Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 03:54 PM

653 posts, read 464,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Point being, it's quite relevant to this particular thread (as is where we live)
In 2020, I lived in the San Francisco neighborhood of Pacific Heights for just under 11 months--a fact you directly, without any evidence, dispute. I now live in Wine Country.

So, let me say for the record that my claim of residency is 100% true and encourage you to use any of the super sleuth cyber trailing techniques you've bragged to me are at your disposal to try to disprove what I claim as where I've lived either in the past or present.

You will be disappointed at what you find.

With that in mind, past posts indicate that you have not lived in the City or even spent much time there over the past 9 months, despite keeping a residence there. If that's accurate, it's a bit disingenuous to play the "where we live" card again now.

Quote:

Bottom line, it's nonsensical for anyone to believe WFH (or from another location) wasn't/isn't a big (and often necessary) part of (global) corporate structure prior to the pandemic, particularly in the Bay Area. More so now, but it's not going to have a significant impact in SF's recovery, especially by comparison; in fact, the Bay Area has an advantage in doing so. It's why I (continue to) believe it's overstated/overplayed.
I do agree with you in this to some degree, regarding the fact that WFH is better entrenched here and thus, SF and the Bay Area are better poised than most to adapt to its effects. My point involves the evolution of WFH that has occurred over the past year.

It's difficult to ignore the 10% decrease in population within the City of San Francisco, after a decade of rapid growth. That will undoubtedly be felt at the street level in the City specifically, with respect to small business, particularly when circumstances surrounding storefront retail districts and restaurants were already challenging prior to COVID. Reference vacancy rates in North Beach, Union St., Russian Hill, Jackson Square, etc. dating back well before COVID restrictions were imposed.

Quote:

I'm not mischaracterizing you/your writing; you appear to be flailing regarding your ability/responsiblility to convey your own thoughts relative to the thread. I simply responded with my opinion, which is stay-at-home/shelter-in-place orders are essentially irrelevant (and certainly not documentable) relative to long-term recovery (or whether SF is 'bad', per the thread).
Fine. You appeared to be expending more energy posting directly to me rather than to the topic. I only answered the posts you initiated. Perhaps if you concerned yourself less with "correcting" me and merely posted to the topic, we'd have fewer exchanges. In fact, if you posted only your opinion, without quoting mine or presuming to correct mine, we'd have no exchanges, as I do not respond to your posts that are not (mis)directed at mine.

Quote:

Do you realize an article is not the same thing as a McKinsey Study or a research report, in and of itself? It's not a matter of semantics; it's a matter of (deciphering/interpreting/discussing) reputable information - within context and in entirety. That you are calling it semantics speaks to my point (and your entire post, for that matter).

I'm not 'badgering' you; I'm simply stating my own opinion, as are you. That said, I'll stop responding to your posts directly.
Case in point. And thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2021, 04:56 PM

8,662 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post
In 2020, I lived in the San Francisco neighborhood of Pacific Heights for just under 11 months--a fact you directly, without any evidence, dispute. I now live in Wine Country.

So, let me say for the record that my claim of residency is 100% true and encourage you to use any of the super sleuth cyber trailing techniques you've bragged to me are at your disposal to try to disprove what I claim as where I've lived either in the past or present.

You will be disappointed at what you find.

With that in mind, past posts indicate that you have not lived in the City or even spent much time there over the past 9 months, despite keeping a residence there. If that's accurate, it's a bit disingenuous to play the "where we live" card again now.

I do agree with you in this to some degree, regarding the fact that WFH is better entrenched here and thus, SF and the Bay Area are better poised than most to adapt to its effects. My point involves the evolution of WFH that has occurred over the past year.

It's difficult to ignore the 10% decrease in population within the City of San Francisco, after a decade of rapid growth. That will undoubtedly be felt at the street level in the City specifically, with respect to small business, particularly when circumstances surrounding storefront retail districts and restaurants were already challenging prior to COVID. Reference vacancy rates in North Beach, Union St., Russian Hill, Jackson Square, etc. dating back well before COVID restrictions were imposed.

Fine. You appeared to be expending more energy posting directly to me rather than to the topic. I only answered the posts you initiated. Perhaps if you concerned yourself less with "correcting" me and merely posted to the topic, we'd have fewer exchanges. In fact, if you posted only your opinion, without quoting mine or presuming to correct mine, we'd have no exchanges, as I do not respond to your posts that are not (mis)directed at mine.

Case in point. And thank you.
Case in point i.e. you have to stop directly posting (diatribes) to me in order for it to work. ;-)

Welcome - enjoy your 'new home in Wine Country'.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 01-09-2021 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: double-quoted post

Old 01-09-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:

That said, I'll stop responding to your posts directly.
You lasted 2 hours and 15 minutes this time.

Old 01-11-2021, 10:42 AM

Definitely not gloom and doom, but a complex problem, nonetheless. And while these challenges are being repeated in cities around the world, in my opinion, certain factors like reliance on public transportation, high cost of commercial/residential real estate, even the geography of the Bay Area and the distributed nature of its employment centers that make San Francisco's issues more challenging.

"Major tech employers including Salesforce, Uber and Facebook don’t plan to have office workers return until at least the summer. Google has pushed back the return until September, and could have workers at the office only three days a week, which could further hurt local retail and restaurant spending and transit fare collection."

https://www.sfchronicle.com/business...s-15859782.php

That said, I agree, SF is wealthy and desirable--described as a "jewel" earlier-- and has the means to pull out of even a COVID-complicated spin. This will take more than merely turning the economy back on, though. And we're 6 months to a year away from that happening in any real sense. For small business to return in strength, the road back will be much longer, I believe.

And even more relative to the OP's question, the homeless problem is a drag on all recovery measures. But without the economic engines spinning, where does the money come from?

Chicken-and-egg...

Old 01-11-2021, 02:19 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoSF View Post

That said, I agree, SF is wealthy and desirable--described as a "jewel" earlier-- and has the means to pull out of even a COVID-complicated spin. This will take more than merely turning the economy back on, though. And we're 6 months to a year away from that happening in any real sense.

Ita with you that Sf will pull out...BUT all of the USA will. The vaccines are going to make the difference IMO. It might take 6 mos to a year but only because it will happen slowly. I work in health care & the optimism is here.

Love that you & aslowdodge think of Sf as a jewel...I’ve read that in other posts in city data too...BUT tbh I don’t agree. Sf has a lot of problems with homelessness....AND... IMO that’s really what the O.P. & other ppl are talking about. They want to know if if it’s so bad that when you walk out the door somebody is urinating on you...like the O.P. Ofc not....but....

AND...if you thought it was a jewel, why would you move all the way to wine country & make your commute so super long it’s unreal....even tho it’s only 3 days a week? I like Sf BUT...tbh not to live....even tho my fiancé had an amazing penthouse. He lived in the city a long time tho. It’s a lot of wealth & super amazing views but then on some days it would be disturbing & sad as soon as we left his building. I was used to homelessness in SoCal ofc...but it’s like a roller coaster of emotion in Sf because of the extremes..all in a small area.

O.P....It’s super hard not to feel compassion...it can be depressing, specially if you aren’t used to it & if you don’t have the means to do much about it. It also can be a little scary. Marin is the best of both worlds IMO...easy to get to what you want in Sf & love all the special things about it BUT have more outdoor space & less noise to live. Edit: AND it’s not scary or sad when you walk out your front door. Ppl are more friendly & we can drive to where we’re going.....also easy to get to the best parks & trails to walk...that are less crowded than Sf.

Last edited by TashaPosh; 01-11-2021 at 03:11 PM..

Old 01-12-2021, 10:35 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,462 times
Nobody cares about Marin.
CC still attacking people on this forum.
Glad to see I didn't miss much being away from here.

As for the topic, with workers not going back to the office until at least summer (doubtful), I fully expect the homeless to have taken over mid market by then.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post
CC still attacking people on this forum.

As for the topic, with workers not going back to the office until at least summer (doubtful), I fully expect the homeless to have taken over mid market by then.
Mid Market is in real trouble. It is a perfect COVID storm.

At its edges, north, south and west are some of the highest concentrations of homeless, whose difficult conditions have been amplified by COVID.

Twitter is permanently WFH for the majority of its employees at its HQ, putting a huge drag on the recovery of the residential rental market, the restaurant and retail markets in the immediate area, including (and especially) the new multi-level shopping center which can't catch a break.

That's the heart of the Theater District, and is adjacent to many of the largest hotels, both of which are heavily tourist dependent and will be an extra long time coming back.

The mix of government buildings, empty storefronts and SROs don't exactly attract locals.

Yup--probably one of the most challenging areas of the City for recovery and it was already one of the most notoriously run down parts of the City before COVID.

Old 01-13-2021, 09:00 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likealady View Post

Well...I do. You might be right tho...so...Marin makes the perfect compromise. You can still get to Sf for everything & still love the amazing views & all it has to offer...BUT you don’t have to deal with the big city stuff like homelessness right outside your door. Sry...but...I don’t know why you would say that nobody cares about Marin in a BA thread....especially one about Sf because it’s so close. It’s like you are attacking me & other ppl in the thread for liking where we live. Lots of ppl here commute to Sf & go to the city for shopping...restaurants...museums & nightlife. Ofc that’s on hold now but it will happen again soon.

Sry but I love Marin & I like Sf but it’s not perfect ofc. I feel bad for ppl that see so much negative in their lives & life, tho. You are right that you didnt miss a thing.

Old 01-13-2021, 11:30 AM

10,348 posts, read 8,567,170 times
I agree the homelessness is a big isssue. I don’t mention it because the universal response I get is well your city has it too or it’s a problem everywhere. But deflecting it doesn’t answer the issue for a given Californian city. Some of my friends in the Bay Area won’t go into San Francisco because of it. To save San Francisco it will have to be solved.
As far as Marin, I can’t believe someone would say no one cares. It’s one of the most beautiful parts of the Bay Area.

Old 01-13-2021, 01:09 PM

8,662 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I don’t mention it because the universal response I get is well your city has it too or it’s a problem everywhere. But deflecting it doesn’t answer the issue for a given Californian city.
Actually, I have written hundreds of posts (in other threads) relative to homelessness in SF, specifically regarding various city/agency programs which are in the planning stages and/or have been recently implemented (as well as potential plans for the future).

That said, there are people in this Forum (primarily conservatives) who don't want to discuss SF homelessness in any meaningful way; but instead approach it by way of one grade-school jab after the next (often to 'libs', as a whole). For those of us who prefer a mature discussion (by way of people who actually understand the problem in its entirety and have a real stake in a solution), it's simply not worth the effort/time. It feels akin to babysitting; my nieces/nephews don't even name-call that much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland