Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2020, 10:21 AM

653 posts, read 464,145 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Texas and have stayed in touch with friends there over the years. Throughout this past summer, there was always a marked difference in attitudes whenever we compared local responses to the lockdown.

One of my friends is well educated, conservative, and works for one of the major consulting firms. His job, like mine, was only briefly and minimally affected by lockdowns in the early days. Then, it actually got busier for us both, as our respective clients attempted to reposition themselves to deal with the lockdown, longterm.

The main difference I noticed was this: He would talk about the attitudes of people there being, "this lockdown is killing us business owners. It's too big a burden. We have to save our businesses."

Whereas, I found the attitude (at least in most of San Francisco, even among people who were directly affected by the lockdown) was more, "This is incredibly painful for us all, but we need to endure it for the greater good. We have to save each other."

Obviously, not everyone in either locale subscribed to one ideal or the other, but anecdotally, that was my observation then.

Today, as evidenced by this thread, the news, and general word on the street, I think even the Bay Area may have swung more into that former camp with regard to this second lockdown...as we topped 3000 deaths in a day, nationally.

Old 12-10-2020, 10:41 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post

Whereas, I found the attitude (at least in most of San Francisco, even among people who were directly affected by the lockdown) was more, "This is incredibly painful for us all, but we need to endure it for the greater good. We have to save each other."

It's common sense... health care & ICU beds. It is painful for everybody ....that's a pandemic for ya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
I'm originally from Texas and have stayed in touch with friends there over the years.

That totally explains why you & other posters want to convince us our liberal state is wrong. I know ppl in Houston & Arizona that feel the same way even tho a pandemic shouldn't be political IMO. Trump made it political. Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by Count David; 12-10-2020 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: personal attack

Old 12-10-2020, 11:18 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post

That totally explains why you & other posters want to convince us our liberal state is wrong. I know ppl in Houston & Arizona that feel the same way even tho a pandemic shouldn't be political IMO. Trump made it political. Your profile keeps changing tho...ha....where do you actually live now?
I have friends/co-workers in Arizona, Texas and Florida and I've asked them about the situation over there wrt COVID. Most of them have told me their governors are clowns and they don't listen to the garbage they spew out of their mouths. They take prudent precautions on a personal basis (e.g., mask wearing, social distancing, not going out unnecessarily) because they can't count on the government to help them in that matter. In fact, some of them have told me that they think our governor Newsom has shown some real leadership despite all the political issues our country is dealing with at this point in time.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:25 AM

6,741 posts, read 6,730,607 times
https://www.dol.gov/ui/data.pdf

This morning's weekly unemployment claims report. Go to page 10, California has the highest insured unemployment rate in the nation. Meanwhile, our COVID numbers are worse than relatively open states like Georgia, Florida and Texas.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:30 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
https://www.dol.gov/ui/data.pdf

This morning's weekly unemployment claims report. Go to page 10, California has the highest insured unemployment rate in the nation. Meanwhile, our COVID numbers are worse than relatively open states like Georgia, Florida and Texas.
Yeah this is what I don't get about these lockdown zealots, we have little to show for it and some of the worst economic damage. But seems like people that support politicians like Newsom don't actually care about results.

Old 12-10-2020, 11:39 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I have friends/co-workers in Arizona, Texas and Florida and I've asked them about the situation over there wrt COVID. Most of them have told me their governors are clowns and they don't listen to the garbage they spew out of their mouths. They take prudent precautions on a personal basis (e.g., mask wearing, social distancing, not going out unnecessarily) because they can't count on the government to help them in that matter. In fact, some of them have told me that they think our governor Newsom has shown some real leadership despite all the political issues our country is dealing with at this point in time.
Imagine that adults taking their own prudent precautions and not listening to their governors. If only Californians did the same thing

Old 12-10-2020, 12:07 PM

Residents Struggle With Rent Amid Pandemic

"The Bay Area might now be a buyer's market for apartments, but not for renters like Cecilia Orellana. She has not worked since the beginning of the coronavirus pandemic and now owes over $13,000 of unpaid rent."

Old 12-10-2020, 12:36 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yeah this is what I don't get about these lockdown zealots, we have little to show for it and some of the worst economic damage. But seems like people that support politicians like Newsom don't actually care about results.

We aren't zealots tho...& we don't make a pandemic political. We are doing what we have to do....just like at first. I would so rather there be no stay home orders AND no covid so I know my fiance & I can use the airport & leave for our honeymoon in a couple weeks. BUT.....we totally understand that these aren't normal times. Do you tho? Because it seems like it's ALL about convincing us that our state is wrong or yelling at rocks for youinstead of making sure there are enough available ICU beds & staff in a month.

Old 12-10-2020, 12:38 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Imagine that adults taking their own prudent precautions and not listening to their governors. If only Californians did the same thing
Yes, if everyone acted like adults, the government wouldn't have to step in. Imagine that concept?

Old 12-10-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
We aren't zealots tho...& we don't make a pandemic political. We are doing what we have to do....just like at first. I would so rather there be no stay home orders AND no covid so I know my fiance & I can use the airport & leave for our honeymoon in a couple weeks. BUT.....we totally understand that these aren't normal times. Do you tho? Because it seems like it's ALL about convincing us that our state is wrong or yelling at rocks for youinstead of making sure there are enough available ICU beds & staff in a month.
Of course you don't and I'm not making the pandemic political either. You're the one that brought up our "liberal state" so I would argue you're making it more political than I am. I do understand there is a pandemic and it seems like a lot of people are using that as excuse to just blindly accept whatever nonsensical restrictions our state and local govt throws out there without questioning it or asking for justification/evidence. We have the strictest measures yet little to show for it. I think our state is handling it wrong. There needs to be a balance and CA is not doing that, but I guess thats par for the course here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland