Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2020, 03:03 AM

5 posts, read 2,925 times

Advertisements

Getting a divorce on the central coast and considering moving north for work. Will probably have two older kiddos with me so would need to be fairly close to community colleges and CSUs. I'm mid-40s so I don't need a real nightlife but I do like artsy areas (public art, bookstores, community gardens, etc), and traffic drives me insane (it's why I left SoCal). Will be aiming for technical support desk or cloud-based tech to start, the former really does not pay great, and I will probably come out of the divorce poor as f***. Will need a Trader Joes within some kind of not totally insane driving distance (dietary issues).

Was thinking about Vallejo, Concord, Vacaville...I'm not sure where the jobs OR the affordable areas (if there is such a thing) are. And I have no family to help or retirement to dip into. Help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2020, 10:54 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by universalfriend View Post
Getting a divorce on the central coast and considering moving north for work. Will probably have two older kiddos with me so would need to be fairly close to community colleges and CSUs. I'm mid-40s so I don't need a real nightlife but I do like artsy areas (public art, bookstores, community gardens, etc), and traffic drives me insane (it's why I left SoCal). Will be aiming for technical support desk or cloud-based tech to start, the former really does not pay great, and I will probably come out of the divorce poor as f***. Will need a Trader Joes within some kind of not totally insane driving distance (dietary issues).

Was thinking about Vallejo, Concord, Vacaville...I'm not sure where the jobs OR the affordable areas (if there is such a thing) are. And I have no family to help or retirement to dip into. Help?

IMO....look for & find a job 1st before you do anything. Then you will know if it's possible & what areas you can afford. Since you have 2 children, you need to be responsible...AND realistic about it. Don't get too obsessive & good luck...........

Old 07-30-2020, 11:14 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
Good luck. You'll have to figure out where your job is, and how much it pays, before you can hone in on schools and housing. Traffic isn't quite as much of a nightmare in the Bay Area as it is in LA, but that's not saying much. Cost of housing here is obscene compared to the rest of the state, especially the closer to Silicon Valley you are. Honestly, unless you land a job that pays 6 figures, you'll be better off finding something in Sacramento or San Diego. Also consider lower cost areas. Bakersfield and Fresno don't have much to offer, but perhaps you can find something in a slightly less awful Central Valley haunt like Merced or a pleasant, affordable town like Chico (both with universities).

Old 07-30-2020, 11:39 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Sacramento sounds like a good idea. Some of the suburbs are cheaper than in town (and some have good schools), but rents in the city are lower than in LA or Bay Area. See the Sacramento sub-forum for more detailed info. You could also look at Davis, which has a UC, but rents are a little more competitive than in Sac, because of the student population. (Although there isn't one right now, due to Covid. It's not clear how that's affecting rents, if at all.)

Universities need techies, btw, as well as state government entities, corporate businesses, etc.

Good luck, OP! Let us know how you do.

Old 07-30-2020, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
IMO....look for & find a job 1st before you do anything. Then you will know if it's possible & what areas you can afford. Since you have 2 children, you need to be responsible...AND realistic about it. Don't get too obsessive & good luck...........
Yeah, um...I know all this; that's why I'm asking around. Kids will be 18 in six months.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by universalfriend View Post
Yeah, um...I know all this; that's why I'm asking around. Kids will be 18 in six months.

Sry...it's just common sense to get the job 1st IMO...........apply where you want to work & see what you get offered. That will tell you where you can afford to land & if it will work for you.....good luck!

Last edited by TashaPosh; 07-30-2020 at 06:28 PM..

Old 07-30-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Good luck. You'll have to figure out where your job is, and how much it pays, before you can hone in on schools and housing.

Ita!! I couldn't really do anything about my move to the BA until I knew where I would be working & what type of place I could afford & where..........even tho as a nurse, I had a good idea of what my salary would be before I had a job. I still needed to know w h e r e.

Old 07-30-2020, 06:43 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,649,676 times
Berkley might be perfect.

Old 07-31-2020, 09:20 AM

376 posts, read 653,631 times
Just going on Google and seeing where Trader Joes are- the most affordable are in Fairfield and Concord and Brentwood (maybe Pinole too but I don't know). You can probably guess, the further from SF or Oakland, the cheaper (duh). OTOH, if you're considering San Jose too the only place I'd suggese slightly cheaper is Morgan Hill.

For CSUs, the CSUEB campus in Hayward I went there and knew plenty of kids who came from Concord/Brentwood/Pinole or they could conceivably take BART to SFSU. SJSU works for Morgan Hill. Fairfield or Vacaville puts you a little tight. Honestly Sacramento State or Sonoma State may be easier to get to than CSUEB or SFSU. Or UC Davis is easy from Fairfield.

Old 07-31-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ippi76 View Post
Just going on Google and seeing where Trader Joes are- the most affordable are in Fairfield and Concord and Brentwood (maybe Pinole too but I don't know). You can probably guess, the further from SF or Oakland, the cheaper (duh). OTOH, if you're considering San Jose too the only place I'd suggese slightly cheaper is Morgan Hill.

For CSUs, the CSUEB campus in Hayward I went there and knew plenty of kids who came from Concord/Brentwood/Pinole or they could conceivably take BART to SFSU. SJSU works for Morgan Hill. Fairfield or Vacaville puts you a little tight. Honestly Sacramento State or Sonoma State may be easier to get to than CSUEB or SFSU. Or UC Davis is easy from Fairfield.
This is very helpful, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland