Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2021, 12:26 PM

56 posts, read 22,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
From what I have seen lately on the local news, it appears that the few that were caught from the recent incidents, are not getting lenient prosecution
Glad to see the San Francisco DA changing his tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 12:39 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I see. So you think that courts of law are not influenced by public opinion … which opinions in current times are shaped to an extreme by - wait for it - social media? You think that “experts” are ignorant while rambling ranting raving anonymous internet warriors should better define our society and legal issues?

Noted.

Speaking of LOL.
No I don’t think courts are influenced by City-Data forums LOL. And certainly not for the minor distinction some of you keep clinging to since the end result of both types of crimes is the same. If anything “looting” is the lesser charge.

How an earth did you deduce I was saying professors are “ignorant” from that? LOL. Talk about a reach and like I said earlier, some of you read way too much into things hence your incorrect impressions. Still waiting for those posts btw . They have certain viewpoints that are not necessarily right or wrong that they also teach to many who are or end up being “anonymous internet warriors”. I don’t think either should “define” society or legal issues. Seems like you do, probably because of this unhealthy blind adherence to “experts”. That’s fine and certainly your prerogative but don’t expect others to do the same thing.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:17 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshampoo View Post
Doesn’t help when those who are caught prosecution is lenient.
How many flash mob robbers have been released due to "lenient prosecution". By the way this flash mob trend is occurring across the US and in other Countries so it must be your assumption that all prosecutors are lenient because if they weren't people would be trembling in fear and these events would never happen again, right?

By the way the prosecution of a criminal case where the defendant doesn't quickly plead guilty can take a year or two before it's decided, so much for your 'tough on crime' nonsense being a deterrent.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:39 PM

56 posts, read 22,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
How many flash mob robbers have been released due to "lenient prosecution". By the way this flash mob trend is occurring across the US and in other Countries so it must be your assumption that all prosecutors are lenient because if they weren't people would be trembling in fear and these events would never happen again, right?

By the way the prosecution of a criminal case where the defendant doesn't quickly plead guilty can take a year or two before it's decided, so much for your 'tough on crime' nonsense being a deterrent.
So you believe the San Francisco DA is a tough prosecutor? True, this looting is happening across the nation in cities where the DA’s tend to be lenient with low to no cash bails. It’s not a phenomenon why crime is rising along with this flash mob looting.

There will always be crime, but when prosecutors refuse to prosecute, crime tends to rise. It’s not complicated.

Old 11-25-2021, 01:56 PM

21,725 posts, read 16,327,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
No I don’t think courts are influenced by City-Data forums LOL. And certainly not for the minor distinction some of you keep clinging to since the end result of both types of crimes is the same. If anything “looting” is the lesser charge.

How an earth did you deduce I was saying professors are “ignorant” from that? LOL. Talk about a reach and like I said earlier, some of you read way too much into things hence your incorrect impressions. Still waiting for those posts btw . They have certain viewpoints that are not necessarily right or wrong that they also teach to many who are or end up being “anonymous internet warriors”. I don’t think either should “define” society or legal issues. Seems like you do, probably because of this unhealthy blind adherence to “experts”. That’s fine and certainly your prerogative but don’t expect others to do the same thing.
Speaking of “reach” and “reading too much into things” … where do you get that I have “an unhealthy blind adherence to experts”? I don’t often ascribe personal views to “experts’” opinions. I certainly do link experts’ positions in a variety of posts as examples of verifiable informed opinion to counter off-the-wall anonymous armchair bloviations. And I am certainly more inclined to consider their positions more highly credible than anonymous sources. Sure. Why wouldn’t I? Why wouldn’t any intelligent person want to consider expertise over anonymous bloviation? But I don’t typically argue experts’ positions. I just let readers consider the information sources. The fact you ridicule expertise speaks volumes about your arguments.

Are courts influenced by CityData forums? I didn’t suggest that speciously. I - correctly - identified that social media is THE #1 generator of public opinion in this internet age. To the extent that CityData is a social media it is thus a component among many of the process. While often difficult to tie a specific instance of opinion to a specific outcome in a court, it is undeniable that the aggregate effect of this kind of chatter perniciously infects all society.

How did I ‘deduce you were saying professors are ignorant’? Because you ridiculed the notion that the professors’ opinions should be regarded as expert, while also inferring that it’s silly to hold them in any special regard more than your average anonymous joe.

By the way, are you aware that City Data has almost 3 million members and 60 million posts in nearly 3 million threads … and is read by millions more non-members? And you laugh at the notion it might contribute to aggregate public opinion?

Old 11-25-2021, 02:06 PM

7,019 posts, read 3,745,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Meanwhile, they made an arrest at the mall: they arrested a woman who was waiting in line to pay for her merchandise without wearing a mask for violating the mask mandate. She is being held without bail with pending charges of "attempted murder" because she might spread Covid.
Wonder how many years she will get for that

Old 11-25-2021, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Speaking of “reach” and “reading too much into things” … where do you get that I have “an unhealthy blind adherence to experts”? I don’t often ascribe personal views to “experts’” opinions. I certainly do link experts’ positions in a variety of posts as examples of verifiable informed opinion to counter off-the-wall anonymous armchair bloviations. And I am certainly more inclined to consider their positions more highly credible than anonymous sources. Sure. Why wouldn’t I? Why wouldn’t any intelligent person want to consider expertise over anonymous bloviation? But I don’t typically argue experts’ positions. I just let readers consider the information sources. The fact you ridicule expertise speaks volumes about your arguments.

Are courts influenced by CityData forums? I didn’t suggest that speciously. I - correctly - identified that social media is THE #1 generator of public opinion in this internet age. To the extent that CityData is a social media it is thus a component among many of the process. While often difficult to tie a specific instance of opinion to a specific outcome in a court, it is undeniable that the aggregate effect of this kind of chatter perniciously infects all society.

How did I ‘deduce you were saying professors are ignorant’? Because you ridiculed the notion that the professors’ opinions should be regarded as expert, while also inferring that it’s silly to hold them in any special regard more than your average anonymous joe.

By the way, are you aware that City Data has almost 3 million members and 60 million posts in nearly 3 million threads … and is read by millions more non-members? And you laugh at the notion it might contribute to aggregate public opinion?
You go around waving your little internet finger at people with some tired "but you're not an expert" spiel and those experts always tend to have a certain slant/viewpoint. A lot of these "internet armchair experts" you constantly whine about are also expressing views shared by other "experts". It's common among some of you that don't seem to have the ability or desire to critically think and discuss topics and try to hide behind certain "experts".

And I didn't ridicule professors at all. You seemed to think you had something with "look these professors are saying it too" without realizing that's where much of this wokeness comes from. I was actually ridiculing YOU clinging to their viewpoint LOL. I was just pointing out that many people that you come across and argue with on the internet have been taught the similar things by these types of professors, don't read too much into that.

It's not semantics the internet is arguing or getting upset over when it comes to public opinion on crime/courts like you and others are doing. It's the severity of charges and punishment that generally generates a public outcry.

Last edited by sav858; 11-25-2021 at 03:19 PM..

Old 11-25-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

So you don't think many of those looters don't have previous arrests/convictions?

Old 11-25-2021, 04:11 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,812,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodshampoo View Post
So you believe the San Francisco DA is a tough prosecutor? True, this looting is happening across the nation in cities where the DA’s tend to be lenient with low to no cash bails. It’s not a phenomenon why crime is rising along with this flash mob looting.

There will always be crime, but when prosecutors refuse to prosecute, crime tends to rise. It’s not complicated.

It will be up to the voters of SF to decide that and what they want to see in their DA. If the SF DA is recalled, then Mayor London Breed has the power choose someone to fill the position. I believe Breed was for Suzy Loftus for DA during the last election.

Old 11-25-2021, 05:37 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
So you don't think many of those looters don't have previous arrests/convictions?
I'm not sure why you are asking me that, I didn't make any statement/claims about the prior criminal history of anyone, mainly because I don't have any idea - and as far as I know, neither do you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland