U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 10:58 PM

243 posts, read 213,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smove-20 View Post
Thank you so much everyone . You guys rock . All these inputs , definitely going to help me take my decision .
Re fire risk, here's a link that might help.

https://www.latimes.com/projects/wil...ne-lookup-map/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2020, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 5,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLForr View Post
I second this. Leland area is very nice. More affordable than Cupertino or Los Gatos. Leland also doesn't have the pressure cooker schools that Fremont has. I would consider the top 3 High schools in Fremont (American, Mission San Jose and Irvington) to be pressure cooker schools (sort of like Clements High in Sugar Land, MSJ is a lot worse than Clements). 1.5 mil is def lower end and won't get you a very nice house in the Leland area. Increasing your budget by 300K will get you very nice homes in the Leland High School zone.

Leigh High is nice too. Right next to Leland. Ranked usually just slightly lower or the same as Leland. Homes around the same price range as Leland (1.5 mil is lower end of spectrum).

The Evergreen Valley High district is another nice area with phenomenal schools and homes that are just around your budget, maybe a little higher like in the Leland area. Evergreen Valley High has a more competitive atmosphere I feel than Leland High.

Milpitas High is also a very good high school. The homes are slightly cheaper than EV and Leland and in your budget range.

A little further out and there is San Ramon, Dublin and Pleasanton, both cities with excellent school districts (Amador Valley, Foothill, Dublin, Dougherty Valley, California). Your money can go a little bit further here than in Silicon Valley. However if you are working in Silicon Valley the commute maybe a bit of a headache.

Sunnyvale, Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Gatos, most of the suburbs in San Mateo county and parts of Santa Clara are nice areas with really excellent school districts but are outside of your budget.

The only area in San Mateo County with nice schools that 1.5mil could afford is the Aragon High School district. But the house will be very small. Same goes with Millbrae and Burlingame.

Do note that some of these schools have huge Asian populations. I know your from Sugar Land which has a huge Asian population but the amount of Asians in the Bay Area is on a whole other level. Evergreen Valley High and Milpitas High are majority Asian (70+%), Mission San Jose is 90% Asian. There are very few white people in some of these schools (less than 20 or even 10% in many cases). If you are Caucasian and grew up being the majority, there may be some culture shock going to some of these schools. In general, schools in the Bay Area are a lot more competitive than the average high school in Texas. Now, if you lived near Clements High in Sugar Land then it may be less of a culture shock.
Thank yo for your insight . Currently our house is zoned to colony meadow ES, fort settlement MS , clements HS . I have heard a lot about Clements HS being a pressure cooker. Our Original plan was to move to Katy side in near future .

But since my husband got this offer to move to bay area , i am evaluating all my options . As i said my older one is really focused on academics(not interested in any sports ) she is doing well here despite of her anxiety issue . She does not like a lot of changes .so as a mom i need to do my homework before moving so that she does need to change the school again .

We can increase our budget to 1.8M (i don't want to tho) and my husband is going to work in Cupertino mostly with occasional travel to Los Gatos .

Old 07-27-2020, 04:56 PM

12,936 posts, read 7,887,363 times
Quote:
Thank yo for your insight . Currently our house is zoned to colony meadow ES, fort settlement MS , clements HS . I have heard a lot about Clements HS being a pressure cooker. Our Original plan was to move to Katy side in near future .

But since my husband got this offer to move to bay area , i am evaluating all my options . As i said my older one is really focused on academics(not interested in any sports ) she is doing well here despite of her anxiety issue . She does not like a lot of changes .so as a mom i need to do my homework before moving so that she does need to change the school again .

We can increase our budget to 1.8M (i don't want to tho) and my husband is going to work in Cupertino mostly with occasional travel to Los Gatos .
You may want to consider Campbell - it's geographically between Cupertino and Los Gatos - actually it borders Los Gatos. It's not as pricey as either CPT or LG - so you may want to have a look. Schools are decent though not hypercompetitive as Cupertino's or Saratoga's.

Old 07-27-2020, 05:49 PM

58 posts, read 37,307 times
Prospect, Branham and Westmont are also good schools which have decent homes in their zones for $1.5m.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:43 PM

2,301 posts, read 5,119,006 times
Quote:

It's been mentioned already, but I'd agree that the Almaden Valley area (zip code 95120) of San Jose is a good option based on your criteria. The schools are highly rated but the area isn't as expensive as neighboring Los Gatos or even Campbell for the most part. You really can't even tell when you've crossed the border from SJ to Los Gatos and vice versa, but the SJ real estate is less expensive. It's a very scenic and safe part of SJ and your husband's commute wouldn't be too awful to Cupertino once pre-COVID traffic levels return. The commute to Los Gatos would be very easy.

Old 07-28-2020, 05:48 PM

3,592 posts, read 1,445,857 times
I graduated from Palo Alto Senior High. Good school, or at least it was 20 years ago, have no idea now. Their other high school, Gunn, was rated even more highly. But 1.5m? That was a stretch even back then, I remember it being around $1000/sf to buy, and it’s worse now. If you can swing it, PA is great for schools, but feels a bit like an enclave even within a large metro area.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:16 PM

11 posts, read 5,578 times
ok , looking at all the replies , I think we need to increase our budget . Initially we were thinking about putting 30% down on the 1.5M budget .

so new budget is 1.8M to 2M with 20% down .
My options are Freemont ,Almaden Valley,Campbell , Branham, Westmont ,melno park, dublin . Am I missing anything ?

Old 07-28-2020, 07:24 PM

3,592 posts, read 1,445,857 times
Fremont, if you can get within the Mission San Jose High School district is fantastic. Interesting location between a kinda reborn Oakland and the suburban paradise and malls of the Santa Clara Valley. Nice access to the hills too.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:34 AM

85,782 posts, read 79,070,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Fremont, if you can get within the Mission San Jose High School district is fantastic. Interesting location between a kinda reborn Oakland and the suburban paradise and malls of the Santa Clara Valley. Nice access to the hills too.
No, the OP doesn't want to be in the Mission San Jose High district. The school is too high-pressure for her oldest. Fremont schools are fine.

Old 07-29-2020, 09:46 AM

191 posts, read 298,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, the OP doesn't want to be in the Mission San Jose High district. The school is too high-pressure for her oldest. Fremont schools are fine.
And I think the same applies for Palo Alto and Cupertino schools as well. At least word of mouth is that they are very high pressure as well. Not sure about others in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or