U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2020, 04:27 PM

4,964 posts, read 1,211,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl529 View Post
I am both a clinical and a classroom instructor. The hospital settings vary from semester to semester, as they are not necessarily guaranteed.

Don't you mean professor instead of "classroom instructor" tho? The hospital settings are the same.....they are based on what clinical you teach. Like.....labor & delivery, critical care, med/surg or psych. It has to be according to specialty of the hospital which doesn't change. The hospital I worked at when I 1st moved to the BA did a lot of clinical rotations......the bigger it is, the more they take ofc. So I'm super curious to know about Sonoma State. The students rotate tho for each clinical & I know you can't teach them all.........so IMO it would be easier to figure out where you're moving from that.

edit: what hospital do you teach at & then we could give you some suggestions....or narrow it down to 2. You could also ask staff at the hospital AND ppl you work with at Sonoma State. It's something that is talked about a LOT IMO....specially among the nurses because a lot aren't permanent or we are moving to or from. I've already found a new job after less than a year myself.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 07-13-2020 at 04:57 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2020, 04:29 PM

299 posts, read 284,031 times
Here's a fire hazard map for North Ca:

https://www.kqed.org/news/11759209/m...risk-fire-zone

Can't help you with the power outages.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:24 PM

85,947 posts, read 79,137,238 times
Fires can happen almost anywhere. No one expected there to be a major one in the Santa Rosa area, but PG&E screwed up, and... oops! Instant homelessness, homes burnt to the ground, chaos.

Old 07-13-2020, 08:41 PM

4,266 posts, read 1,136,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msl529 View Post
Areas with the least fire issues in Marin/Napa/Sonoma Counties?
Awareness and prevention are key; become a part of a Firewise community/neighborhood to lessen risk/impact; Marin County leads the way in this regard.

Old 07-14-2020, 01:09 PM

25 posts, read 23,917 times
Thank you for the informative responses thus far. As I mentioned, this would be at least a year out, depending on many factors. I agree that I can ask co-workers about their experiences living in the vicinity of the school as well. I saw first-hand last year how some of them had to evacuate due to forced outages, even though the immediate danger in terms of fire was less ominous.

Tara- I appreciate your input but you don't seem to understand where I'm coming from. I prefer not to divulge here my entire schedule and where I teach and when. I know you have your background to draw upon and I am sure you have lots of experience. I have taught nursing for several years now, at three colleges, and I am aware of the different types of roles, locations, titles, etc. of nursing faculty. If you are curious about SSU's clinical schedule, you can look at their website. I don't know how many times I need to state that my clinical rotations, which cross two specialties over the course of our two-semester schedule, may change hospital sites from year to year and are not set in stone. This is for various reasons such as changes in faculty staffing, agreements with hospital corporations, etc.. I hope my sites do not change, but there is always the possibility that they will. All of the sites SSU uses are generally in or around the SSU area within 1 hour's drive or less. I am not looking to move near any particular hospital, but rather in the vicinity of the university so as to lessen my commute to school, which was up to 2 hours in each direction last Fall on some days.

This Fall I plan to stay in the area overnight for my two-day-in-a-row classes to lessen my commute and will see how that works out. That may be all I need to do in the future to solve my problem and spare myself the pain and agony of moving.

I plan to collect as much info as I can this fire season and will watch the shutdowns very carefully. I think that will be most helpful to me.

Thank you all for your input thus far.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:31 PM

119 posts, read 100,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
PG&E's PSPS's affected a large swath of Marin County last year. I work at an essential business in San Rafael, and we were on generator power for several days. Some parts of the county were impacted less so than others, but most populated areas experienced outages. I think the far south end of Marin was fine, but a commute from Sausalito to Rohnert Park wouldn't be much better than the commute from Martinez.

No. I live in the flats of Mill Valley. I had several power outages last year with one lasting 5 days. All of Sonoma County was under mandatory evacuation at one point and at that time all the SF hotels were full and most of the motels and hotels in the east bay were full as well. SF had power and Berkeley had power. The suburbs are at risk of fire, including Marin. In Marin obtaining fire insurance has become a big issue for a lot of people. Many people were dropped by their insurance companies. Some people have seen their coverage increase 500% and the insurance issue is not just for homes in the hills.

Think carefully about where you are going to relocate and the risks you're taking on.

Mandatory Evacuation Risk
If you're moving to an area where there is fire risk you need to plan on evacuating in an environment of Covid. Perhaps hotel rooms will not be as scarce as last year but do you want to be in a hotel during Covid?

Loss of Power Risk
There will be power outages in Marin and Sonoma Counties over the next 4 months. You need to figure out how you are going to generate power when its turned off. If you can't generate power you need to figure out how your going to store and cook food. I threw out a lot of food last year and had to rely on eating restaurant food from the restaurants that had generator power. If you have a tankless water heater plan on not having any hot water for showers or washing dishes.

Fire Insurance Risk
Covered above but do you want to buy a property now and find out next year you can't get insurance on it? Talk to some people in Marin and Sonoma about their insurance experiences. Its gotten worse every year for the last two years. Are you comfortable going without fire insurance or paying a premium to obtain coverage from sketchy company like Lloyds of London? For many those are the only two options.

I don't know if Albany or Richmond had power but I would be looking at some place in the east bay if I were you.

Old 07-18-2020, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflix View Post
I live in the flats of Mill Valley. I had several power outages last year with one lasting 5 days. All of Sonoma County was under mandatory evacuation at one point and at that time all the SF hotels were full and most of the motels and hotels in the east bay were full as well. SF had power and Berkeley had power. The suburbs are at risk of fire, including Marin. In Marin obtaining fire insurance has become a big issue for a lot of people.

Think carefully about where you are going to relocate and the risks you're taking on.
There's a difference between an unexpected power outage vs. a planned shutdown relative to wildfire, high winds and the reduction of risk; the five-day shutdown in Mill Valley (and elsewhere) last year was part of the latter (which is preemptive). There's also an enormous difference between (relatively small) fires which were contained quickly (such as Muir and the Fern Fire) vs. the Kincade (originating in SC). The former is relatively common during the wildfire season, but it's not quite the 'sky is falling' picture you paint when a community is prepared (as anyone who lives in the area, as OP does, should already know). This threat is part of the season in California. As I stated previously, however, Fire Safe Communities (i.e. Mill Valley) address power shutoffs as part of prevention/awareness in addition to community protection, disaster planning, buffer zones, emergency response and so on (even insurance issues).

Quote:
Many people were dropped by their insurance companies.
Insurance companies will drop coverage if risk isn't mitigated i.e. the homeowner must remove all trees and brush within several feet of the home, remove dead vegetation, refrain from storing 'junk' under decks or close to the home - and so on. Some simply refuse (or can't afford) to do so. (Again, this is where Fire Safe Communities can help dramatically from education to volunteer efforts). That said, there is the California FAIR plan when all else fails (in re: fire coverage) - when they've been dropped through no fault of their own.

Interestingly, however, your post doesn't sound as someone who is (pleased with) living in Mill Valley; why not move?

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 07-19-2020 at 12:01 AM..

Old 07-19-2020, 10:10 AM

119 posts, read 100,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
There's a difference between an unexpected power outage vs. a planned shutdown relative to wildfire, high winds and the reduction of risk; the five-day shutdown in Mill Valley (and elsewhere) last year was part of the latter (which is preemptive). There's also an enormous difference between (relatively small) fires which were contained quickly (such as Muir and the Fern Fire) vs. the Kincade (originating in SC). The former is relatively common during the wildfire season, but it's not quite the 'sky is falling' picture you paint when a community is prepared (as anyone who lives in the area, as OP does, should already know). This threat is part of the season in California. As I stated previously, however, Fire Safe Communities (i.e. Mill Valley) address power shutoffs as part of prevention/awareness in addition to community protection, disaster planning, buffer zones, emergency response and so on (even insurance issues).

Insurance companies will drop coverage if risk isn't mitigated i.e. the homeowner must remove all trees and brush within several feet of the home, remove dead vegetation, refrain from storing 'junk' under decks or close to the home - and so on. Some simply refuse (or can't afford) to do so. (Again, this is where Fire Safe Communities can help dramatically from education to volunteer efforts). That said, there is the California FAIR plan when all else fails (in re: fire coverage) - when they've been dropped through no fault of their own.

Interestingly, however, your post doesn't sound as someone who is (pleased with) living in Mill Valley; why not move?

I'm trying to help people understand the risks and what the current situation is like so they can make informed decisions and not be caught by surprise. Things have changed dramatically in the last few years. I've lived here for 20+ years. The fires have gotten much worse in the last few years. What we experienced in the last 2 years is not normal. The frequency and duration of the power shut offs were also unprecedented. Who cares if the power being off is a "preemptive" measure due to high winds? What PG&E did was something new that is now a part of living here and it is an exceptional burden. People need to be prepared for that. PG&E plans on turning the power off again. People need to be prepared for multiple power outages between now and the end of the year.

Nextdoor is littered with posts of people in Marin who have made all the improvements to the properties possible to mitigate the fire risk and their insurance company still dropped them. It like the old bank redlining. They have maps and if you live in a certain area you will not be covered. Every company is different of course but the point is they are mitigating their risk of loss by dropping people. You're clearly not informed on whats actually happening here. Senator McGuire just hosted a call to discuss this issue with the community in June.

https://patch.com/california/sonomav...re-season-prep

You sound like you're just reading about things and are offering opinions about matters you have no experience with.

Old 07-19-2020, 10:43 AM

4,964 posts, read 1,211,853 times
Quote:
I'm trying to help people understand the risks and what the current situation is like so they can make informed decisions and not be caught by surprise.

You sound like you're just reading about things and are offering opinions about matters you have no experience with.

IMO CorporateCowboy has given more helpful & SANE & SMART information in a couple of posts....AND talked about insurance & real ways to help & what type of community for O.P. to look for.....than you just saying that people get dropped from insurance & it goes up 500%. That's not understanding or right IMO....AND O.P. already lives in the area anyways so nothing about wildfires should be a surprise for pete's sakes! BUT...looking at your history of posts compared to CCs......so...um.....Ok...^^

PPl that live here really want to help...AND can recognize the fakes easier than they say they can recognize fake breasts IMO!

Old 07-19-2020, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I'm trying to help people understand the risks and what the current situation is like so they can make informed decisions and not be caught by surprise. Things have changed dramatically in the last few years.

What we experienced in the last 2 years is not normal.

You're clearly not informed on whats actually happening here.
The threat of wildfire (and its potential damage) isn't a surprise to anyone who lives in California - nor is PG&E's safety woes relative to the Kincade Fire (and several others in the past few years). Conditions play a large part in whether a wildfire is successfully contained (and maintenance relative to the aforementioned, which explains in large part why things have not been 'normal'). PG&E has been hit hard relative to this; and that's where the Golden State Energy Act comes into play.

That said, one gets to know the people who regularly post in the SF Forums; often, their motivation (and anger) is palpable - and easy to follow. One need not read the post/thread in its entirety to catch the attitude. My apology if I may have misread you. :-)

Quote:
Nextdoor is littered with posts of people in Marin who have made all the improvements to the properties possible to mitigate the fire risk and their insurance company still dropped them.
Read my post #17 again; I specifically addressed the California FAIR plan relative to those whose insurance may have been dropped through no fault of their own.

Quote:
Irony. Didn't you have to read Nextdoor and others' opinions (as quoted previously) before forming your own?

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 07-19-2020 at 12:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland