Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 09:32 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,644,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
What do you mean there's no data? Lots of examples where it shows the risk is much higher with indoor activities: https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...aurant/617151/

Here's a quote from the article: The odds of catching the coronavirus are about 20 times higher indoors than outdoors.
You realize OUTDOOR dining has been shut down right? That's what I'm referring to. Along with salons, barbershops, PLAYGROUNDS, etc...

Old 12-09-2020, 09:36 AM

4,321 posts, read 6,281,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You realize OUTDOOR dining has been shut down right? That's what I'm referring to. Along with salons, barbershops, etc...
Outdoor activities don't equate to zero risk and the ones you're referring to all require close contact with one another. In many of the local restaurants (not all), I've seen them not really abiding by the 6 foot rule and some of the tarps that were setup for outdoor dining don't allow for proper ventilation (e.g., its essentially mimicking indoor dining).

We can argue about the particular risk of closing one business over another, which I know you love to do. But, I think this misses the intention of the county/state. These closures are to reduce the likelihood of people going out, socializing and spreading from one another. It is a broad brush but desperate times call for desperate actions.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
What you are saying makes no sense. It's any kind of gathering or where ppl are together & not social distancing. It's an infectious virus that doesn't know the difference if it's at a business or a private gathering. It's to protect ppl & our health care & save lives....ICU beds. edit: AND....nobody wants a pandemic & it is affecting everybody. It's not our governor punishing ppl...ha.
Except at businesses like restaurants people are distanced and outside. And barbershops, salons, etc..they are distanced with masks on.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Except at businesses like restaurants people are distanced and outside. And barbershops, salons, etc..they are distanced with masks on.
Serious question. As you despise the politics here in California so much, why don't you relocate to another state? Why do you stay and just complain? Plenty of other people have left for politics more to their liking.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Outdoor activities don't equate to zero risk and the ones you're referring to all require close contact with one another. In many of the local restaurants (not all), I've seen them not really abiding by the 6 foot rule and some of the tarps that were setup for outdoor dining don't allow for proper ventilation (e.g., its essentially mimicking indoor dining).

We can argue about the particular risk of closing one business over another, which I know you love to do. But, I think this misses the intention of the county/state. These closures are to reduce the likelihood of people going out, socializing and spreading from one another. It is a broad brush but desperate times call for desperate actions.
They are very low risk and there is no data supporting their closures. Nearly every restaurant I've been to is spaced out fine and not that enclosed at all. Restaurants in WC and Concord have all done a good job as far as spacing out tables and providing cover, if they do at all, from my experience.

But that can't stop private gatherings which AGAIN the state has repeatedly said is driving the spread yet they are punishing businesses that are not a significant factor in it. That makes no sense. You're basically punishing business owners that have invested a lot of money to follow all of the rules. That's so messed up.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Serious question. As you despise the politics here in California so much, why don't you relocate to another state? Why do you stay and just complain? Plenty of other people have left for politics more to their liking.
Mainly my job and less so family. You hate diversity of opinions that much you just want people who disagree with you to leave? That's so pathetic.

I like the local politics of San Diego, much more balanced than here. Some of us actually like diversity.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Mainly my job and less so family. You hate diversity of opinions that much you just want people who disagree with you to leave? That's so pathetic.

I like the local politics of San Diego, much more balanced than here. Some of us actually like diversity.
Well, SD has turned more democratic as of late and either way, you're still dealing with the state level politics that you despise so much.

I'm not opposed to all diverse opinions. If we want to discuss fiscal budgeting and how that should be allocated, I welcome these type of discussions. But, when the discussions denigrate to ignoring the health/safety of society in a pandemic, driving a xenophobic agenda or some other conspiracy theory that many Trump followers like to push, yeah, I don't have a lot of tolerance for that type of BS.

Old 12-09-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
They are very low risk and there is no data supporting their closures. Nearly every restaurant I've been to is spaced out fine and not that enclosed at all. Restaurants in WC and Concord have all done a good job as far as spacing out tables and providing cover, if they do at all, from my experience.

But that can't stop private gatherings which AGAIN the state has repeatedly said is driving the spread yet they are punishing businesses that are not a significant factor in it. That makes no sense. You're basically punishing business owners that have invested a lot of money to follow all of the rules. That's so messed up.
Just because you haven't personally seen restaurants with spacing/covering issues, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've personally seen this in my local community and other surrounding ones. Where do you have data that these local businesses aren't a significant contributor to COVID spread?

Also, I agree that private gatherings are also an issue. They are not allowed by state/county guidelines either. How are you suggesting these be policed?

Old 12-09-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Well, SD has turned more democratic as of late and either way, you're still dealing with the state level politics that you despise so much.

I'm not opposed to all diverse opinions. If we want to discuss fiscal budgeting and how that should be allocated, I welcome these type of discussions. But, when the discussions denigrate to ignoring the health/safety of society in a pandemic, driving a xenophobic agenda or some other conspiracy theory that many Trump followers like to push, yeah, I don't have a lot of tolerance for that type of BS.
I'm aware and that's fine, it still has a much better balance than here. It was actually a little too conservative when I first moved there. State politics are a bit easier to digest when you have more balanced local leaders and greater diversity compared to the ideological circle jerk here.

I've done none of those things yet here you are asking why I live here....

Old 12-09-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Just because you haven't personally seen restaurants with spacing/covering issues, doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I've personally seen this in my local community and other surrounding ones. Where do you have data that these local businesses aren't a significant contributor to COVID spread?

Also, I agree that private gatherings are also an issue. They are not allowed by state/county guidelines either. How are you suggesting these be policed?
I never suggested otherwise, just stating what I've seen and experienced. There are A LOT of restaurants in DT WC though. Think about that question for a minute. If there isn't data showing that they are a significant contributor of spread how would there be data showing they are not? Isn't that lack of data the proof in itself?

Large gatherings are already being broken up and people arrested. For smaller ones not sure there is much you can do aside from repeatedly putting out public messages out there on the dangers of them. That actually would probably be more effective that coming out with an official ban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland