U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-25-2020, 11:22 AM
 
11 posts, read 5,684 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

My DH’s office wants him to move to bay area and he is going to work in Silicon Valley .

Currently we are living in Houston (sugar land )Texas with good rated schools assigned to our home . We have 2 kids , one is in middle school and and other one is in elementary. Please suggest me some suburbs with good schools near Silicon Valley . Maximum we can afford is 1.5M .

i also read in some other forums that the school admission is lottery based in sfo , is it true for suburbs ?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2020, 11:35 AM
 
2,565 posts, read 4,182,428 times
Reputation: 3104
I think the top school districts near the Silicon Valley will be tough to find what you're looking for in your budget, unless you're open to a condo/townhouse/tiny bungalow. Areas with great schools near the Silicon Valley include Los Gatos, Saratoga, Cupertino, Los Altos and Palo Alto. Take a look for yourself on Zillow or Redfin.

If you're willing to commute further, you can get more for your money and find a nicer home in that price range. You could look at Fremont or over the Sunol Grade into the tri-valley (Pleasanton, San Ramon, Danville). This would be a longer commute, but with COVID changing the work requirements, perhaps you can spend more days working remotely and less time in the actual office (so it may not matter).

We previously owned a townhouse in Mountain View and have two young kids. When it came time to look for a home, our budget was in the low $1 million range (this was 2014). We found that when we looked at top school districts in the Silicon Valley, we really couldn't get the type of home we wanted in the Silicon Valley for under $2M (more like $3M for Palo Alto). We ended up making the move to Danville and are very pleased with the community, school quality and relative value for your money (by Bay Area standards).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 11:54 AM
 
11 posts, read 5,684 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ;58737569
I think the top school districts near the Silicon Valley will be tough to find what you're looking for in your budget, unless you're open to a condo/townhouse/tiny bungalow. Areas with great schools near the Silicon Valley include Los Gatos, Saratoga, Cupertino, Los Altos and Palo Alto. Take a look for yourself on Zillow or Redfin.

If you're willing to commute further, you can get more for your money and find a nicer home in that price range. You could look at Fremont or over the Sunol Grade into the tri-valley (Pleasanton, San Ramon, Danville). This would be a longer commute, but with COVID changing the work requirements, perhaps you can spend more days working remotely and less time in the actual office (so it may not matter).

We previously owned a townhouse in Mountain View and have two young kids. When it came time to look for a home, our budget was in the low $1 million range (this was 2014). We found that when we looked at top school districts in the Silicon Valley, we really couldn't get the type of home we wanted in the Silicon Valley for under $2M (more like $3M for Palo Alto). We ended up making the move to Danville and are very pleased with the community, school quality and relative value for your money (by Bay Area standards).
Thank you so much for your reply . I really appreciate it . Are there any lottery system in suburbs? Or kids can go to zoned schools.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 11:57 AM
 
2,565 posts, read 4,182,428 times
Reputation: 3104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smove-20 View Post
Thank you so much for your reply . I really appreciate it . Are there any lottery system in suburbs? Or kids can go to zoned schools.
I can't speak for all suburbs (I only am familiar with where I live in Danville). Here it is based upon zones. However, I know you can apply to have your child attend a different school. Its not lottery based, but space permitting (e.g., they'll give first priority to those that live within the school district boundaries).
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 01:36 PM
 
59 posts, read 78,983 times
Reputation: 51
The only school system that I know of in the Bay Area that used a lottery system is San Francisco's. If you are not familiar with it already, check out greatschools.org to read up on school districts in the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 02:04 PM
 
11 posts, read 5,684 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMateoMom View Post
The only school system that I know of in the Bay Area that used a lottery system is San Francisco's. If you are not familiar with it already, check out greatschools.org to read up on school districts in the area.
Thank you so much for the info . I just started my research. Learning about the school system. It’s very different than Texas .

My older one is good in academics (ONLY) and She does not like changes too much (has anxiety issue). That’s why I want to do my research before we move .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 02:08 PM
 
59 posts, read 78,983 times
Reputation: 51
Some of the most highly-rated school districts (such as Palo Alto and Cupertino) are competitive environments, from my understanding, and may be difficult for a child who has tendencies toward anxiety. Best wishes in finding a district that balances good academics with good mental health. I think Burlingame probably has a good school district, but it comes with a higher price tag. You might also look at Fremont. Hopefully you'll find one that works welll for your family in terms of academics, mental health, and finances.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 02:42 PM
 
11 posts, read 5,684 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanMateoMom View Post
Some of the most highly-rated school districts (such as Palo Alto and Cupertino) are competitive environments, from my understanding, and may be difficult for a child who has tendencies toward anxiety. Best wishes in finding a district that balances good academics with good mental health. I think Burlingame probably has a good school district, but it comes with a higher price tag. You might also look at Fremont. Hopefully you'll find one that works welll for your family in terms of academics, mental health, and finances.
Thanks for your inputs .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2020, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
13,071 posts, read 7,910,723 times
Reputation: 7844
If you're coming from the Houston area, you're going to have to get used to having smaller square footage here, and that's alright, because you're likely to be outside more - we're not as hot and humid as where you are.

Where is your spouse's office going to be located? That may also play a determining factor on where you should focus on to minimize commuting, though with the pandemic on, that may be less of an issue.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2020, 10:19 AM
 
11 posts, read 5,684 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
If you're coming from the Houston area, you're going to have to get used to having smaller square footage here, and that's alright, because you're likely to be outside more - we're not as hot and humid as where you are.

Where is your spouse's office going to be located? That may also play a determining factor on where you should focus on to minimize commuting, though with the pandemic on, that may be less of an issue.
My husband is going to work in Silicon Valley . I might be wrong,but I am seeing Fremont , Los Gatos have good schools in South Bay.

Orinda looks beautiful , but I think my husband’s commute is going to be very long from here .
Do I need to worry about bush/ wild fire zone for my home search . Sorry if this is a silly question, I have just started my research and these things are coming up .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top