U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 10:28 AM

2,565 posts, read 4,182,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smove-20 View Post
My husband is going to work in Silicon Valley . I might be wrong,but I am seeing Fremont , Los Gatos have good schools in South Bay.

Orinda looks beautiful , but I think my husband’s commute is going to be very long from here .
Do I need to worry about bush/ wild fire zone for my home search . Sorry if this is a silly question, I have just started my research and these things are coming up .
I think you're more likely to find the right home in your budget in Fremont vs Los Gatos. Los Gatos is wonderful, but very pricey. If you like the Los Gatos vibe but can't afford that much, my town of Danville feels very similar. It will be a longer commute, but has more of a community feel vs Fremont.

I think most Bay Area cities have potential fire risk, so its not isolated to one city over another. My recommendation would be to look on a map and not select a home that is near an open area or hillside if that's a concern. If you're further into the community (>1 mile from a hillside/field), your fire risk will be greatly diminished.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2020, 10:48 AM

85,930 posts, read 79,112,132 times
Orinda is not commutable to SV. Fremont is, and has decent schools, plus is a bit more affordable. We still need to know where in SV the job location is, in terms of the commute (i.e. from Fremont, would crossing a bridge be involved, or not), but either way, Fremont's a pretty good location. If he'll have some flexibility with work hours--even better. Or the employer might operate a commuter shuttle; he should look into that.

Just a note re: schools, if you decide on Fremont: the Asian tiger moms (and dads), and other high-achiever types aim for the south of town, so they can be in the Mission San Jose high school district, which is highly competitive, and very strong in STEM programs. That environment would crush a child prone to anxiety. Avoid.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:42 AM

11 posts, read 5,684 times
Thank you so much everyone . You guys rock . All these inputs , definitely going to help me take my decision .

Old 07-26-2020, 11:44 AM

3,677 posts, read 1,499,755 times
Menlo Park.
Quote:
My DH’s office wants him to move to bay area and he is going to work in Silicon Valley .

Currently we are living in Houston (sugar land )Texas with good rated schools assigned to our home . We have 2 kids , one is in middle school and and other one is in elementary. Please suggest me some suburbs with good schools near Silicon Valley . Maximum we can afford is 1.5M .

i also read in some other forums that the school admission is lottery based in sfo , is it true for suburbs ?

Old 07-26-2020, 11:53 AM

13,071 posts, read 7,910,723 times
Quote:
My husband is going to work in Silicon Valley . I might be wrong,but I am seeing Fremont , Los Gatos have good schools in South Bay.

Orinda looks beautiful , but I think my husband’s commute is going to be very long from here .
Do I need to worry about bush/ wild fire zone for my home search . Sorry if this is a silly question, I have just started my research and these things are coming up .
Silicon Valley is a pretty broad geographic location --- generally Santa Clara County and southern Alameda County, but can also extend into San Mateo County. Do you have a location of the office, such as Mountain View (where Google is located), Cupertino (Apple), Menlo Park (e.g. Facebook), Los Gatos (Netfilx)? It's pretty spread out.

Orinda is not very convenient for what we call "Silicon Valley" - you're correct. It's probably better for commuting into downtown SF with its BART connection.

Old 07-26-2020, 11:53 AM

85,930 posts, read 79,112,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Menlo Park.
Great community, if you can afford it. Nice, small-town feel. Worth checking out. Nice little downtown. Fremont doesn't really have an organized downtown, but it has some nice parks, including a regional park with bike/walk trails on the Bay. Also, both cities have train service to San Jose, if that's what you mean by "Silicon Valley".

Old 07-26-2020, 08:06 PM

58 posts, read 37,339 times
Almaden Valley has some decent homes for $1.5m but that's generally on the lower end in that neighborhood. Decent commute to Palo Alto/Menlo Park and DTSJ depending on where your husband works. Leland is zoned to the neighborhood which is a really good school.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:07 PM

233 posts, read 142,617 times
I second this. Leland area is very nice. More affordable than Cupertino or Los Gatos. Leland also doesn't have the pressure cooker schools that Fremont has. I would consider the top 3 High schools in Fremont (American, Mission San Jose and Irvington) to be pressure cooker schools (sort of like Clements High in Sugar Land, MSJ is a lot worse than Clements). 1.5 mil is def lower end and won't get you a very nice house in the Leland area. Increasing your budget by 300K will get you very nice homes in the Leland High School zone.

Leigh High is nice too. Right next to Leland. Ranked usually just slightly lower or the same as Leland. Homes around the same price range as Leland (1.5 mil is lower end of spectrum).

The Evergreen Valley High district is another nice area with phenomenal schools and homes that are just around your budget, maybe a little higher like in the Leland area. Evergreen Valley High has a more competitive atmosphere I feel than Leland High.

Milpitas High is also a very good high school. The homes are slightly cheaper than EV and Leland and in your budget range.

A little further out and there is San Ramon, Dublin and Pleasanton, both cities with excellent school districts (Amador Valley, Foothill, Dublin, Dougherty Valley, California). Your money can go a little bit further here than in Silicon Valley. However if you are working in Silicon Valley the commute maybe a bit of a headache.

Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Gatos, most of the suburbs in San Mateo county and parts of Santa Clara are nice areas with really excellent school districts but are outside of your budget.

The only area in San Mateo County with nice schools that 1.5mil could afford is the Aragon High School district. But the house will be very small. Same goes with Millbrae and Burlingame.

Do note that some of these schools have huge Asian populations. I know your from Sugar Land which has a huge Asian population but the amount of Asians in the Bay Area is on a whole other level. Evergreen Valley High and Milpitas High are majority Asian (70+%), Mission San Jose is 90% Asian. There are very few white people in some of these schools (less than 20 or even 10% in many cases). If you are Caucasian and grew up being the majority, there may be some culture shock going to some of these schools. In general, schools in the Bay Area are a lot more competitive than the average high school in Texas. Now, if you lived near Clements High in Sugar Land then it may be less of a culture shock.

Last edited by ATLForr; 07-26-2020 at 09:16 PM..

Old 07-26-2020, 09:17 PM

13,071 posts, read 7,910,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post

Do note that some of these schools have huge Asian populations. I know your from Sugar Land which has a huge Asian population but the amount of Asians in the Bay Area is on a whole other level. Evergreen Valley High and Milpitas High are majority Asian (70+%), Mission San Jose is 90% Asian. There are very few white people in some of these schools (less than 20 or even 10% in many cases). If you are Caucasian and grew up being the majority, there may be some culture shock going to some of these schools. In general, schools in the Bay Area are a lot more competitive than the average high school in Texas. Now, if you lived near Clements High in Sugar Land then it may be less of a culture shock.
Holy smokes, I didn't know that Clements High in Sugarland was about 75% Asian. That's pretty much the proportion of some schools here like Lynbrook, Monta Vista in the Cupertino area, and Mission in Fremont.

Old 07-26-2020, 09:45 PM

233 posts, read 142,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Holy smokes, I didn't know that Clements High in Sugarland was about 75% Asian. That's pretty much the proportion of some schools here like Lynbrook, Monta Vista in the Cupertino area, and Mission in Fremont.
It isn’t that high but it still has a Asian majority (53%). Some elementary schools in Sugar Land I believe are around 75% Asian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or