial properties at this time. Also NEW construction is all but stuffed due to loan issues. Existing home sales over the last few months have tanked as many have yanked their listings OFF of the market (don't want people coming through their home with possible infections I guess). Who can say when it will lighten up. I can't imagine BART travel under current conditions either.
That's our biggest issue. Our office is in Oakland. We have many coming from SF, Walnut Creek, Livermore, Berkeley, etc. who used BART, but now refuse...and rightly so.

I use the ferry to cross the Bay and it should remain a safe option with plenty of room for social distancing.

Old 05-21-2020, 03:00 PM

A survey of thousands of SF Bay Area techies found that 2 out of 3 would consider leaving if they could permanently work remotely.:

https://www.businessinsider.com/two-...h-blind-2020-5

Facebook to Shift Permanently Toward More Remote Work After Coronavirus:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/faceboo...us-11590081300

Zuckerberg says employees moving out of Silicon Valley may face pay cuts:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/21/zuck...-remotely.html

Old 05-21-2020, 05:53 PM

4,258 posts, read 1,134,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post

Zuckerberg says employees moving out of Silicon Valley may face pay cuts:
It absolutely makes sense; why would employers continue to pay a salary based (in part) in re: COL, if it no longer applies? Their salary would be adjusted relative to the new location/COL.

Old 05-21-2020, 10:25 PM

14,734 posts, read 11,775,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
I really believe that deep down employers don't like WFH. All too many of them feel if their workers aren't being actively supervised, they're not working. Some segment of tech workers will stay at WFH... but in the corporate suite, all that infighting, politics, brown-nosing, back stabbing, and ladder climbing is most effectively done in person.

I think once the covid thing subsides, more workers will return to offices than is predicted... return to gauge their competition, see and be seen.
I am a big tech worker doing the remote thing, and I hate it. And while all these eggheads are now praising themselves for how great all this is, it's mainly great for the employer. The workers, not so much. More people should wake up and realize that this is not being done for your benefit; it's for theirs.

Think about it. I am now tasked with setting up my office out of my bedroom closet (since even well to do people here live in shacks) while my employer will get to save on tons of facilities-related costs. Eventually, they'll find ways and reasons to cut my benefits and pay as more people fan out. And eventually, since we're all working remote, why not just stop hiring in North America so much and go all-out on low cost geo hiring? What happened with manufacturing will now really tear through white collar America.

Meanwhile, this is all psychologically damaging for me since the reality is that now work will just blend deep into all aspects of the bit of time that before was my personal time. I'm already doing more night work than before. You're always on call now. Not to mention right now everyone is pushing productivity because they're scared of getting fired.

And don't even get me started how discriminatory this is against workers with young kids, who are not expected to be teachers, babysitters, and uber-productive remote employees all at once.

So yeah...of course CEOs are cheering for this...because they know that it's a whole new frontier to squeeze you like a lemon and ultimately win at your expense.

Old 05-22-2020, 01:47 PM

4,258 posts, read 1,134,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So yeah...of course CEOs are cheering for this...because they know that it's a whole new frontier to squeeze you like a lemon and ultimately win at your expense.
Who is 'they'; you'd have to be more specific in re: what particular CEO or company you feel is 'squeezing you like a lemon'; else, it simply comes across as generalized whining. You do realize, in most cases, you have a choice as to whether to work from home or not, generally speaking (as well as the company you choose to work for, for that matter).

That said, how does the company 'win' by having a pandemic call for the necessity re: employees WFH? If anything, they lose i.e. many have large campuses (some relatively new) which are sitting empty; so yeah, you come across as a whiner blaming random CEOs for what most people consider to be a positive thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or