Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2020, 11:43 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
A wake up call, yes? But I don't think its the one you're suggesting. I think the wake up call is that you can have an autocratic, compulsive liar influence so many people with false messaging and scare tactics. As I mentioned earlier, Democrats need to work on their PR campaign. On the other hand, these types of drastic measures I believe are last gasp attempts by the Republicans to retain power, as the demographics do not work in their favor. Same goes with voter suppression and unfounded allegations of fraud. I could go on and on.
That's a very partisan take on it and this why I say Democrats shouldn't take Latinos for granted if that's what you truly believe is the problem.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:45 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,283,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
That's a very partisan take on it and this why I say Democrats shouldn't take Latinos for granted if that's what you truly believe is the problem.
Well, its also suburban whites (and other voters) turned against Trump in huge numbers. Rural voters alone aren't going to carry Republicans long-term, especially when the increasing population is in urban and suburban areas.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I would hope those moving out of CA to other states are more moderate or conservative. Diehard liberals want nothing to do with living in places like the South, pretty sure they are happy where they are.
I don't think that's true. Take Atlanta for example. The city and suburban counties went heavily blue, which is why Biden was able to carry GA. Its turning that way in TX as well, where counties where Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio and even Ft. Worth went blue. Not quite enough to turn the whole state but the fact that its in play tells me these places are turning more purple, not more conservative.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Well, its also suburban whites (and other voters) turned against Trump in huge numbers. Rural voters alone aren't going to carry Republicans long-term, especially when the increasing population is in urban and suburban areas.
Yeah against Trump, that doesn't mean its some permanent shift away from Republicans. Politics have always been cyclical so not sure why you seem to be predicting some permanent shift away from the Republican party.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:50 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Ok? CA goes blue in presidential elections no matter what so not quite sure what your point is here. I was referring to states that are more decisive in presidential elections.
No need to be so cranky AFAIK This is a California forum so I didn't want to get dinged by being off-topic while discussing the latino population in other states.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Yeah against Trump, that doesn't mean its some permanent shift away from Republicans. Politics have always been cyclical so not sure why you seem to be predicting some permanent shift away from the Republican party.
No, I think the Republican Party will need to adapt their policies to be more inclusive, since their demographic is dying out. That'll be the likely outcome, after they start losing more elections.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:02 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times
Quote:
Oh there were plenty in the Bay Area. I guess Sac really is a different world... It was all over the national news though, not sure how you missed it.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=s...e-gws-wiz-serp
huuugge dangerous celebrations all over the Bay Area! How could I have missed this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1nMMelo1M

Old 12-16-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
huuugge dangerous celebrations all over the Bay Area! How could I have missed this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t1nMMelo1M
Yup. It was pretty ridiculous how much the media ignored how irresponsible these celebrations were too. Apparently COVID takes a break when you protest or celebrate.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:43 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,669 times
Quote:
I don't think that's true. Take Atlanta for example. The city and suburban counties went heavily blue, which is why Biden was able to carry GA. Its turning that way in TX as well, where counties where Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio and even Ft. Worth went blue. Not quite enough to turn the whole state but the fact that its in play tells me these places are turning more purple, not more conservative.
I don't think this last election is a good indicator of long term trends. Trump was a love or hate candidate, very little middle ground. The last 2 presidential elections have been complete embarrassments for this country.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
I don't think this last election is a good indicator of long term trends. Trump was a love or hate candidate, very little middle ground. The last 2 presidential elections have been complete embarrassments for this country.
Sure, but again, the long-term demographic trends are not in Republican favor. And do you honestly think a moderate will win over the Republican party at this point?

Biden is testament to the fact that the Democrats have appeal on the moderate end of the spectrum, not the Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland