Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 01:31 PM

10 posts, read 9,296 times

Advertisements

I was originally thinking Sacramento but I like the SF area better...
I just. I have questions and I feel like I’m overthinking and somebody somewhere will judge and laugh at me, but whatever. I cannot help overthinking like I do with EVERYTHING.

1. Are there tarantulas or is it too far North?
2. Are the spiders big? I’m terrified of spiders!! Like freeze-in-my-tracks terrified. In Sacramento, some people said that the spiders are small and there aren’t Tarantulas. Is that the case in SF?
3. I know not everybody supports it and I fully understand that. But I’m a gay female, and wasn’t sure how accepting SF is? I’m not looking to get whacked!
I have many questions which I am positive I’ll ask when I figure some things out.

Thanks for any and all help you all give! I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2021, 01:49 PM

130,273 posts, read 12,099,804 times
No tarantulas. Yes there are spiders, but I have only ever seen normal sized ones. Sf is gay friendly, no need to worry about that.

Old 02-10-2021, 04:03 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,752,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emwynters7 View Post
I was originally thinking Sacramento but I like the SF area better...
I just. I have questions and I feel like I’m overthinking and somebody somewhere will judge and laugh at me, but whatever. I cannot help overthinking like I do with EVERYTHING.

1. Are there tarantulas or is it too far North?
2. Are the spiders big? I’m terrified of spiders!! Like freeze-in-my-tracks terrified. In Sacramento, some people said that the spiders are small and there aren’t Tarantulas. Is that the case in SF?
3. I know not everybody supports it and I fully understand that. But I’m a gay female, and wasn’t sure how accepting SF is? I’m not looking to get whacked!
I have many questions which I am positive I’ll ask when I figure some things out.

Thanks for any and all help you all give! I really appreciate it.
I'm a little surprised you don't know SF is gay-friendly. It has a strong LGBTQ population and Castro Street is very well known. Where are you coming from?

Old 02-10-2021, 04:09 PM

483 posts, read 842,261 times
Do you plan to live in the city itself? If so, no worries about spiders. You'll probably see fewer of them than most other places, and nothing gigantic.

But the spider situation can change outside of the city. I live just over the Golden Gate Bridge and we have far more spiders and normal day-to-day ones can get pretty big. It's probably my least favorite part of living here, to be honest.

I've heard from others in town of seeing wolf spiders, which are far more tarantula-like than I like to think about on a regular basis. I'll probably have to burn my place down if I ever encounter one. I'm getting a little antsy just writing about them.

I think other parts of the Bay can also get big spiders, even tarantulas if you go far enough out.

But to reiterate, I lived in SF proper for a number of years and I'm not sure I ever saw an even remotely menacing-looking spider. SF might be the best place in the US when it comes to insects.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:13 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rca215 View Post
Do you plan to live in the city itself? If so, no worries about spiders. You'll probably see fewer of them than most other places, and nothing gigantic.

But the spider situation can change outside of the city. I live just over the Golden Gate Bridge and we have far more spiders and normal day-to-day ones can get pretty big. It's probably my least favorite part of living here, to be honest.

I've heard from others in town of seeing wolf spiders, which are far more tarantula-like than I like to think about on a regular basis. I'll probably have to burn my place down if I ever encounter one. I'm getting a little antsy just writing about them.

I think other parts of the Bay can also get big spiders, even tarantulas if you go far enough out.

But to reiterate, I lived in SF proper for a number of years and I'm not sure I ever saw an even remotely menacing-looking spider. SF might be the best place in the US when it comes to insects.
Wold spiders definitely avoid.

Tarantula's no big deal they are not aggressive which is why you see so many movies with people picking them up and letting them walk on their hands. Never had any problems with them and ran across them a lot as a kid.

Old 02-10-2021, 05:23 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Really, the main thing you should be asking is, can you afford it. have you looked at rents on Craigslist? Do you have a job lined up?

Old 02-10-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
No tarantulas. Yes there are spiders, but I have only ever seen normal sized ones. Sf is gay friendly, no need to worry about that.
Thanks!!

Old 02-10-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I'm a little surprised you don't know SF is gay-friendly. It has a strong LGBTQ population and Castro Street is very well known. Where are you coming from?
I’m actually from middle of nowhere, Illinois.

Old 02-10-2021, 08:58 PM

130,273 posts, read 12,099,804 times
Do you have a job lined up? San Francisco is great, but an expensive place to live.

Old 02-10-2021, 09:41 PM

177 posts, read 125,681 times
https://www.pleasantonweekly.com/pri...f-mount-diablo

Not to scare you, but to educate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland