U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2020, 05:46 PM

28,093 posts, read 31,783,869 times

Advertisements

This news story is crazy! So this family is out eating dinner on the patio, and this white guy comes out of nowhere flipping out and threatening them! What kind of horrible person threatens kids and families?

https://abc7news.com/black-lives-mat...jtwyjj9-pGk9p8
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2020, 11:04 AM

85,930 posts, read 79,112,132 times
So-o-o, it's ok to make death threats? IMO, someone like that should be taken into custody by police, and taken to a mental health care facility for evaluation. Seriously. If it's illegal to shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, it should be illegal to threaten to shoot to kill people, to their face. It's a hate crime waiting to happen. I thought the police usually were all over that sort of thing. All they did was take a report?

Can anyone on C-D advise, regarding the legal aspect here?

Old 06-13-2020, 12:57 PM

11,711 posts, read 5,359,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
So-o-o, it's ok to make death threats? IMO, someone like that should be taken into custody by police, and taken to a mental health care facility for evaluation. Seriously. If it's illegal to shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theater, it should be illegal to threaten to shoot to kill people, to their face. It's a hate crime waiting to happen. I thought the police usually were all over that sort of thing. All they did was take a report?

Can anyone on C-D advise, regarding the legal aspect here?
Considering all the bad press cops are getting about overreacting to events, I can appreciate it to some degree. I'd suggest that the vague media term "took a report" covers an awful lot of ground. They might not arrest at that moment (because it might ignite the whole scene) but there certainly are penalties for making such threats. I'm not excusing the guy's behavior at all, just suggesting there could be multiple ways to respond to it. Frightening thing to happen to anyone.

https://www.shouselaw.com/criminal_threats.html

Old 06-13-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Considering all the bad press cops are getting about overreacting to events, I can appreciate it to some degree. I'd suggest that the vague media term "took a report" covers an awful lot of ground. They might not arrest at that moment (because it might ignite the whole scene) but there certainly are penalties for making such threats. I'm not excusing the guy's behavior at all, just suggesting there could be multiple ways to respond to it. Frightening thing to happen to anyone.

https://www.shouselaw.com/criminal_threats.html
Thank you for looking this up and commenting.

From the link:

Quote:
Penal Code 422 PC is a wobbler, which means that prosecutors may file it as either a misdemeanor or a felony. If you are convicted of the misdemeanor, you face up to one year in county jail. If you are convicted of the felony, you face up to four years in the California state prison.3 Using a dangerous or deadly weapon increases your sentence by one year.4

And because a criminal threats conviction is a "strike" under California's three strikes law, you must serve at least 85% of your sentence before you are eligible for release.
Even if in this case, it were considered a misdemeanor (hypothetically, if the family pressed charges), IMO that 1 year in jail should be multiplied by the number of family members the person threatened. He scared some kids pretty badly. It may have been traumatic for the youngest ones. Threatening to kill people, and even returning to their table, to continue (!), is not speech covered by the First Amendment. I think that's part of the problem in some of these cases; perpetrators think they're exercising their right to freedom of speech. Someone needs to teach them a lesson, that they're wrong.

Old 06-14-2020, 08:13 AM

11 posts, read 6,071 times
Ok, the guy who did this deserves to serve some jail time and pay penalties. What he did is disgusting. But let me ask you this, if a family were wearing MAGA shirts and somebody did this to them, would your response and outrage be the same? Because no matter which political agenda you follow, you have the same rights to wear a tshirt, even if I don't agree with the slogan on it.

Old 06-14-2020, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenJenMO71 View Post
Ok, the guy who did this deserves to serve some jail time and pay penalties. What he did is disgusting. But let me ask you this, if a family were wearing MAGA shirts and somebody did this to them, would your response and outrage be the same? Because no matter which political agenda you follow, you have the same rights to wear a tshirt, even if I don't agree with the slogan on it.
No matter what t-shirts anyone is wearing, yelling at people, including children, in a menacing fashion that you're going to kill them should be dealt with by law enforcement. It's illegal.

Period.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:30 AM

28,093 posts, read 31,783,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenJenMO71 View Post
Honestly, yeah, it is ridiculous to threaten people because you don't like their shirt. Although I'd probably just be surprised if I saw someone in Burlingame wearing one. And would probably just text my friends... and maybe take a discreet photo.

I think also doubling down and yelling and threatening a family is even more trashy. It would be less bad if it was just adults.

Old 06-15-2020, 04:29 PM
Status: "Guns don't kill people. The police kills people." (set 22 days ago)

1,591 posts, read 870,663 times
Steven Cibotti, arrested and charged. He is the father of a police officer.

https://twitter.com/_latinuh/status/1272111713505079298

Old 06-16-2020, 08:31 PM

6,059 posts, read 3,231,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Honestly, yeah, it is ridiculous to threaten people because you don't like their shirt. Although I'd probably just be surprised if I saw someone in Burlingame wearing one. And would probably just text my friends... and maybe take a discreet photo.

I think also doubling down and yelling and threatening a family is even more trashy. It would be less bad if it was just adults.
Why would you take their photo?

Don't they have the right to dine in a restaurant, even outdoors, without having their picture taken?

Old 06-17-2020, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Why would you take their photo?

Don't they have the right to dine in a restaurant, even outdoors, without having their picture taken?
No, that is not a right. There was an incident recently in another part of the country, where a guy was going around photographing women's cleavage not from a discreet distance, as Jade mentioned, but by getting up close to them, a foot or two away, so he could get the right angle to photograph down their dress. There was a big discussion about this on the Current Events forum here, as to whether women had a legal basis for a complaint.

They don't. Anyone can photograph anyone from any distance out in public. For that matter, anyone can photograph anyone in the privacy of their own backyard from a tree across the street, as we know from so many paparazzi photos of celebrities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or