Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times

Advertisements

P.S. Those "thugs" you referred to probably are the (pot) club bouncers, as someone else mentioned... there's always one HUGE dude outside the Vapor Room, who's actually a really sweet guy. Also a few tattoo shops there (I got my backpiece done at Idle Hand), so you may have taken their artists & clients for thuggish types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 09:21 PM

Location: A right angle directly south of Sac and east of the bay area
120 posts, read 385,713 times
Well I dont speak white people, but Im pretty sure "thug" is just analagous to "urban minority male between 18-28 who wears baggy cloths, maybe some dreads and some air jordans...."

typically a comment used when describing peoples character when often one actually knows little if anything about

Kind of like how ghetto does not describe an actual ghetto per se, but more or less where these urban minorties or "thugs" live.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoA's View Post
Well I dont speak white people, but Im pretty sure "thug" is just analagous to "urban minority male between 18-28 who wears baggy cloths, maybe some dreads and some air jordans...."

typically a comment used when describing peoples character when often one actually knows little if anything about

Kind of like how ghetto does not describe an actual ghetto per se, but more or less where these urban minorties or "thugs" live.
That's not what I meant by it, but I can't speak for Sassberto... And I'm not fluent in "white people" either, but do have some conversational knowledge. Oh, and the dude I mentioned in front of the Vapor is white (possibly part Latino), but does have dreads! I actually think he's kinda cute, LOL.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:45 PM

Btw, did you notice I put thug in quotes (in my first post), and also said "thuggish types?" Therefore I'm not describing their character, but rather how they are perceived based on their appearance... unless you stop and have a conversation, how else can one describe a stranger on the street? I'm sure you'd call me a yuppie if we crossed paths, even though I'm so far from that. But it's definitely not a race thing, at least not to me, since I've used "thug" to describe plenty of non-minority folks.

Old 04-28-2008, 09:51 PM

No if you crossed my path I would probably call you a white lady, and me and my people would have our own connotations for what that means. (its about as positive as a thug lable)... I mean how else could I describe a stranger on the street...Yea ive heard thug used to desbcribe whites and asians too, usually in a manner to point out that said "thug" is emulating urban black/hispanic culutre.

Im just going to put it out there, but its not exactly a positive way to describe someone you dont know, and it reflects on personality and upbringing. Which is why I dont describe people as thugs, unless of course they are "thugging" (robbing people, taunting and picking on people, being bullies, etc.)

Old 04-28-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
No if you crossed my path I would probably call you a white lady, and me and my people would have our own connotations for what that means. (its about as positive as a thug lable)... I mean how else could I describe a stranger on the street...Yea ive heard thug used to desbcribe whites and asians too, usually in a manner to point out that said "thug" is emulating urban black/hispanic culutre.

Im just going to put it out there, but its not exactly a positive way to describe someone you dont know, and it reflects on personality and upbringing. Which is why I dont describe people as thugs, unless of course they are "thugging" (robbing people, taunting and picking on people, being bullies, etc.)
It's not exactly a common part of my vocabulary either, but I do know what people mean... it's just slang, and most mean no harm in using it. Describing somebody simply as a "white lady" or "black guy" isn't very descriptive, so if you're trying to make a point about their appearance, it wouldn't mean much - would it?

Most strangers just call me "Red," to the point where I answer to it like a name - LOL. And as a heavily tattooed girl, I've been called much worse, but couldn't care less... when you're judged on an appearance you chose (clothing, jewelry, hair, etc), it's kinda stupid to complain about it. Dont'cha think? Anyway, off-topic!!

Old 04-28-2008, 10:01 PM

I just noticed something in your last post... how do you get off saying that "white lady" is negative, and then scold people for using thug negatively? How is it OK for you (or your buddies) to judge based on someone's race?? Racism is racism, no matter who it's aimed at, and I'd find that very hypocritical. I don't judge others based on ethnicity, and expect the same respect in return.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
It's not exactly a common part of my vocabulary either, but I do know what people mean... it's just slang, and most mean no harm in using it. Describing somebody simply as a "white lady" or "black guy" isn't very descriptive, so if you're trying to make a point about their appearance, it wouldn't mean much - would it?

Most strangers just call me "Red," to the point where I answer to it like a name - LOL. And as a heavily tattooed girl, I've been called much worse, but couldn't care less... when you're judged on an appearance you chose (clothing, jewelry, hair, etc), it's kinda stupid to complain about it. Dont'cha think? Anyway, off-topic!!

Yea well lets just say theres been alot of "harmless" slang used to describe my people, hmm let me count, theres ghetto, grimey, scumbags, sketchy/shady, thug, gangster, and we arnt even getting into the "harmless" playful racial epithats people seem to be SO fond of.

Like I said, describing some one as a "typical white lady" would have its own connotations in my society. About as positive as "thug".

I don't think this is off topic tho, infact, its on topic with alot of the dialouge weve been having. Kind of confirms alot of my previous assesments and assumptions about people, so thats always an ego booster.

Considering how much me and my people are judged, I think we should get presidental medals for the just how RARELY we complain about being judged. Most of the time we just sit there and take it because, well we have no choice! The indignities we suffer, a white person would be ready to storm congress if it happend to them on a daily basis.

Last edited by LetsGoA's; 04-28-2008 at 10:14 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I just noticed something in your last post... how do you get off saying that "white lady" is negative, and then scold people for using thug negatively? How is it OK for you (or your buddies) to judge based on someone's race?? Racism is racism, no matter who it's aimed at, and I'd find that very hypocritical. I don't judge others based on ethnicity, and expect the same respect in return.

Well its nothing personal but incase you didnt notice, my side didnt really START this whole racial dicotomey that we have in america, so any racism or distrust I have towards whites is more or less a result of being victimized. Its called reactionary or reverse racism. But im sure that concept is way over you, as you are white and I have yet to meet a white person who really understands this concept. Either way by saying white lady, it really just means white lady, who is scared of people of color AND OR knows little if anything about their world or what it is like to endure their struggles. Its not exactly using the N word.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:14 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,197,803 times
Quote:
Yea well lets just say theres been alot of "harmless" slang used to describe my people, hmm let me count, theres ghetto, grimey, scumbags, sketchy/shady, thug, gangster, and we arnt even getting into the "harmless" playful racial epithats people seem to be SO fond of.

Like I said, describing some one as a "typical white lady" would have its own connotations in my society. About as positive as "thug".

I don't think this is off topic tho, infact, its on topic with alot of the dialouge weve been having. Kind of confirms alot of my previous assesments and assumptions about people, so thats always an ego booster.

Considering how much me and my people are judged, I think we should get presidental medals for the just how RARELY we complain about being judged. Most of the time we just sit there and take it because, well we have no choice!
I just hate all this labelization of everything. Like what in hell is the difference between "people of color" and "colored people"? It drives me mad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland