U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2020, 12:23 PM

86,034 posts, read 79,186,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
You need to give us your budget & job location for more help.
It's been 3 days now, since the OP was first asked for this basic info. Some new members aren't aware of how busy the forum is, and how many responses can build up in just a day or two, so they don't check back in a timely manner. Hopefully the OP will be back.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2020, 12:45 PM

5,012 posts, read 1,222,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoRabbit View Post
I'm looking to move into an apartment around the Bay Area. This will be my first actual apartment, and I'm concerned about pests, especially cockroaches, which I am extremely afraid of. Can anyone give tips on where in the Bay Area there are comparatively less cockroaches and other insects? In San Francisco itself? Or perhaps San Jose or another part of the Bay? If anyone has knowledge on what sort of apartments to look for or even specific apartment complexes, that would be appreciated as well.

I've never seen cockroaches here in over a year...whew...BUT....rentals in Sf in old buildings might be different. IMO that's not the kinda thing you can predict tho...unless you lived in a building with roaches. Just keep your apt. clean & roach proof it....don't keep dirty dishes in the sink or crumbs on the floor & get leaky stuff fixed. There are roach killer & bug sprays to line baseboards that you might wanna do anyways AND you can make natural sprays too.....good luck.

Old 07-27-2020, 12:57 AM

179 posts, read 380,802 times
I have not seen a single roach here in west Oakland. Since I moved here in April 2011. Do have some spiders. And Argentine ants. Heather of which bother me. Ps. I study insects as a hobby.

Old 07-27-2020, 07:50 PM

7,572 posts, read 5,204,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
I have lived in the SF Bay Area my entire life, with the exception of a few years in Europe, yet I have seen exactly 3 live cockroaches in my life. The first time was in Honolulu, in a cupboard of someone's kitchen during a time of extremely high humidity.

And later, twice at ethnic restaurants in the SF Bay Area, just as we were getting ready to eat.

The one that bothered me the most was when my husband and I were just settling into a planned, lovely sunset dinner at Gaylord India in San Francisco at Ghirardelli Square, a and I noticed a cockroach scurry across my purse. That time made me feel nauseated, and we left immediately. Yes, roaches are extremely creepy creatures.

Other than those food-related places in the 1980's, I have not ever encountered cockroaches. Just keep a clean kitchen and I doubt you'll ever see a cockroach in the Bay Area in a home. I'm not saying there aren't any in restaurants, but I wouldn't be concerned in a person's home.

You may have some odorous ant problems some seasons, though, in the SF Bay Area. According to the local ACE garden expert, nearly everyone is having ant problems right now. My fruit tree is dropping treats for the critters now.

No carpenter ants or fire ants, though.
This was my experience living in the Bay Area. I never saw a cockroach except 2 times in a restaurant and then in Hawaii where I opened the cubbard and one flew directly into my face. You have to be a complete slop to have them. But living in an apartment you don’t have control over your neighbors sloppiness.

Old 08-16-2020, 12:11 PM

47 posts, read 39,397 times
Spiders. Haven’t seen a single roach. And use an attic fogger for the spiders. Roof rats can also be problematic

Old 08-17-2020, 01:29 AM

32,255 posts, read 35,623,519 times
My first couple apartments back in the 80's were in Fremont and I never saw cockroaches, despite the fact that my roomies and I were not the best housekeepers. I did see silverfish once in awhile though but only enough to know what they are. I haven't lived in an apt for years though so I don't know much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland