Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 08:45 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,573,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chairmanoftheboard View Post
Some of the most obnoxious and closed minded imbeciles you will ever meet.

This is a super closed minded thing to say about all the ppl in the county. Closed mindedness is everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 11:35 AM

4,315 posts, read 6,279,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
This is a super closed minded thing to say about all the ppl in the county. Closed mindedness is everywhere.
I'm liberal, but I do agree on some points with this person. For example, they turned down a BART extension years ago because they didn't want the certain type of characters coming over from Richmond. Same thing goes for NIMBYism and construction of affordable housing. This is what they'd call limousine liberals.

But yes, I do agree with you that people everywhere are closed minded. The variance is on different topics, depending upon what's important to them.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
I'm liberal, but I do agree on some points with this person.

I’m liberal too...AND...IMO calling the county obnoxious imbeciles doesn’t leave much to be open minded about or agree on.

Quote:
This is what they'd call limousine liberals.

Lovely...another label to express criticism against money AND liberals.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:40 PM

34 posts, read 37,196 times
Quote:
I'm liberal, but I do agree on some points with this person. For example, they turned down a BART extension years ago because they didn't want the certain type of characters coming over from Richmond.
FALSE. See https://www.marinij.com/2019/11/05/d...ant-bart-here/

Old 05-29-2021, 05:25 PM

281 posts, read 309,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
One more quasi-outlier to the stereotype is Novato, which, to me, shares a lot of "look and feel" similarities with many Peninsula towns. Novato is still very white, but it's not really the same kind of overwrought white, snobbish community that a lot of people either rightly or wrongly ascribe to towns in Marin, depending on their perspective.

Novato is a completely hipster-free, family-oriented, middle class bedroom commuter community with a nice, attractive downtown and conveniences to meet most daily needs. But, if you want more urban shopping or services, you're probably headed for San Rafael... sort of akin to Menlo Park and its relationship to Palo Alto. Novato also enjoys great access to Wine Country and the East Bay (via the San Rafael bridge) but is less accessible to San Francisco, in normal traffic.

Marin is, in general, where most people I know who lived their early, pre-kids lives in the northern half of SF end up to raise families. I've never thought of it as particularly church-going, but that can be said for pretty much all of the Bay Area. One more note--you'll find Marin to be virtually free of "hipsters," but still hanging on to an actual "Hippies" (the 60s kind) vibe, especially in interior towns like Fairfax. I believe Marin to be a bit older, generally speaking, than the Peninsula, as well.

That all said, my assessment is based on observing some friends with families who live in Marin. I have never lived there myself. Considered it, because it's a beautiful place with a lot of charm, but ultimately didn't suit my wife and me, as we don't have kids.
I’ve lived in Marin for years, and for someone who has never lived there, you described it almost perfectly! LOL

Old 05-29-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCA View Post
I’m Arab. There is a large Arab Christian community on the peninsula, it’s just very expensive to live here. I do know about Walnut Creek, is it significantly cheaper than Marin? I know towns like San Rafael and Novato are more Affordable for sure. I’m not expecting everyone who lives around me to have the same opinions as me, I just don’t want to live in an Uber leftist place like SF either. I’ve had bad experiences with the folks in SF and Berkeley with their attitude towards Christians and those with more traditional views. So I’m just wondering if
the crowd in Marin is similar or is more like the peninsula. Where there’s a more live and let live attitude when it comes to different viewpoints. And just generally more moderately liberal as well.
I am black and was I strongly Christian at the time I was living in Marin, and I had absolutely no issues. because people are older and more professional, the tendency to overtly get in your business isn’t there, as it would be in someplace younger and extremely liberal, like Berkeley. I find Marin just the right amount of liberal. Liberal enough to be accepting of pretty much everyone, but not so liberal they expect you to be a gay communist!

Old 05-29-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
I find Marin just the right amount of liberal. Liberal enough to be accepting of pretty much everyone, but not so liberal they expect you to be a gay communist!

Love this...Ita!

Old 05-29-2021, 05:51 PM

579 posts, read 512,188 times
They are liberal up until they are told if they want BART, it will connect from Richmond -where the black and brown folks live. Than that liberalism goes right out the door and the "code-speak" words start coming out. "Preserve the character, we all look out for each other, not a right fit, save the hillside because the goats need to graze", etc.

It's easy to talk the talk. Buying a Tesla is nothing. But to walk the walk and BE the change? Nah, that's not Marin. And it never was. Marin residents have always been liberal poseurs, even 60 years ago. You think those hippies getting beat by coppers at peoples park in Berkeley were from Marin? Hah! Some of them might have been from Iowa, but they weren't from Marin. If you think Marin is liberal, be black or latino and walk around in hip hop attire in Mill Valley, Novato, or Sausalito after midnight. See how many Karens jam up police dispatch with 'suspicious activity' phone calls, and tell me how liberal it is then.

First agency I ever worked for was in a white liberal area. Same shtick, different city name. They are all filled with fake poseurs who are not actually liberal. You want to see liberal, go to DC or San Antonio where white people will actually raise their children around blacks and latinos.

There is more to being liberal than just voting Democrat straight ticket and smoking weed into your 50's.

Last edited by Valley Boy; 05-29-2021 at 06:02 PM..

Old 05-30-2021, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Boy View Post
They are liberal up until they are told if they want BART, it will connect from Richmond -where the black and brown folks live. Than that liberalism goes right out the door and the "code-speak" words start coming out. "Preserve the character, we all look out for each other, not a right fit, save the hillside because the goats need to graze", etc.

It's easy to talk the talk. Buying a Tesla is nothing. But to walk the walk and BE the change? Nah, that's not Marin. And it never was. Marin residents have always been liberal poseurs, even 60 years ago. You think those hippies getting beat by coppers at peoples park in Berkeley were from Marin? Hah! Some of them might have been from Iowa, but they weren't from Marin. If you think Marin is liberal, be black or latino and walk around in hip hop attire in Mill Valley, Novato, or Sausalito after midnight. See how many Karens jam up police dispatch with 'suspicious activity' phone calls, and tell me how liberal it is then.

First agency I ever worked for was in a white liberal area. Same shtick, different city name. They are all filled with fake poseurs who are not actually liberal. You want to see liberal, go to DC or San Antonio where white people will actually raise their children around blacks and latinos.

There is more to being liberal than just voting Democrat straight ticket and smoking weed into your 50's.
You make some good points. We can all be better. However, as I have stated in other posts, there is a thin line between being welcomingly liberal and allowing your town/neighborhood to be run down. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a nice get home. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a nice, yet poor part of town. Now, are there social and systemic racism reasons for some people being more likely to be poor? We all know there is. However, allowing Marin County to become a ghetto he isn’t going to fix the situation. There should be some places in America that remain nice. Obviously you can’t use most measures to keep people out who might be more inclined to trash up your neighborhood, nor should you, since there are ghetto people in all groups. The only thing you really have left to use our prices and general building restrictions. If you simply make it where an over abundance of houses cannot be built, the less likely the chance of any of those homes becoming low income. Also, if you keep the mortgages and rents skyhigh, the less likely anyone not capable of maintaining those properties well acquire them. It would be a different matter if most places were Marin and there were few places for low income people to live. However, that isn’t the case. There are lots of areas low income individuals have available to them. Yes, it might be Richmond or Bakersfield, but there are plenty of options. To suggest people in Marin, who have kept their area beautiful, should suddenly allow those whom we have historical evidence Either can’t or won’t maintain its beauty, is asking a bit much.

Old 05-30-2021, 11:24 PM

579 posts, read 512,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Troy View Post
You make some good points. We can all be better. However, as I have stated in other posts, there is a thin line between being welcomingly liberal and allowing your town/neighborhood to be run down. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a nice get home. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a nice, yet poor part of town. Now, are there social and systemic racism reasons for some people being more likely to be poor? We all know there is. However, allowing Marin County to become a ghetto he isn’t going to fix the situation. There should be some places in America that remain nice. Obviously you can’t use most measures to keep people out who might be more inclined to trash up your neighborhood, nor should you, since there are ghetto people in all groups. The only thing you really have left to use our prices and general building restrictions. If you simply make it where an over abundance of houses cannot be built, the less likely the chance of any of those homes becoming low income. Also, if you keep the mortgages and rents skyhigh, the less likely anyone not capable of maintaining those properties well acquire them. It would be a different matter if most places were Marin and there were few places for low income people to live. However, that isn’t the case. There are lots of areas low income individuals have available to them. Yes, it might be Richmond or Bakersfield, but there are plenty of options. To suggest people in Marin, who have kept their area beautiful, should suddenly allow those whom we have historical evidence Either can’t or won’t maintain its beauty, is asking a bit much.
Hey, I have no problem with that. It is a free country, after all. If Marin residents want to do whatever it takes to maintain their whitopia, you'll get no objections from me. But what rubs me the wrong way is when Marin residents want to be delusional and proclaim their liberal values. Only places I have seen liberals who walk the walk is Richmond down to about Oakland or perhaps San Leandro. It always has been more of an East Bay thing to walk the walk. The rest of the region kind of just piggy backs off the East Bay liberalism, and claims it. But most are really not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland