Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 05:30 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times

Advertisements

29 years old, nothing holding you back, enough savings to last a couple months, why in God's name WOULDN'T you take a leap of faith and go for it? Ignore the cranky olds, enjoy your adventure, good luck!

(just maybe cool it on the shelter plans, though. There are people who really need those spaces for life or death reasons)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 07:04 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You're assuming only brief, superficial conversations would take place. The OP lives in the City now. He can meet with people as often and as long as he wishes (or they wish), let people get to know him, have some kind of business cards made, etc. etc. He can really work it.
How many people can the OP meet and get to know well enough (beyond superficial conversation, lol) for any (one) of them to offer him 'inside information', as you mentioned in your previous post? A business card typically includes one's place of business, hence 'business', lol (which is my point relative to networking); in the OP's case, he is unemployed/unverifiable.

Point being, the (purpose of) networking (particularly to inside information and/or a reference) is relative to actually knowing (i.e. being able to vouch for) the person as an excellent candidate - and yes, exchanging business cards i.e. they're verifiable/known.

Quote:
You also don't know how helpful the LGBTQ community could be to one of their own.
I don't know what the LGBTQ community has to do with it; you seem to be suggesting the aforementioned is more likely to offer 'inside information'/refer someone/offer a job without knowing any (substantiated) background just because they're LGBTQ.

Quote:
Let's wish the OP the best.
Absolutely! A shot of reality doesn't hurt either. OP, the best of luck!

Old 02-02-2021, 12:48 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
How many people can the OP meet and get to know well enough (beyond superficial conversation, lol) for any (one) of them to offer him 'inside information', as you mentioned in your previous post? A business card typically includes one's place of business, hence 'business', lol (which is my point relative to networking); in the OP's case, he is unemployed/unverifiable.

Point being, the (purpose of) networking (particularly to inside information and/or a reference) is relative to actually knowing (i.e. being able to vouch for) the person as an excellent candidate - and yes, exchanging business cards i.e. they're verifiable/known.

I don't know what the LGBTQ community has to do with it; you seem to be suggesting the aforementioned is more likely to offer 'inside information'/refer someone/offer a job without knowing any (substantiated) background just because they're LGBTQ.

Absolutely! A shot of reality doesn't hurt either. OP, the best of luck!
I'm not talking about concrete job offers per se, but about leads to where there are vacancies in the OP's field or that are compatible with his experience and skill set. This is all standard advice job search counselors offer. I don't know why you're fighting basic job search and networking m.o.'s. I have no doubt the OP knows what he's doing, since he's already scheduling interviews.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:58 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
I'm not talking about concrete job offers per se, but about leads to where there are vacancies in the OP's field or that are compatible with his experience and skill set. This is all standard advice job search counselors offer. I don't know why you're fighting basic job search and networking m.o.'s. I have no doubt the OP knows what he's doing, since he's already scheduling interviews.
Job search/employment counselors will provide assistance re: resume building, cover letters, communication skills, exploring career options and so on; not many would advise someone to friend/network with strangers on the street in order to gain access to 'inside information', lol; rather, they might already have it. :-) Furthermore, if one's background/education/work history presents well, they won't need 'inside' information; and if it doesn't, said information will (ultimately) be irrelevant.

That said, I'm not 'fighting' anything; I'm simply amused by (and interjecting reality into) what I consider to be an unrealistic and lackadaisical approach to job hunting (particularly relative to a paralegal position), as evidenced by OP's own words re: hustling to find 'any' job, fear of returning to Iowa, and she even went as far as to mention a women's shelter (which isn't realistic either).

As I stated a few times, however, I wish her the best of luck; but unemployment is hovering at (approximately) three times in CA (as a whole) what it was in Iowa last month, per BLS.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:41 PM

48 posts, read 49,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Job search/employment counselors will provide assistance re: resume building, cover letters, communication skills, exploring career options and so on; not many would advise someone to friend/network with strangers on the street in order to gain access to 'inside information', lol; rather, they might already have it. :-) Furthermore, if one's background/education/work history presents well, they won't need 'inside' information; and if it doesn't, said information will (ultimately) be irrelevant.

That said, I'm not 'fighting' anything; I'm simply amused by (and interjecting reality into) what I consider to be an unrealistic and lackadaisical approach to job hunting (particularly relative to a paralegal position), as evidenced by OP's own words re: hustling to find 'any' job, fear of returning to Iowa, and she even went as far as to mention a women's shelter (which isn't realistic either).

As I stated a few times, however, I wish her the best of luck; but unemployment is hovering at (approximately) three times in CA (as a whole) what it was in Iowa last month, per BLS.
I understand what you mean. I don’t want to dive too much but there was nothing for me in Iowa, either. I moved back to my hometown in May of last year and things did not go well for me there.

Honestly my move to SF is sort of like a last ditch effort to find any sort of happiness. If I fail here (which I probably will) it’s all over for me. I suffer from depression and anxiety and dealing with those problems while also being unemployable trapped in my mom’s basement with no way out was just too much to bear.

I majored in Art History and I could barely even get a call back for a job while living there. My life has taken a downward spiral the past few years and I have been borderline suicidal and chronically unemployed. Maybe I tried to take the “easy way out” by coming to California but I don’t know. There was literally nothing for me there. At all. I live a complicated life and sometimes I wish it was sort of over with (which is why I often do risky things).

I know I’m extremely unlikely to find a paralegal job. I had an interview this morning for a data entry clerk position and they basically said I was overqualified having worked as an office manager. I know to lower my expectations. Hopefully one day I will be able to actually get a job I enjoy but I know that is exceedingly unlikely.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:50 PM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Hang in there, something will turn up! You made it this far.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:13 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
OP, was there no option to attend a community college while living at home, to get paralegal training before flying the coop?

You say you've been an office manager. That could get you somewhere in a university system. You can apply for office admin jobs that are classified as "lead", and supervisory positions further up. The same with City jobs. You can try the UCSF temp pool; that's often a good way to get your foot in the door, as well as a trickle of income in your direction. There may be a temp pool with the City, too, I don't know. Probably in the temp pool, they wouldn't reject you as overqualified, because it's just a temp job. You can try and see. Universities do continue to operate during Covid, but I have no idea what that looks like. City offices have people working from home, but probably have some staff on site; you could take a look at their listings and see.

I know this type of job is not your dream, but it's a start. It's something, which is more than you currently have, and it's a way to capitalize on your experience as a manager. If you get a regular gig of this type, you could attend paralegal classes at night. Patience. Your future is build one building block at a time.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:46 PM

Quote:
OP, was there no option to attend a community college while living at home, to get paralegal training before flying the coop?

You say you've been an office manager. That could get you somewhere in a university system. You can apply for office admin jobs that are classified as "lead", and supervisory positions further up. The same with City jobs. You can try the UCSF temp pool; that's often a good way to get your foot in the door, as well as a trickle of income in your direction. There may be a temp pool with the City, too, I don't know. Probably in the temp pool, they wouldn't reject you as overqualified, because it's just a temp job. You can try and see. Universities do continue to operate during Covid, but I have no idea what that looks like. City offices have people working from home, but probably have some staff on site; you could take a look at their listings and see.

I know this type of job is not your dream, but it's a start. It's something, which is more than you currently have, and it's a way to capitalize on your experience as a manager. If you get a regular gig of this type, you could attend paralegal classes at night. Patience. Your future is build one building block at a time.
To answer your first question, no there wasn't, because there was not a single paralegal program within three hours of me accredited by the American Bar Association.

Old 02-03-2021, 10:25 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,580,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMagz View Post
I don’t want to dive too much but there was nothing for me in Iowa, either. I moved back to my hometown in May of last year and things did not go well for me there.

Honestly my move to SF is sort of like a last ditch effort to find any sort of happiness. If I fail here (which I probably will) it’s all over for me. I suffer from depression and anxiety and dealing with those problems while also being unemployable trapped in my mom’s basement with no way out was just too much to bear.

I majored in Art History and I could barely even get a call back for a job while living there. My life has taken a downward spiral the past few years and I have been borderline suicidal and chronically unemployed. Maybe I tried to take the “easy way out” by coming to California but I don’t know. There was literally nothing for me there. At all. I live a complicated life and sometimes I wish it was sort of over with (which is why I often do risky things).

I know I’m extremely unlikely to find a paralegal job. I had an interview this morning for a data entry clerk position and they basically said I was overqualified having worked as an office manager. I know to lower my expectations. Hopefully one day I will be able to actually get a job I enjoy but I know that is exceedingly unlikely.

This is awful...your life isn’t over. Other posters like Deano were in the very same situation as you....moving to Sf with no job to find happiness. Read his posts & there are so many similarities that might help you. He lives up in wine country now from other threads & his profile... but he used to live near you. He just stuck with it for weeks & didn’t give up even tho he had to move back too. BUT...now that you talk about failure...depression....anxiety...& suicidal tendencies, IMO that’s super serious & more than just trying to find a job. Pls call the warm line at 855 845 7415. You can also contact at info@mentalhealthsf.org or on Market Street.

Quote:
If I fail here (which I probably will) it’s all over for me. I suffer from depression and anxiety and dealing with those problems while also being unemployable trapped in my mom’s basement with no way out was just too much to bear.
Quote:
I had an interview this morning for a data entry clerk position and they basically said I was overqualified having worked as an office manager.

it makes no sense to say that you are unemployable or trapped if you worked as office manager AND you saved money to move here. Pls reach out to the warm line...IMO this is so much more than somebody moving to Sf. Good luck...& pls take care of yourself before it becomes an even bigger problem for you.

Old 02-03-2021, 02:19 PM

Quote:
I don’t really have a family home to go back to. My dad died years ago, my mom lives in a small house with her boyfriend who is disabled from a neurological disease. Her house is very small and she always has her grandchildren over. I stayed there for eight long months and it was sheer torture. There is also very limited economic or employment opportunity in that area, maybe none at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland