U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 11:04 AM

881 posts, read 703,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
HIPPO is a non starter...

Put in my address and that was it citing elevated fire risk.

I do appreciate the lead because it was not one of the companies I knew about...

So far California Fair Plan is about the same as I am currently paying with the same dollar amount coverage but very little else...

I still have a month to figure out alternatives.

At least HIPPO did not make me fill out a long questionnaire to tell me no... I had my answer with just my address...

Costco is one that surprised me in saying a NO because two years ago it was my second choice and very good... I went with CSAA because I bundled with Auto... but Costco was slightly less with better coverage notwithstanding Auto...

One company that did quote uses $450 square foot to calculate which is much higher than CSAA and CSAA has guaranteed replacement looking at the same square footage.

They say it is replacement cost but hundreds of thousands more than my purchase price just two years ago for home and land... something wrong with this picture?
Sorry to hear it. At least Hippo didn't waste your time. Reminds me of when I tried to get a quote from State Farm, and after filling out a long online form, they just told me to call a local agent. Please. As for replacement cost being higher than purchase price a couple years ago, that sounds questionable to me. My replacement cost is going up 15% this year but is still well below the total purchase price 2 years ago. You don't need to buy the land again! I think the large replacement cost increases account for the Bay Area's tradesmen shortage and other issues we've seen as a result of the Tubbs Fire in Santa Rosa.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 11:11 AM

61,575 posts, read 4,652,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
HIPPO is a non starter...

Put in my address and that was it citing elevated fire risk.

I do appreciate the lead because it was not one of the companies I knew about...

So far California Fair Plan is about the same as I am currently paying with the same dollar amount coverage but very little else...

I still have a month to figure out alternatives.

At least HIPPO did not make me fill out a long questionnaire to tell me no... I had my answer with just my address...

Costco is one that surprised me in saying a NO because two years ago it was my second choice and very good... I went with CSAA because I bundled with Auto... but Costco was slightly less with better coverage notwithstanding Auto...

One company that did quote uses $450 square foot to calculate which is much higher than CSAA and CSAA has guaranteed replacement looking at the same square footage.

They say it is replacement cost but hundreds of thousands more than my purchase price just two years ago for home and land... something wrong with this picture?
No, if you have to rebuild from scratch, everything is much more expensive, plus new codes may also require expensive upgrades.
If you go with the Fair plan, I believe you can also buy a supplemental policy.

We lost our home in Paradise, so do not skimp on insurance.

Old 07-30-2020, 11:21 AM

27,233 posts, read 55,622,074 times
But it's 500k more than paid 23 months ago for land and structure and this was not a million dollar purchase and fell in line with SF median and average price...

Very sad so many lost homes... some like Coffee Park were not high fire risk...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or