Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 02:52 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,128,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectplacetolive View Post
Just wondering if people are happier and have a better 'quality of life' in the bay area.. as compared to new yorkers? Lately, I've been feeling like NY-ers (who are fabulous because they're sharp no-nonsense folks) appear frustrated and rushed all the time (please forgive my massive generalization... but it's based on many years of experience living here).

Both ny and the bay area make it hard to live with tremendous ease/lack of stress (due to high living costs).. but do bay area residents manage to live a healthier/happier life?
I lived in NY for a year and I would say I am happier here than there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 04:31 PM

54 posts, read 267,786 times
We moved from NY 3 years ago and we noticed immediately that people are friendlier and more open here. In NY people tend to look mad and they keep to themselves. It's the sun, I guess and the more laid back attitude, even when it comes to work! Everyone is more casual and fun. The cost of real estate is really high here though, but I generally think people like it better here in Bay Area.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:30 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,155,830 times
Lived in both areas. New Yorkers may be rougher around the edges, but they are also seem more human to me. New Yorkers will tell you what they feel if they are happy or pissed off. In the Bay Area people seem more insular and to themselves in a general sense and will speak and be open to only those closest to them. In the Bay Area stranger talk is alot more shalow than New York. New York is also a way way way better place to be if you are black. If you are an average black guy in the Bay Area it will seem very difficult to connect with and/or forge friendships with other races. In New York nobody gives a ****, if you seem to be a person who has their act together people will be more than willing to engage. From what I have heard there are even clubs in the Castro in SF that are less than welcoming to gay blacks. The scenery in SF kicks ass though and is evident in the city, suburbs and everywhere inbetween. Both cities offer different things to different people, but New York has the wider appeal, it shuts no one out.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:10 AM

821 posts, read 1,040,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonesun View Post
Everything you said is 100% true about the bay. I don't recommend it for black men. Unless they want to be isolated, and alienated. This is NOT the place for a black man.

Period.
Funny thats how I feel in NY .

Old 10-30-2008, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 3,656 times
I think the weather here plays a big part of it. I sought to move here for many years specifically for the jobs and weather. As a rabidly-avid fan of motorcycles living in a place where I can ride year round is like living in Mecca. Even when the weather here is "bad" it's not that bad. I mean there are no Snow Plows in San Francisco.

It's hard to maintain a cheery demeaner when you have a snotcicle on your chin you could cut yourself on.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:49 AM

398 posts, read 1,331,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCalifornia View Post
i think that bay area people do a better job of pretending.
I think this can be true with some of the people out here. 50/50

Old 10-31-2008, 11:58 AM

28 posts, read 21,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Downtown can at times seem like a mini-version of Manhattan, and the sophisticated nature of the people
Yeah, the last time I was near Market St, an old, elderly, lady was told to "Go F*** herself" for being parked with hazards on by the driver behind her.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:04 PM

28 posts, read 21,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanQuest View Post
Lived in both areas. New Yorkers may be rougher around the edges, but they are also seem more human to me. New Yorkers will tell you what they feel if they are happy or pissed off.
Agree. NY knows itself and takes itself as it finds it.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:12 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,290,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkonesun View Post
Everything you said is 100% true about the bay. I don't recommend it for black men. Unless they want to be isolated, and alienated. This is NOT the place for a black man.

Period.
And new york is? You think it's bad here spend some time in NY or Boston. Boston is horrible. You keep talking about blacks are treated like trash out here which is just not true in the bigger picture. I've lived all over and I can tell you it's much worse in other parts of the country.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:28 PM

821 posts, read 1,040,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
And new york is? You think it's bad here spend some time in NY or Boston. Boston is horrible. You keep talking about blacks are treated like trash out here which is just not true in the bigger picture. I've lived all over and I can tell you it's much worse in other parts of the country.
Its all racist! This is America damn it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland