U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2020, 02:11 PM

127 posts, read 120,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
A lot of people can still remember the city before tech took over. Yeah it was grungier but still wasn't that bad, preferable in a lot of ways to now.
Grungier? Lol, Mission District was a total and complete ghetto back in those days. So were a lot of other parts of the city that gentrified. I won't mention Hunter's Point, etc as they're still pretty bad now. If you enjoy crime and drugs though then I guess you're right, this was a great place to be.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2020, 02:25 PM

16,115 posts, read 26,919,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchromesh View Post
Grungier? Lol, Mission District was a total and complete ghetto back in those days. So were a lot of other parts of the city that gentrified. I won't mention Hunter's Point, etc as they're still pretty bad now. If you enjoy crime and drugs though then I guess you're right, this was a great place to be.
Well a lot of those "non-techies" you mentioned would still take that SF over what you have now. And that was pretty much my point.

Old 06-10-2020, 02:44 PM

1,996 posts, read 2,346,172 times
Wealthy San Francisco homebuyers are fleeing the dense city and snatching up houses in the affluent wine country as remote work powers an exodus from city life

https://www.businessinsider.in/tech/...w/76309625.cms

How COVID-19 Will Accelerate Silicon Valley Exodus

https://patch.com/california/temecul...-valley-exodus

Old 06-10-2020, 05:06 PM

4,260 posts, read 1,135,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Wealthy San Francisco homebuyers are fleeing the dense city and snatching up houses in the affluent wine country as remote work powers an exodus from city life
This has actually been the trend for awhile (especially among higher-level tech and business) relative to the pros/cons of living in any large city as well as the appeal of the Bay Area as a whole.

However, I agree the current situation is likely to escalate pricing (further down the road as we recover) in the trendier and (what is considered to be by many) more desirable places to live i.e. Marin (and to some extent, Sonoma) especially for those whose commuting will no longer be an issue (or at least no longer done on a daily basis).

Old 06-10-2020, 09:05 PM

127 posts, read 120,537 times
Quote:
Well a lot of those "non-techies" you mentioned would still take that SF over what you have now. And that was pretty much my point.
A lot of those non-techies either left the city sometime ago or will at some point. Oh, and what happened right now is the product of liberal policies of the horrific government that was voted in by the same exact non-techies you're referring to.

Old 06-11-2020, 08:30 AM

16,115 posts, read 26,919,724 times
Quote:
A lot of those non-techies either left the city sometime ago or will at some point. Oh, and what happened right now is the product of liberal policies of the horrific government that was voted in by the same exact non-techies you're referring to.
Maybe they won't anymore if you say what is going to happen actually does. Maybe some will actually come back after a lot of techies leave. Again the point being a lot of people remember and know what SF was like before techies took over and they prefer to what's there now.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:51 PM

28,093 posts, read 31,786,729 times
Quote:
A lot of people can still remember the city before tech took over. Yeah it was grungier but still wasn't that bad, preferable in a lot of ways to now.
Quote:
Back in the old days, the Mission was great. You would hear people not discussing stuff like stock options, ARR, growth strategy, customer acquisition costs, exit plans, etc. You could meet people with all sorts fo jobs: teachers, techies, nonprofit workers, bartenders and have a conversation and small talk with no one looking at you like you were cuckoo.

When you road the transbay bus, you'd see people wearing suits with briefcases, not just hoodies and sneakers!

The one good thing about the tech wave is that more artisan cocktail bars came to Oakland, and that's about it! Oh and we have Target now. Thats good.

Old 06-18-2020, 08:55 AM

267 posts, read 106,717 times
Similar conversations going on in NYC as well. If you look at the real estate listings, condos in the city and immediate urban outlying areas (Brooklyn, Hoboken/JC) are lingering on the market with multiple price reductions. The leafier areas of CT, NJ & Westchester are going into bidding wars. I've never seen anything quite like it in my 7 years here.

I do think NYC will eventually recover (and I'm guessing SF will as well), but I expect it to take a few years, at least here. For the people snapping up property in the overheated suburbs, I hope for their sake they are able to continue some level of WFH once this passes, because if not they are going to wake up to the fact that those suburban commutes are tough (in NYC area, a great suburban commute is 1 hour door-to-door, an average one is 1:20 door-to-door) with horrific transit delays and multiple connections. Hell, I live 0.7 miles from my office as the crow flies and it takes 40 minutes on a good day.

If WFH really sticks and allows complete geographic flexibility, i.e. no need to even show up 1-2x per week, all bets are off. The map of the U.S. will be completely remade.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:11 PM

1,996 posts, read 2,346,172 times
There's a lot of different factors.

With the virus it is people wanting to avoid crowded spaces and not being able to enjoy urban amenities. This depends on the long term and what happens once the pandemic is over.

Economics and remote working. Remote workers leaving and unemployed people unable to pay their rent.

Crime is a factor due to mass unemployment and incidents of civil unrest. There were also incidents in the suburbs as well but not as bad as other cities.

'I'm finally leaving': Stories of Bay Area residents moving because of the pandemic:

https://www.sfgate.com/sf-locals/sli...rea-203670.php

Old 06-20-2020, 03:54 PM

40 posts, read 13,630 times
I'm an outsider but visit the Bay Area now and then due to family residing there and have managed real estate in the past.

I think SF will see a small dip but the Bay Area suburbs will be fine. The Bay Area is still the tech hub of the world, especially as far as the lifeblood (talent and funding) goes. The other thing that remote work can't affect is the natural climate and geography of the Bay. The Bay Area has arguably some of the best year-round climate in the country, and it's hard to put a price on that. For my own selfish reasons, I hope tech stays in the Bay Area, as the last thing smaller satellite cities in the country need is a horde of wealthy FOMO tech workers raising the COL and real estate prices to insane levels as they did in the Bay Area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or