Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 04:09 PM

5 posts, read 9,969 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I've lived on the East Coast (Pittsburgh, NYC and Boston area) for the past 16 years - have always loved San Francisco and the Bay Area but never thought I would move there. But I'm going to - in June/July of this year. And boy, am I looking forward to this move and interacting with you folks )

Now, the help part. My workplace is in Milpitas (right off 880) - I'm trying to decide where to live so the commute is not a nightmare. Some things to consider in my scenario are;

1. I travel a lot on the job so access to an airport (preferably SFO) is more important than the daily commute to Milpitas - so I can tolerate 45 - 60 minutes (maybe even 90) because it will be a couple of days a week at most.

2. I'm a single male, not really into clubbing or the bar scene but someplace where there's evening activities (museums, jazz (YES), movies etc.) would be a big plus (for the few nights I'll be in town)

3. My mother (widowed, elderly) will live with me (at least 6-8 months a year). We are originally from India and it would be nice to find a neighborhood with a strong Indian community so she can keep herself occupied.

Any suggestions on where to concentrate my search? I'm looking to either rent (2-3 beds, 2 baths, up to $2500/month) or perhaps even buy if I find a good value (budget up to $600,000)

Thank you all in advance and I'm eagerly anticipating joining your community and learning more about the Bay Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 02:49 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
My first thoughts are Fremont, Mountain View and Sunnyvale... all have a very strong Indian presence, fairly easy commute to Milpitas, rentals within your price range, and some nearby activities. You'd probably like downtown Mtn. View on Castro Street, which has lots of ethnic restaurants and "civilized" bars. I'm not an expert on these towns, but I think you should look into them!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
My first thoughts are Fremont, Mountain View and Sunnyvale... all have a very strong Indian presence, fairly easy commute to Milpitas, rentals within your price range, and some nearby activities. You'd probably like downtown Mtn. View on Castro Street, which has lots of ethnic restaurants and "civilized" bars. I'm not an expert on these towns, but I think you should look into them!
Thanks Gizmo - I plan to be there this weekend and next week and do some apartment/house hunting. I will certainly look into these areas you suggest.

Thanks again!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:57 AM

639 posts, read 1,042,816 times
When you said you finally took the plunge, for a minute there I thought you actually meant you plunged off the GoldeGate bridge then went home and got on your computer.

The southbay is you best bet as far as commuting and greater cultural ties to your likings.
WELCOME to the BAY AREA!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGH!Lonesome View Post
When you said you finally took the plunge, for a minute there I thought you actually meant you plunged off the GoldeGate bridge then went home and got on your computer.

The southbay is you best bet as far as commuting and greater cultural ties to your likings.
WELCOME to the BAY AREA!!!!
LOL, guess I should have chosen my words carefully

That would be weird, to jump off the bridge and then return to post it

Thanks for the welcome - I'm looking forward to snow free winters!!!!!

Last edited by EastCoastTransplant; 05-27-2008 at 12:31 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 AM

242 posts, read 432,894 times
In regards to being near an airport, you may also want to consider simply living very close to a BART station since the BART stops right at SFO. That way you avoid traffic and parking fees. I live near the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station and it takes about 1 hour 15 minutes to get to SFO which is about the same as if I were to drive it. But, I get to pay lower rent since it's further from the City.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:58 AM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Good advice mkdude... but if you're in the South Bay, Muneta airport is close and easy to deal with (aside from their parking/loading Nazis, LOL). SFO is accessible by BART, though, and I think Oakland is too.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkdude_08 View Post
In regards to being near an airport, you may also want to consider simply living very close to a BART station since the BART stops right at SFO. That way you avoid traffic and parking fees. I live near the Dublin/Pleasanton BART station and it takes about 1 hour 15 minutes to get to SFO which is about the same as if I were to drive it. But, I get to pay lower rent since it's further from the City.
That's a good idea mkdude - I did see some nice places on Craigslist in the Pleasanton/Livermore area - my future co-workers warned me against going further east on the 580 corridor - said traffic would be a nightmare!

Old 05-27-2008, 04:02 PM

4 posts, read 18,870 times
In the 95134 area code (milan dr. and navaro dr.), I was looking for a condo to buy and noticed a big indian presence in that area. I know there was an apartment complex in that neighborhood too ( i believe it was an avalon apt complex). This neighborhood is practically only a minute or 2 from milpitas border.

I commute by plane and sfo is terrible for getting you in and out on time. If you're flying domestically, then I would fly to/from oakland or san jose airport.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:40 PM

52 posts, read 180,920 times
I would say Sunnyvale, Santa Clara or Mountain View are the best location in your case. San Jose airport is comparatively good with SFO.

In Sunnyvale you will find lot of Indians, Indian Grocery and food places.

I used to travel a lot from San Jose Airport. I used hotel parking which is cheaper compared to airport and you can use their shuttle service.

I do not know traffic flow towards east (237 milipitas) but I remember the congestion at the junction of 880 and 101 ( well all the hwy junctions have same problem !) . If Hwy 880 is bad then living close to Mountain View or Sunnyvale is good where you can take 237 east to Milipitas.

Also, It's a buyers market now, so you may find best deals in buying a house.

Good Luck and Welcome to Silicon Valley :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland