Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2021, 10:55 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times

Advertisements

The most common spider I have seen (at least the ones that show up indoors) is daddy long legs. I don't like spiders.....but, for whatever the reason, this species does not bother me.......I can see one right now, in the wall corner near my desktop PC

I concor with the comment by a poster..."can you afford it? If you are planning to rent, the good news is there has been a fare size drop in average rent in SF due to a increase in the vacancy rate . Bad news is that rents are still very high in SF.
If you do rent an apt in SF, a apt bldg that is covered by rent control law will protect you from from any steep rent increases, when and if there is a rebound in rents. Not all apt bldg are covered by rent control and you will be paying current market rate to move in.
https://www.sfweekly.com/news/san-fr...keep-dropping/

https://bungalow.com/articles/rent-c...u-need-to-know

If you have the $$$ to purchase a home (whether a house or condo) lot is on the market for sale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2021, 11:15 AM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
OP! I totally relate to your arachnophobia - I have it too, with the addition of coach roach phobia.

I think you'll be good in SF.

I live on the coast and we do have Black Widows, but it's not a big problem.

SF is much preferable to Sacramento, especially weather-wise.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:52 AM

10 posts, read 9,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
https://www.pleasantonweekly.com/pri...f-mount-diablo

Not to scare you, but to educate...
Thanks for that! Not sarcastic, but really.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:53 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KNPV PSD View Post
Mount Diablo is quite a ways away from SF, and San Francisco Bay (and Oakland and a bunch of suburbs) are between them. We have a variety of spiders here in Richmond, but nothing too troubling. My S.O. grew up in SF proper and is not a fan of spiders, but there aren't many around. Most common is probably the daddy long legs, and they really aren't noteworthy. I don't even bother taking them outside unless they are in the way of something I'm doing.

Old 02-11-2021, 11:55 AM

10 posts, read 9,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
The most common spider I have seen (at least the ones that show up indoors) is daddy long legs. I don't like spiders.....but, for whatever the reason, this species does not bother me.......I can see one right now, in the wall corner near my desktop PC

I concor with the comment by a poster..."can you afford it? If you are planning to rent, the good news is there has been a fare size drop in average rent in SF due to a increase in the vacancy rate . Bad news is that rents are still very high in SF.
If you do rent an apt in SF, a apt bldg that is covered by rent control law will protect you from from any steep rent increases, when and if there is a rebound in rents. Not all apt bldg are covered by rent control and you will be paying current market rate to move in.
https://www.sfweekly.com/news/san-fr...keep-dropping/

https://bungalow.com/articles/rent-c...u-need-to-know

If you have the $$$ to purchase a home (whether a house or condo) lot is on the market for sale
Thanks! I know rent on SF is super high, and I don’t plan on moving yet due to this. I’m about to finish college, and even with my degree, I plan on getting a roommate or two. The rent rates? Not new information, but I appreciate you telling me!

Old 02-11-2021, 12:06 PM

299 posts, read 224,727 times
San Francisco has long been considered one of the lgbtq+ hot spots in the USA since at least the 70s.

As far as spiders; never seen anything other than daddy long legs and small garden spiders outside.

You really should read up on San Francisco like other posters suggested. Most people have a pretty strong opinion of it and it may not be for everyone. Personally I find the Bay Area is a gem and has so many cool opportunities and options. Great food, colorful people, and lots of outdoor opportunities within the city.

Most of the West coast is lgbtq friendly compared to the midwest. See if you can take a road trip through California first or take the Amtrak through to San Francisco/San Jose. California is a huge state; the Bay Area is also pretty massive when you actually visit. It's really awesome and I wish you good luck!

Old 02-11-2021, 01:09 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,463 times
I personally wouldn't move here right now, the cost/benefit ratio is way out of whack - SF is coasting on it's rep from the 60s and 70s, and the wave of tech money more recently has completely upended the ability of "normal people" to afford it.

Who knows what post-COVID life is going to be like, but based on what you get for your money there are much better options up and down the West Coast.

Old 02-11-2021, 07:36 PM

4,605 posts, read 2,999,207 times
Illinois is hardly 'the middle of nowhere' -- you've got one of the country's biggest metro areas there.
And it's actually said to be a (comparative) bargain among US big cities, and has a lively LGBT community
(just going by what people say here on CD.... I haven't lived there; I couldn't tolerate the winters!).

By all means, relocate to SF if the spirit moves you.
However, be ready for some housing sticker shock.
SF rents are said to be dropping, owing of course to the pandemic.
But they're probaby still among the highest in the country.

Old 02-11-2021, 08:38 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
I see you are also saying you're going to school in St. Louis this year?

Interesting.

Old 02-12-2021, 02:55 AM

21,541 posts, read 8,724,324 times
Actually rents are down in San Francisco (due to all the work-from-home folks moving to the suburbs). But it may not last, as this article from SF Gate explains. So if you're coming, get here as soon as you can.

San Francisco Rent Closes Out Year Down 27%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland