Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 03:04 PM

490 posts, read 832,317 times

Advertisements

So after the lockdown in Sac, I’ve been missing the SF Bay Area and want to drive down for a day, park somewhere along the bay side anywhere from the Berkeley Marina to further on down south, park and enjoy the view of SF across the Bay, and go on a walk. I also want to hit up a few of my favorite eateries and grab something to go.

I’ve read one article where it was said that there is some risk from being by the bay/ocean during COVID, that has to do with how the wind may carry the virus, and it didn’t seem to be restricted to highly populated areas. So I was wondering if there may be anything to that... Where I intend to go, there are not a lot of people. I ma pass by the occasional person going the opposite direction while walking along the paved path and I’d make sure to keep my distance when passing by each other. Then I might just enjoy the view from inside of my car for a while as well.

Aside from that I’d be in and out of a few favorite eateries, ordering to go. Maybe I’d have to make a rest stop at a gas station or rest stop to use the bathroom.

I’m not planning on going to Downtown SF, Pier 39, ride the BART or FERRY anything like that..

In Sac, I am limiting my outings to Costco, super markets, and getting take-out. But I don’t know if things are comparatively worse in the Bay Area right now or not. There were some protests going on earlier so that kind of kept me away but it seems to have settled down.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2020, 03:07 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,430,624 times
I would think the wind actually helps disperse COVID and reduce the risk.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:48 PM

352 posts, read 431,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsdude View Post
I’ve read one article where it was said that there is some risk from being by the bay/ocean during COVID, that has to do with how the wind may carry the virus, and it didn’t seem to be restricted to highly populated areas.
If COVID was transmitted this way, we would all have it. If anything, the wind disperses the virus (as the other poster mentioned). Being outdoors away from people is about the safest place to be.

Although I personally believe no one should be traveling outside their local vicinity, what you are proposing is pretty low risk.

You sound like a pretty prudent person. Bring hand sanitizer and multiple masks. Even when outside, carry a mask with you and practice social distancing.

You should be fine.

Old 07-28-2020, 06:50 PM

127,738 posts, read 11,782,774 times
Check if the restaurants (your favorite ones) are open to do take out. Some are not.

Old 07-28-2020, 07:36 PM

264 posts, read 281,620 times
There are so many nice parks with few people there - walk around Berkeley Marina or Golden Gate park Keep a mask handy and get some take out food. If you see a lot of people, stay away - Could also recommend Bernal Heights Park, Golden Gate heights Park, crocker Amazon. We have rediscovered the city.

Old 07-28-2020, 08:36 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,475,808 times
Sounds like a reasonable idea if you play it safe. Do check to see if your favorite restaurants are open for takeout. My only warning would be to stay away from Lake Merritt in Oakland. There have been a lot of gatherings there, and local health officials suspect that this is contributing to an uptick in Bay Area COVID cases.

Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 AM

6,875 posts, read 8,172,266 times
Hey OP,
I live in Sacramento and we've been taking day trips all over NorCal. We've been doing day trips 30 minutes to 2hrs radius from Sacramento:

We've Rediscoveed all those little Alpine lakes in the High Sierra-Hiking trails. We've done hiking trails near or on all 3 forks of the American River in the Gold Country, Yuba River Nevada City, Auburn to Placerville, Folsom Lake, Jenkinson Lake-Sly Park area, Calaveras Sequoia Big Trees was fun and then you can stop at Calaveras County wineries in the Murphys area.

Rediscovering Highway 49, what a gem. Amador County Wine Country-Jackson/Sutter Creek. Cute, clean Sierra foothill towns.

Bay Area: Seriously avoid SF and East Bay, instead do Napa, Sonoma, Marin counties, so much prettier and cleaner.

Avoid the Carquinez Bridge and Bay Bridge and cut across to Highway 37 to Novato, and rediscover Marin County, from the redwoods to the beaches, walks in Belvedere-Tiburon-Richardson Bay. Some of the best views of the Bay, Golden Gate and SF are from Belvederre-Tiburon. Hike Mt. Tam.; Walk Stinson Beach or Muir Beach.

As for SF: do the walks/hikes in the Presidio, or if you are missing cold winter weather, take a walk on UGLY Ocean Beach.

Last edited by Chimérique; 07-29-2020 at 02:22 AM..

Old 07-29-2020, 10:43 AM

102,063 posts, read 106,917,029 times
You were saying, the Berkeley Marina? The park was closed in the early stages of Covid. IDK if it's been opened up. And where you thinking of hitting some eateries on University Ave or Shattuck? Call ahead to order take-out, and you should be ok.

Here's an East Bay Parks website, for info on what parks are open, which are closed. I'd be tempted to go up to Tilden, if you want to walk around and enjoy the view. Some parks have been closed to vehicle traffic, but allow foot traffic. https://www.ebparks.org/parks/default.htm

Old 07-29-2020, 08:24 PM

7,665 posts, read 5,379,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I would think the wind actually helps disperse COVID and reduce the risk.
Wouldn't that depend upon whether the wind is at the back of a super spreader facing you and you get a powerful blast of their germs in your face all at once?

Old 07-30-2020, 12:01 AM

6,875 posts, read 8,172,266 times
Hey OP,
I do recommend that you always wear a mask. Keep hand sanitizer on you at all times in the parks and on the trails, and use it often. Stay clear of other people you don't know, at least six feet between you and them. Don't congregate with others in the parks or trails.

So far, I've seen 99% of the folks on the trails have been wearing masks and avoiding each other, friendly "Hellos" and "Stay Safe" have been the most people say to each out in parks/trails, etc.

Always wash your hands throughly after being outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland