Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2021, 04:50 PM

4,315 posts, read 6,277,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHoover View Post
Lathrop is as urban as mayfield in the Andy griffith show
If this was my only choice for staying in California, I'd move out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2021, 06:10 PM

136 posts, read 105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
As much as I’d never want to leave I can’t justify moving to lathrop. You don’t get a good value for your money.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:36 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
I feel you. When I decided to move to Georgia, a few friends said stay in California but move somewhere cheaper. One suggested Tracy or Los banos. Most of the Bay Area is nice and epitomized the California lifestyle which for some is worth the cost of living. Moving out to those places you’re in California, but not the California many love. At that point many other places out of state are much better.
Where I live now I’d put on parr with my life in Pleasanton except for the humidity for four months. The tradeoff for me to put up with that is a better lifestyle for less money.
Ok I’ll admit I haven’t found a Chinese restaurant I like and there is no super burritos here like California.

Old 05-13-2021, 07:59 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
Quote:
Me too. Just spent a couple weeks on the road in the mid-section of the country. So many places much nicer than what one would find in the Central Valley. I would say it's just a matter of dealing with the bad weather, but let's be honest, Central Valley weather isn't that great either.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:30 PM

136 posts, read 105,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Me too. Just spent a couple weeks on the road in the mid-section of the country. So many places much nicer than what one would find in the Central Valley. I would say it's just a matter of dealing with the bad weather, but let's be honest, Central Valley weather isn't that great either.
It’s marginally better than the rest of the country

Old 06-22-2021, 10:35 AM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
San Francisco Chronicle:

Nearly every city in the Bay Area saw the majority of its homes sell for more than list price, according to recent data from real estate listing website Zillow.

https://sfchronicle.com/local/articl...s-16263716.php

Up until recently, it was typical for homes to go for about 15-20% overlist in El Cerrito, she said. The median house currently goes about 40% over list price."

Old 06-25-2021, 10:23 AM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrHoover View Post
Lathrop is as urban as mayfield in the Andy griffith show
Mayfield was the town on Leave it to Beaver.

The town on The Andy Griffith Show was Mayberry.

Old 06-29-2021, 01:28 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,458,634 times
Seems reports on the tech exodus are contradictory?

East Bay tech-recruiting company on joining the Bay Area exodus: ‘It’s a no brainer:

https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...it-avalon.html

Old 06-29-2021, 07:39 PM

23 posts, read 18,178 times
I have a relative who works for a large Silicon Valley tech company which is moving all of its corporate and non-tech functions (HR, Marketing, Sales, etc.) to Texas but keeping the bulk of its Engineering employees here, since there is a never-ending supply of tech workers from India and China (especially the former); plus, those employees will work for less than most U.S. citizen tech talent. My relative said he is sure that if his employer believed they could hire as many engineers in TX, and as cheaply, they would move the engineering teams there too. According to him, the reasons for the move of the non-tech departments are: 1) the company has too much trouble recruiting non-engineering talent to work here in the Bay Area because of the COL, mainly housing; 2) the top execs don't want to pay increased CA taxes. (His manager, a VP, admitted that to him.)

Also for what it's worth, and of course it's just anecdotal, it seems that at least once a week I hear of another friend, neighbor, or acquaintance moving out of the Bay Area, usually out of CA entirely. As examples, in only the past two months I've had one good friend and her family relocate to Phoenix (husband was offered a transfer by his employer; they didn't want to leave the Bay Area but despite both working could not afford a house here). Two of my son's best friends in his class are moving out of state also, one to Texas, one to Indiana. Before COVID hit, his elementary school had already lost several kids due to their families moving out of state to OR, TX, and FL. Finally, I was working a long-term sub position in a Bay Area elementary school last semester, and two students I worked with are also moving to TX this summer. Maybe it's not that many all things considered, but I'm only one person, and those are only people I know of and a few I've heard about lately. In fact, my husband was recently offered a transfer to TX too--not sure yet if we will make the move, though. On the other hand, every house in our neighborhood seems to sell in only 2-3 days, so....

Old 06-29-2021, 08:16 PM

21,724 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 510native View Post
I have a relative who works for a large Silicon Valley tech company which is moving all of its corporate and non-tech functions (HR, Marketing, Sales, etc.) to Texas but keeping the bulk of its Engineering employees here, since there is a never-ending supply of tech workers from India and China (especially the former); plus, those employees will work for less than most U.S. citizen tech talent. My relative said he is sure that if his employer believed they could hire as many engineers in TX, and as cheaply, they would move the engineering teams there too. According to him, the reasons for the move of the non-tech departments are: 1) the company has too much trouble recruiting non-engineering talent to work here in the Bay Area because of the COL, mainly housing; 2) the top execs don't want to pay increased CA taxes. (His manager, a VP, admitted that to him.)

Also for what it's worth, and of course it's just anecdotal, it seems that at least once a week I hear of another friend, neighbor, or acquaintance moving out of the Bay Area, usually out of CA entirely. As examples, in only the past two months I've had one good friend and her family relocate to Phoenix (husband was offered a transfer by his employer; they didn't want to leave the Bay Area but despite both working could not afford a house here). Two of my son's best friends in his class are moving out of state also, one to Texas, one to Indiana. Before COVID hit, his elementary school had already lost several kids due to their families moving out of state to OR, TX, and FL. Finally, I was working a long-term sub position in a Bay Area elementary school last semester, and two students I worked with are also moving to TX this summer. Maybe it's not that many all things considered, but I'm only one person, and those are only people I know of and a few I've heard about lately. In fact, my husband was recently offered a transfer to TX too--not sure yet if we will make the move, though. On the other hand, every house in our neighborhood seems to sell in only 2-3 days, so....
Well bless their li’l old hearts! Thank them for me, will ya?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland