Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 09:00 PM

18,962 posts, read 32,430,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I just think that having kids grow up in a multi-cultural area gives them a more global sense. When you grow up in a white middle class suburb, that is all you know.
But the Bay Area is full of white upper middle class suburbs too, what's the difference btwn a white upper middle class suburb here and one on Long Island, NY? The Bay Area is not fundamentally unique as people think it is, most major metropolitan areas have a decent level of diversity and some are just as diverse if not more diverse than the Bay Area. Sacramento is more ethnically diverse than SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 09:39 PM

30,286 posts, read 51,739,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clongirl View Post
I think the whole "diversity" thing is really overrated. I moved my kids out of the country entirely from San Francisco and lived among an all white, Catholic, populace. From what I observed and from learning much from my Irish husband is that there was far less racism among communities that have very- if any, diversity.
Maybe that's because they don't have anyone to discriminate against? If everyone is of the same heritage, who could they be racist against? But I do agree that it's all in the parent's attitude, and luckily the OP seems like an open-minded individual.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:43 PM

323 posts, read 1,422,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
I am waying the pro's and con's of moving my children away frrom the area. We could have a much bigger house, and perhaps even in a safer neighborhood. Gas would likely be cheaper, as would food. Schools better? Perhaps.
They would lack the culture oppurtunity of interacting with other nationalities from EVERYWHERE and all the fun stuff we had growing up around here to do.

Great America
Bonfante Gardens
Discovery Museum
Safari West
Pier 39/Cable Cars/Presidio/Cliff House (Course the penny arcade has moved)
Marin Headlands
Marine World
Fairyland
SF Zoo
The Boardwalk
Half Moon Bay's Pumpkin Festival
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Coyote Point
Lindsay Museum
Tilden Park
Kennedy Park
and much much more.

golden gate bridge not in san fran? and no one mentioned?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdave01 View Post
I just think that having kids grow up in a multi-cultural area gives them a more global sense. When you grow up in a white middle class suburb, that is all you know.
Agreed. I've experienced things here that I simply wouldn't get in an all-anything town... for instance I've been to a Quinceanera, Baptism, Christening, Bar & Bat-Mitzvahs galore, Gay Pride parades, Chinese New Year parties, and so forth. You can appreciate and even celebrate different cultures anywhere, but it's different to actually be immersed in them. Just my opinion!

Old 05-08-2008, 12:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,294,328 times
More than experiencing other cultures, which is quite nice, it's important that children grow up with kids of all backgrounds while sharing a common American culture. It lessens the perceived divide and shatters many stereotypes.

Old 05-08-2008, 10:41 PM

680 posts, read 2,431,387 times
I think it depends where you'd be moving. There are plenty of other cities where there's a lot to do and ethnic diversity as well as lower real estate costs and better public schools. Lower-priced cities might have less ethnic diversity, but far more socio-economic diversity. It sounds like you love it here and your family is here, which is an intangible only you can evaluate. Other people I know don't want to raise kids here because they want more socio-economic diversity, less pressure/competition in schools that are still excellent, and, of course, a lower cost of living! It's personal and thank goodness there is no one right answer.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:12 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,110,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeevcy View Post
golden gate bridge not in san fran? and no one mentioned?
Not much to do there besides jump off of it. IT's to windy to stand on with most kids.. a few have been known to slip through the bars.

Presidio I should have mentioned since it is now park (GGPark as well).

Old 05-22-2008, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Not much to do there besides jump off of it.
Have you seen the movie "The Bridge?" A documentary filmmaker set up cameras across from the bridge, and recorded 24 people committing suicide in ONE YEAR. It was a really crazy movie, especially the final scene where a guy literally swan-dives off it - quite beautifully, strange as it is for me to say. Anyway, it's worth a look if you're not squeamish about that stuff.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:02 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,202,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
More than experiencing other cultures, which is quite nice, it's important that children grow up with kids of all backgrounds while sharing a common American culture. It lessens the perceived divide and shatters many stereotypes.
Word. Diversity is about growing up around so many different people and things...and realizing that they're all part of the same environment and life as you. You learn that people are the same, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, etc, etc. There will always be xenophobic or racist bigots, and they'll obviously have plenty of fuel in a diverse environment. But, that's not the point. The point is diversity breeds understanding, open-mindedness, and curiosity towards other cultures, especially among kids growing up in it. I want my kids growing up somewhere as diverse as the Bay Area.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:31 PM

3 posts, read 7,721 times
Default Forget about Great America!

Quote:
I am waying the pro's and con's of moving my children away frrom the area. We could have a much bigger house, and perhaps even in a safer neighborhood. Gas would likely be cheaper, as would food. Schools better? Perhaps.
They would lack the culture oppurtunity of interacting with other nationalities from EVERYWHERE and all the fun stuff we had growing up around here to do.

Great America
Bonfante Gardens
Discovery Museum
Safari West
Pier 39/Cable Cars/Presidio/Cliff House (Course the penny arcade has moved)
Marin Headlands
Marine World
Fairyland
SF Zoo
The Boardwalk
Half Moon Bay's Pumpkin Festival
Monterey Bay Aquarium
Coyote Point
Lindsay Museum
Tilden Park
Kennedy Park
and much much more.
Your list has stuff there that I've never even heard of! But Great America? Who cares about that place! No matter where you are headed you can find an amusement park of similar substance. I'd say compare only those things that can't be substituted else where, and then ask yourself whether the trade offs that come with a cheaper lifestyle and a lifestyle with less diversity and so forth. It's kind of like you get what you paid for. We pay so much in the Bay for things, but look at what you get for your buck. If those things are worth while, put off leaving. Stick around! But, if anything, think it through carefully. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland