Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2021, 11:39 AM

21,565 posts, read 16,072,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
You responded to my post and quoted a specific statement so it comes off that way. Especially when you've already said it earlier in the thread. You're just backpedaling and trying to save face now.
Lmfao sav. The backpedaling is you. What would I be ‘saving face’ from? We’re all anonymous here and anyway you’re the one being defensive about your intentions. My intentions have been open, clear, transparent and honorable in demonstrating the issue is relative. You have treated this, your own thread, as a one-sided issue: crime in the BA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2021, 11:45 AM

18,959 posts, read 32,418,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Lmfao sav. The backpedaling is you. What would I be ‘saving face’ from? We’re all anonymous here and anyway you’re the one being defensive about your intentions. My intentions have been open, clear, transparent and honorable in demonstrating the issue is relative. You have treated this, your own thread, as a one-sided issue: crime in the BA.
Accusing me trying to portray these crimes as unique after I clarified that I wasn't. Maybe you don't realize how a forum like this works, but when you quote someone's post you are responding to them and that post.

Old 05-19-2021, 12:14 PM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
No I didn't, some of you are read it that way because you're defensive whenever someone mentions negative things like this about the area/state. It's just a discussion thread for local crime. I posted these stories because they stood out to me; one was a mass shooting of a party bus and the other included murders that occurred in two cities that typically don't see any or only one or two a year if that. If you want to discuss it in the larger context of the nation go ahead but don't accuse me of trying to portray these crimes in the Bay Area as unique.
A single homicide in Sunnyvale does not demonstrate an overall increase in crime in the Bay Area, neither do several crimes in what might be considered a 'safe area'. Before you can claim a 'trend' you have to consider many other factors. Here is an excellent explanation for you: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-theyre-wrong/

As far as 'why' you started this thread, or why you want to constrain the discussion, I don't know because I don't know you well enough to guess. But I have seen threads like this created as red herrings to convey another more subtle message such as "Gavin Newsom has failed to stop serious crime in the Bay Area", or "Democratic governance leads to skyrocketing crime rates".

Old 05-19-2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
A single homicide in Sunnyvale does not demonstrate an overall increase in crime in the Bay Area, neither do several crimes in what might be considered a 'safe area'. Before you can claim a 'trend' you have to consider many other factors. Here is an excellent explanation for you: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-theyre-wrong/

As far as 'why' you started this thread, or why you want to constrain the discussion, I don't know because I don't know you well enough to guess. But I have seen threads like this created as red herrings to convey another more subtle message such as "Gavin Newsom has failed to stop serious crime in the Bay Area", or "Democratic governance leads to skyrocketing crime rates".
I never suggested it did or there was a trend in those cities. How do you even deduce that from what I stated?

I'm not trying to constrain the discussion. You and a few others are trying to accuse me of portraying these crimes as unique and I for whatever reason I have to repeatedly explain to you that I am not. The one exception was the looting story because that one does appear to be unique to the Bay Area.

What do previous threads like that have to do with this one? It's like some of you lack an inability to just take a thread for what it is and instead have a need to link it to everything else on this forum. Really no better than the type of people starting those others threads; opposite side of the same coin imo.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:53 PM

5,557 posts, read 4,901,259 times
Looks like Oakland is taking the lead for most shootings and homicides.

Old 05-19-2021, 02:56 PM

6,549 posts, read 6,581,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Looks like Oakland is taking the lead for most shootings and homicides.
Baltimore never recovered after Freddie Gray, homicides have remained sky high there for six years. Police backed off completely and let all the criminals kill each other. Same thing could happen in Oakland if they continue with the BLM/defund nonsense. Sad to see this happening but reality is you need cops.

Old 05-19-2021, 03:12 PM

5,557 posts, read 4,901,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheseGoTo11 View Post
Baltimore never recovered after Freddie Gray, homicides have remained sky high there for six years. Police backed off completely and let all the criminals kill each other. Same thing could happen in Oakland if they continue with the BLM/defund nonsense. Sad to see this happening but reality is you need cops.
We would prefer the Bureau of Land Management Federal agency and not that BLM whatever.

Old 05-21-2021, 11:12 AM

San Francisco's Shoplifting Surge

At a board of supervisors hearing last week, representatives from Walgreens said that thefts at its stores in San Francisco were four times the chain’s national average, and that it had closed 17 stores, largely because the scale of thefts had made business untenable.

Brendan Dugan, the director of the retail crime division at CVS Health, called San Francisco “one of the epicenters of organized retail crime” and said employees were instructed not to pursue suspected thieves because encounters had become too dangerous.

The hearing did not answer a crucial question: Why San Francisco? If the problem stems in part from a change in California law, why aren’t other cities in the state seeing similar spikes in shoplifting?

Old 05-21-2021, 11:37 AM

42,717 posts, read 25,880,492 times
Quote:
San Francisco's Shoplifting Surge

At a board of supervisors hearing last week, representatives from Walgreens said that thefts at its stores in San Francisco were four times the chain’s national average, and that it had closed 17 stores, largely because the scale of thefts had made business untenable.

Brendan Dugan, the director of the retail crime division at CVS Health, called San Francisco “one of the epicenters of organized retail crime” and said employees were instructed not to pursue suspected thieves because encounters had become too dangerous.

The hearing did not answer a crucial question: Why San Francisco? If the problem stems in part from a change in California law, why aren’t other cities in the state seeing similar spikes in shoplifting?
Walgreens has a responsibility to hire security personnel for their stores, they can't abdicate that responsibility and then clutch their pearls about being overwhelmed by shoplifters. The bigger picture is that the Walgreens chain is in deep doo doo nationwide and are planning to close 200 stores in addition to the 750 already announced.

You might find this interesting, this site tracks layoffs nationwide for businesses, it's not about San Francisco- and it's not just about Walgreen's but the comments made by Walgreen employees point out a corporate policy of giving shoplifters free reign https://www.thelayoff.com/t/YKHt2ll

Old 05-21-2021, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Walgreens has a responsibility to hire security personnel for their stores, they can't abdicate that responsibility and then clutch their pearls about being overwhelmed by shoplifters. The bigger picture is that the Walgreens chain is in deep doo doo nationwide and are planning to close 200 stores in addition to the 750 already announced.

You might find this interesting, this site tracks layoffs nationwide for businesses, it's not about San Francisco- and it's not just about Walgreen's but the comments made by Walgreen employees point out a corporate policy of giving shoplifters free reign https://www.thelayoff.com/t/YKHt2ll
They do have security guards, it mentions it in the article.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland