U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2020, 10:39 AM

58 posts, read 37,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwestcoast View Post
And I think the same applies for Palo Alto and Cupertino schools as well. At least word of mouth is that they are very high pressure as well. Not sure about others in the area.
Considering lower end homes are significantly more than $1.5m in both Palo Alto and Cupertino I doubt the OP will be looking there.

Last edited by TheStat; 07-29-2020 at 10:53 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2020, 11:11 AM

191 posts, read 298,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStat View Post
Considering lower end homes are significantly more than $1.5m in both Palo Alto and Cupertino I doubt the OP will be looking there.
Yes but OP did just mention increasing their budget and other posters were still recommending these locations so thought it might help to point that out.

Old 07-29-2020, 12:39 PM

11 posts, read 5,684 times
Thank you so much guys for all the informations . I need my last dumb question to be answered, what do you consider a “good school “ ?

Here , the schools zoned to us have 10 ratings in great school website . I know it’s based on only test score and does not represent the quality of teaching and the environment.

Since we don’t have any friends or relatives living in Bay Area , I don’t know how to evaluate a school other than looking at great school site . The homes, I am looking at in (Those are in my budget )have 6-8 ratings . Am I missing anything? No middle school has rating more than 9. I am also going through the reviews, but it is lot to process now .

Sorry, if I am being insensitive/ or asking too much .

Last edited by Smove-20; 07-29-2020 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-29-2020, 06:36 PM

880 posts, read 703,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smove-20 View Post
Thank you so much guys for all the informations . I need my last dumb question to be answered, what do you consider a “good school “ ?

Here , the schools zoned to us have 10 ratings in great school website . I know it’s based on only test score and does not represent the quality of teaching and the environment.

Since we don’t have any friends or relatives living in Bay Area , I don’t know how to evaluate a school other than looking at great school site . The homes, I am looking at in (Those are in my budget )have 6-8 ratings . Am I missing anything? No middle school has rating more than 9. I am also going through the reviews, but it is lot to process now .

As an urban area in California, don't expect many 10's here in the Bay Area. Great Schools is as good a resource as I've found (as a non-parent). Schools in my town (Richmond) tend to score in the 1-3 range and have a bad reputation. However, the nearby town of Albany is known for great schools and they are in the 8-10 range. The town between us (El Cerrito) is known for having okay schools and typically score 5 or 6. I am hoping to have a kid at some point, and I would not send him/her to anything less than a 5. My high school (in the San Diego area) currently ranks as a 4 and I turned out just fine with good parenting, but I'm hoping for generational improvement!

Old 07-29-2020, 07:04 PM

85,930 posts, read 79,112,132 times
Quote:

8-10 range is nothing to complain about, OP. If you can get in that type of district, go for it!

Old 07-29-2020, 11:46 PM

191 posts, read 298,968 times
Quote:

Sites like Great Schools are a good starting point but ultimately do not paint the whole picture. Having recently looked into districts myself, I can say that their methodologies rely on test scores more than anything else, though I believe the score is now also affected by the equality of a school as well. To go beyond score-based assessments you should (assuming no local contacts you can connect with, which would be my first choice) try seeing if there are school reviews by students or parents on any sites. Niche seems to have a good amount of reviews supposedly from students, at least for local high schools, for what it's worth.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:31 AM

7,159 posts, read 19,874,205 times
Seems like this thread should get moved to the San Jose forum.

Having said that, considering the Cupertino and Los Gatos office locations, I'm going to second Campbell and add the Cambrian Park neighborhood of San Jose. Your updated budget is healthy for these areas and won't make you feel like you're at the bottom of the ladder. I live in the southern part of Campbell and it is extremely family friendly. Safety is pretty much a non-issue. My kids are younger, but the schools have been great thus far. Keep in mind, most kids' parents work in tech, so regardless of a school's rating, you'll be in a highly educated area. There are a lot of Apple, Netflix, and Google folks near me and even some Facebook workers in case that matters to you.

Old 07-31-2020, 11:40 AM

11 posts, read 5,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Seems like this thread should get moved to the San Jose forum.

Having said that, considering the Cupertino and Los Gatos office locations, I'm going to second Campbell and add the Cambrian Park neighborhood of San Jose. Your updated budget is healthy for these areas and won't make you feel like you're at the bottom of the ladder. I live in the southern part of Campbell and it is extremely family friendly. Safety is pretty much a non-issue. My kids are younger, but the schools have been great thus far. Keep in mind, most kids' parents work in tech, so regardless of a school's rating, you'll be in a highly educated area. There are a lot of Apple, Netflix, and Google folks near me and even some Facebook workers in case that matters to you.
Thanks for the post .
I never realized that there is another forum for San Jose . I am learning new things with every post here

Old 07-31-2020, 08:01 PM

50 posts, read 34,127 times
Pleasanton would be worth looking at.

Old 08-01-2020, 07:03 PM

58 posts, read 37,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCGmkc View Post
Pleasanton would be worth looking at.
Commuting from Pleasanton to Cupertino would really suck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or