Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 11:18 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times

Advertisements

There are many homes in the East Bay in the $2.5-$3.5 million range, but you might want to lower your budget for more options. Finding a large lot in a diversified area will be tricky, as you've noted. You may want to rent for a little while if you are coming soon, as inventory has been low (but prices steady) due to the ongoing pandemic.

I am not aware of any particular problems with air quality along Alhambra Valley Road. Yes there are a number of refineries along the Contra Costa County coastline. However, what risks you may gain from being downwind from the refineries may be offset by lower risks from other pollution sources. For example, if you squint at this map I found through a quick Google search, you'll see that overall pollution levels along Alhambra Valley Road are low, but in certain pockets (red) they are still lower than they are in many desirable East Bay communities (which show as dark purple): https://www.fractracker.org/a5ej20sj...sionsIndex.png

The Oakland/Berkeley hills might be a good place to start. You can get a nice property in a liberal area, be near (but not in) real diversity, and have a reasonable commute. Keep in mind that Oakland and Berkeley have big city problems, so if dysfunctional local government is not to your liking, you'll have to look outside these two cities. Luckily they are next to more functional communities like Piedmont, Albany, Kensington, and El Cerrito. Plus if you look on the other side of the hills, the pleasant communities of Orinda, Moraga, Lafayette, and Walnut Creek are nearby.

Napa and Sonoma are quite a ways away, and I don't think you'll want to subject yourself to that kind of commute. Sonoma is cute, but Napa is more diverse. The East Bay has more of what you're looking for, even someplace like Danville.

Castro Valley is an interesting recommendation. It's unincorporated, so it's a little more compatible with things like a large lot, noise from birds, etc. The main issue here is that it generally lacks the high-end housing you're after. Right now I can only find one listing in your price range: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...28771553_zpid/

El Cerrito is more diverse than several of the communities listed above, but more so with Asians and not so much African Americans. (AA tend to be next door in Richmond.) El Cerrito is cute and my S.O. and I are considering moving there in the next few years, but it has the same issue (for you not us, LOL) as Castro Valley in that there isn't much high-end housing. Here is one of the only options in your price range: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18530731_zpid/

If you want true country living close to town, you should reconsider the Alhambra Valley Road area. Here's a place that is well below budget, and you could do a top-end remodel to your specification for the ultimate life-long home: https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...79346721_zpid/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2020, 09:34 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Was going to suggest Walnut Creek area.

Old 08-14-2020, 10:03 PM

36 posts, read 28,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
There are many homes in the East Bay in the $2.5-$3.5 million range, but you might want to lower your budget for more options. Finding a large lot in a diversified area will be tricky, as you've noted. You may want to rent for a little while if you are coming soon, as inventory has been low (but prices steady) due to the ongoing pandemic.

94553/2079346721_zpid/[/url]
Please allow me to extend my gratitude, this was quite helpful on all accounts. Diversity is appreciated on all accounts, but more important to me is an open community. El Cerrito sounds like a good option. I like Oakland and Berkeley but as we have both note it is hard to find a large land plot even with a solid budget. I am likely going to try and get a short term rental until the start of 2021 to see if more houses come on the market. However , I want to move within a reasonable time frame to take advantage of the low rates. Walnut Creek is high on my list...is it honestly a friendly area? Had some friends that lived in some really nice areas of LA and the hedges were a mile high and if anyone saw another person they seemed bewildered. It was a beautiful area but not warm or nice at all, but maybe that's how it is everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland