U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2020, 06:54 PM

1,357 posts, read 879,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
I would think you have a very low chance of getting a rent reduction if you plan to leave in just a couple months, but I could be wrong.

I'm also a bit paranoid myself and would worry that it may result in a pissed off landlord who searches for reasons to keep the security deposit in retaliation (but that also goes to show how much trust I have in most landlords).

I think most would not be 'pissed off if presented with a reasonable request. They can decline the request, make a counter offer or agree to the request as presented.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2020, 09:19 PM

4,676 posts, read 1,315,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesanfrancisco View Post
I live in a high rise condo in Rincon Hill area. Rents in the building have gone down by 20%. We are not able to use any amenities for last 5 months. I understand its a pandemic and has nothing to do for the Landlord. However I think they may be saving some HoA fees due to amenity usage reduction. Not really sure.

Have any of you negotiated rent with landlord while the lease is in progress? Just curious if I should do too.
Condos, as a whole, are more desirable than apartments. I assume by 'landlord', you mean the rightful owner of the condo you are renting; and as such, there's really no incentive for the owner to renegotiate a lease in progress (particularly one in which you aren't paying the HOA fee). That said, simply sign a new, negotiated lease upon renewal in a few months (two months is hardly worth the effort) - or go elsewhere if you aren't happy.

Additionally, included in the HOA fees for most high-rise condos are such things as water, gas, garbage, a doorman, and secured parking to room service, insurance, private elevator access and so on (depending upon which building). It really has nothing to do with the pandemic, other than the gym (which is often separate regardless) and pools.

Quote:

I'm also a bit paranoid myself and would worry that it may result in a pissed off landlord who searches for reasons to keep the security deposit in retaliation (but that also goes to show how much trust I have in most landlords).
The landlord can't keep the security deposit if OP has met the terms of the contract.

Old 08-20-2020, 02:02 PM

1,357 posts, read 879,749 times
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...n-15493882.php

Old 08-31-2020, 03:35 PM

956 posts, read 771,980 times
Here is another article on this topic: https://www.sfgate.com/living-in-sf/...s-15458824.php

Old 09-03-2020, 12:36 AM

4,676 posts, read 1,315,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Here is another article on this topic: https://www.sfgate.com/living-in-sf/...s-15458824.php
There's a huge difference (in potential outcome) between negotiation relative to job loss/financial difficulty in light of the pandemic vs. the scenario/reasoning OP describes/alleges.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:48 PM

4 posts, read 1,364 times
Quote:
I would think you have a very low chance of getting a rent reduction if you plan to leave in just a couple months, but I could be wrong.

I had this same thought about security deposit and decided to eat this up. It is just 2 months more. Now thinking about getting out of bay for few months since its remote work until mid 2021

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:15 PM

956 posts, read 771,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovesanfrancisco View Post
I had this same thought about security deposit and decided to eat this up. It is just 2 months more. Now thinking about getting out of bay for few months since its remote work until mid 2021
If you have that flexibility, by all means! I have friends who have decided to work remote in Arizona and Colorado. I can't blame them! Just be sure to look into any tax implications if you move out of state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland