Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 05:47 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Berkley might be perfect.
I meant Berkeley!!!! (Wait, is that right? It looks weird.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 05:52 PM

102,183 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I meant Berkeley!!!! (Wait, is that right? It looks weird.)
lol Yes, it's right. Just remember, that it has 3 E's. Berk-e-ley.

I hope the OP returns to tell us what location/s she's narrowed her options down to.

Old 08-05-2020, 08:29 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

I hope the OP returns to tell us what location/s she's narrowed her options down to.

We're waiting for her to return too!

Old 08-11-2020, 04:04 PM

2,889 posts, read 1,994,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Good luck. You'll have to figure out where your job is, and how much it pays, before you can hone in on schools and housing. Traffic isn't quite as much of a nightmare in the Bay Area as it is in LA, but that's not saying much. Cost of housing here is obscene compared to the rest of the state, especially the closer to Silicon Valley you are. Honestly, unless you land a job that pays 6 figures, you'll be better off finding something in Sacramento or San Diego. Also consider lower cost areas. Bakersfield and Fresno don't have much to offer, but perhaps you can find something in a slightly less awful Central Valley haunt like Merced or a pleasant, affordable town like Chico (both with universities).

Merced has some charm and potential, but it's not better than Fresno or even Bakersfield. She could move to somewhere in Madera county and commute to Fresno State if she doesn't want to be in Fresno. Lots of cheap housing in Madera county. She could also live in the foothills of Bakersfield and go to school at csub.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:20 PM

10,289 posts, read 6,813,150 times
Let's see...

This is a toughie.

Hmmm....

No retirement?

Hmmm....

Old 08-12-2020, 01:17 AM

5 posts, read 2,924 times
All very good food for thought everyone--thank you. Unfortunately I haven't really narrowed much of anything. Divorce is moving at a glacial pace since the courts are running on a skeleton crew (thanks covid-19), and it's looking like I need at least a year to brush up on some tech skills if I can. I am PRAYING I got the part-time job I interviewed for at a local tech company here this week, which would buy me some time.

I have so many friends and colleagues that are in similar straits I often wonder if we should form a damned commune. Everybody was doing great until about June...and then half of them lost their jobs, and many are on the verge of divorce as well. It's gonna be a rough few years.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalfriend View Post
All very good food for thought everyone--thank you. Unfortunately I haven't really narrowed much of anything. Divorce is moving at a glacial pace since the courts are running on a skeleton crew (thanks covid-19), and it's looking like I need at least a year to brush up on some tech skills if I can. I am PRAYING I got the part-time job I interviewed for at a local tech company here this week, which would buy me some time.

I have so many friends and colleagues that are in similar straits I often wonder if we should form a damned commune. Everybody was doing great until about June...and then half of them lost their jobs, and many are on the verge of divorce as well. It's gonna be a rough few years.
Wow, thanks for the update, OP! We'll pray with you, that you get that job. And stay well! Don't take your health for granted.
The delay in your divorce and move at least gives you plenty of time to research your relocation options.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:53 AM

827 posts, read 658,903 times
Most anyplace other than California will work for me.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
Most anyplace other than California will work for me.
Thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland