U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-26-2020, 10:24 PM
 
1,044 posts, read 1,260,308 times
Reputation: 712

Advertisements

I'm doing some preliminary research on neighborhoods in SF Proper. It's always been a dream of mine to be in the Bay and to work there because of my technology background. With that said, my SO and I would be looking for a 2 BR 1-2 BA apt in SF proper. With a combined 300k salary, what neighborhoods can I comfortably rent in? We would ideally be bringing one car with us as well. Our monthly expenses are mostly recreational day trips on the weekends outside of the general living expenses.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-27-2020, 11:01 AM
 
Location: State of Transition
85,933 posts, read 79,124,938 times
Reputation: 88177
OP, I"ll let your do your research on Craigslist to get an idea of the rents in different areas, and compare. Lower-rent areas are on the west side of town (the foggy side, closer to the beach): the Sunset District and the Richmond District. Those have express bus service during commute hours, to downtown. Where is your job location? You could also look around the Presidio, and other west/southwest areas, like Bernal Heights. But with your combined salary, you can probably afford to live closer in to downtown. Some of the apartment buildings in the Richmond have garage parking included, btw. You'll hear a lot here, about the risks of street parking.

Here's something on the west side of town, just to give you an idea:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...131171855.html
Here's another one. The rent on the above one seems unusually low. This would be more representative:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...124983766.html

Some people love to be near the beach, and those neighborhoods have tons of great eateries, coffee shops, etc. Other people hate the west side, because of fog. The fog isn't a year-round phenom, however.

Here's a 2-br. close to downtown, in a more high-end area:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...131145021.html
and another:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...129031858.html

I see you're moving from TX? RADICAL change in natural environment! Be prepared! You'll find yourself getting chilled in the middle of summer, in the evenings, when the fog rolls in. It's a damp, penetrating chill. For people who grew up there, it's normal. Some people adjust (it keeps that scorching heat you deal with in TX away during the day), others hate it. Ever heard the quote attributed to Mark Twain, "The coldest winter I ever saw was July in San Francisco"? Believe it. Still, you'll have cool weather nearly year 'round, except for the typical summer heat wave at the end of summer. No A/C, be forewarned. There's never been any need for it, in the past.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 05-27-2020 at 11:35 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2020, 11:46 AM
 
1,044 posts, read 1,260,308 times
Reputation: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, I"ll let your do your research on Craigslist to get an idea of the rents in different areas, and compare. Lower-rent areas are on the west side of town (the foggy side, closer to the beach): the Sunset District and the Richmond District. Those have express bus service during commute hours, to downtown. Where is your job location? You could also look around the Presidio, and other west/southwest areas, like Bernal Heights. But with your combined salary, you can probably afford to live closer in to downtown. Some of the apartment buildings in the Richmond have garage parking included, btw. You'll hear a lot here, about the risks of street parking.

Here's something on the west side of town, just to give you an idea:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...131171855.html
Here's another one. The rent on the above one seems unusually low. This would be more representative:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...124983766.html

Some people love to be near the beach, and those neighborhoods have tons of great eateries, coffee shops, etc. Other people hate the west side, because of fog. The fog isn't a year-round phenom, however.

Here's a 2-br. close to downtown, in a more high-end area:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...131145021.html
and another:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...129031858.html

I see you're moving from TX? RADICAL change in natural environment! Be prepared! You'll find yourself getting chilled in the middle of summer, in the evenings, when the fog rolls in. It's a damp, penetrating chill. For people who grew up there, it's normal. Some people adjust (it keeps that scorching heat you deal with in TX away during the day), others hate it. Ever heard the quote attributed to Mark Twain, "The coldest winter I ever saw was July in San Francisco"? Believe it.
Thanks! I would be working in the South Beach/South Park area though my SO hasn't found a job just yet but she works in Media/Ad Agency industry so I'm assuming she'll find something in the city. I'm roughly estimating our salaries combined (no reason to believe we wont be right around 300k combined).

I don't think I'd mind the fog at all honestly albeit never having lived in a climate that gets foggy all the time. I do like that some of those spots do come included with a garage. I feel like coming from a place like Boston, its an even bigger premium here to have any sort of covered parking because of the advantage of not having to clean snow off your car in the winter so a garage sounds great.

The 2nd one you linked for Richmond area looks somewhat similar to what I have now which is great. I'll definitely look around on CL and Hotpads to see what else I can find in those areas.

I'm actually moving from the East Coast - Boston area. I honestly feel like the Bay Area (having visited once already in the summer) is more of my climate than Southern Cal is. The Chilly weather with a light jacket is exactly my type of norm and perfection. I do think the lifestyle change would be a lot different of course from what we have in the East. I've gotten to experience the south (born and raised), midwest (school), and northeast (currently living for work) so I've had a great memories and loved my time in each region. I'm hoping the west is the same or better.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2020, 12:08 PM
 
Location: State of Transition
85,933 posts, read 79,124,938 times
Reputation: 88177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Clover View Post
Thanks! I would be working in the South Beach/South Park area though my SO hasn't found a job just yet but she works in Media/Ad Agency industry so I'm assuming she'll find something in the city. I'm roughly estimating our salaries combined (no reason to believe we wont be right around 300k combined).

I don't think I'd mind the fog at all honestly albeit never having lived in a climate that gets foggy all the time. I do like that some of those spots do come included with a garage. I feel like coming from a place like Boston, its an even bigger premium here to have any sort of covered parking because of the advantage of not having to clean snow off your car in the winter so a garage sounds great.

The 2nd one you linked for Richmond area looks somewhat similar to what I have now which is great. I'll definitely look around on CL and Hotpads to see what else I can find in those areas.

I'm actually moving from the East Coast - Boston area. I honestly feel like the Bay Area (having visited once already in the summer) is more of my climate than Southern Cal is. The Chilly weather with a light jacket is exactly my type of norm and perfection. I do think the lifestyle change would be a lot different of course from what we have in the East. I've gotten to experience the south (born and raised), midwest (school), and northeast (currently living for work) so I've had a great memories and loved my time in each region. I'm hoping the west is the same or better.
"...not having to clean snow off your car in winter..." Haha, that's funny. That's not what garages are for, in SF. Mainly, they're for keeping your car safe.

OK, so, with your work location, you might be better off living closer in. Nob Hill (those other two listings I gave you), and North Beach/Telegraph Hill would be options, too. Some of the locations there have great views of the Bay. I'll leave it at that; others will be able to offer other suggestions, as well, probably.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2020, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Richmond, CA
880 posts, read 703,894 times
Reputation: 1081
With $300K combined and no major expenses, you should be able to rent a 2bd/1ba with parking in most parts of the City. (Some newer buildings might have 2/2 setups, but that is less common and new buildings don't have rent control.) A general rule of thumb is to dedicate up to 30% of your gross pay to housing expenses, which would put your cap at $7,500 per month. I don't recommend going all the way to max budget, of course, but you'll be fine renting with stable dual income. If you have your heart set on buying, though, it probably won't work out. (That's why folks like me migrate to the suburbs.)

I grew up on the bay in San Diego and am used to a mild-warm climate. I really struggled with the fog on the west side of the City. (I lived in mid-Richmond and Outer Sunset districts.) The dampness is very penetrating, and while great to visit, was very taxing to deal with on a regular basis. The other part of SF I lived in was Potrero Hill, which was just right. Mild weather and a light jacket here and there, and you're good. Unless you are really ready to embrace the coldness, I suggest looking in the center/east part of the City. Potrero Hill, Mission District, Noe Valley, etc.

Here are a few Craigslist listing samples that may be of interest to you:
1. Potrero Hill - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...115128972.html
2. Mission District - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...130677963.html
3. Noe Valley - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...129906016.html
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2020, 02:09 PM
 
1,044 posts, read 1,260,308 times
Reputation: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
"...not having to clean snow off your car in winter..." Haha, that's funny. That's not what garages are for, in SF. Mainly, they're for keeping your car safe.

OK, so, with your work location, you might be better off living closer in. Nob Hill (those other two listings I gave you), and North Beach/Telegraph Hill would be options, too. Some of the locations there have great views of the Bay. I'll leave it at that; others will be able to offer other suggestions, as well, probably.
Definitely noted!

Thanks again for your help! I will check out Nob Hill and North Beach area as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
With $300K combined and no major expenses, you should be able to rent a 2bd/1ba with parking in most parts of the City. (Some newer buildings might have 2/2 setups, but that is less common and new buildings don't have rent control.) A general rule of thumb is to dedicate up to 30% of your gross pay to housing expenses, which would put your cap at $7,500 per month. I don't recommend going all the way to max budget, of course, but you'll be fine renting with stable dual income. If you have your heart set on buying, though, it probably won't work out. (That's why folks like me migrate to the suburbs.)

I grew up on the bay in San Diego and am used to a mild-warm climate. I really struggled with the fog on the west side of the City. (I lived in mid-Richmond and Outer Sunset districts.) The dampness is very penetrating, and while great to visit, was very taxing to deal with on a regular basis. The other part of SF I lived in was Potrero Hill, which was just right. Mild weather and a light jacket here and there, and you're good. Unless you are really ready to embrace the coldness, I suggest looking in the center/east part of the City. Potrero Hill, Mission District, Noe Valley, etc.

Here are a few Craigslist listing samples that may be of interest to you:
1. Potrero Hill - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...115128972.html
2. Mission District - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...130677963.html
3. Noe Valley - https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/apa...129906016.html

Ah that's good, yeah I generally like to follow that 30% rule as well. I don't think we'll be looking to buy any time soon but at that point yeah we'd have to look somewhere further out to be realistic unless we further our income.

For my commute the eastern side would definitely be better as well it seems -- I will look into those neighborhoods. I've seen some in the Mission District already that have caught my eye. Just looking Potrero Hill, I think that might be a good fit for me as well. My preference would for sure be to be in a slightly warmer setting than fog, but if I had to put up with it then I would. But I think I agree with you that I might be overestimating the dampness of it as well. Thank you for all the recommendations!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2020, 03:15 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
1,357 posts, read 847,962 times
Reputation: 909
Here is another source to look for a place to rent in SF. I added a 2 bedroom filter


https://hotpads.com/san-francisco-ca...-122.4541&z=13
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2020, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Bay Area
1,357 posts, read 847,962 times
Reputation: 909
A sunny neighborhood, by SF standards, garage, 2 bedroom


https://hotpads.com/620-pennsylvania...-122.3992&z=15
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2020, 07:53 PM
 
Location: Oakland, CA
28,093 posts, read 31,786,729 times
Reputation: 28132
South Beach is an annoying pocket to get to, so I’d recommend living close to there. If your girlfriend works downtown or SOMA the commute is doable.

You can look at SOMA, South Beach, Mission Bay, Dogpatch or Potrero. Most of these areas will remind you of the new development areas of Southie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2020, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Richmond, CA
880 posts, read 703,894 times
Reputation: 1081
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
A sunny neighborhood, by SF standards, garage, 2 bedroom

https://hotpads.com/620-pennsylvania...-122.3992&z=15
I lived on this block when I resided in PH. It's a more happening area now (well, pre-pandemic) than when I was there in 2004. Nice thing about this particular location is that it's a quick motorcycle/scooter ride to SOMA and South Beach. You could even ride a bike. All are better options than trying to deal with Muni or a car.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:40 AM.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top