Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2022, 07:09 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
You and sleepy and I several times in the past have gone round on this issue of whether there is value to including context of how crime in California stacks up with crime elsewhere. And here you are begging the question again with your little personal undertones of ridicule, and suggesting context is “off-topic”.

My ‘advice’ is that larger context is always both interesting and relevant … the antithesis of context would be myopia … don’t you think? … and thus, speaking for myself, I am following my own advice.

I also don’t agree that anything in what sleepy wrote could be interpreted as ‘not caring’ if her own dogs were stolen. That’s just you needlessly needling.
Not really relevant because it simply makes no difference to how crime effects the quality of life here.

But lets be honest you did it to try to "diminish" the crime in the area by doing so yet now you were just claiming that is not what you're trying to do now but here you are again arguing the same old thing.... I think you compared SF to the Bronx and New Orleans before LOL.

Well most people would find pets being stolen a bit jarring, at least people that like pets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2022, 07:29 PM

21,735 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Not really relevant because it simply makes no difference to how crime effects the quality of life here.

But lets be honest you did it to try to "diminish" the crime in the area by doing so yet now you were just claiming that is not what you're trying to do now but here you are again arguing the same old thing.... I think you compared SF to the Bronx and New Orleans before LOL.

Well most people would find pets being stolen a bit jarring, at least people that like pets.
Completely disagree with your notion that understanding similar crimes in other places has no effect on understanding the crime locally. In fact, that strikes me as complete rubbish.

For example, if a French Bulldog is stolen in a California city, and people locally are then educated to the fact that French Bulldogs are prime targets for theft around the world - presumably owners, and would-be-owners will be that much more alert to the risks of ownership.

Not sure how you read ‘diminution’ in any of my comments.

Not sure how you read any lack of ‘jarring’ in previous posts.

Not sure that comparing SF to the Bronx and New Orleans is inappropriate *depending on the context of the comparison* either. The three cities are obviously different in many ways … and yet, all cities have many things also in common. Context, context, context, sav.

Old 01-25-2022, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Completely disagree with your notion that understanding similar crimes in other places has no effect on understanding the crime locally. In fact, that strikes me as complete rubbish.

For example, if a French Bulldog is stolen in a California city, and people locally are then educated to the fact that French Bulldogs are prime targets for theft around the world - presumably owners, and would-be-owners will be that much more alert to the risks of ownership.

Not sure how you read ‘diminution’ in any of my comments.

Not sure how you read any lack of ‘jarring’ in previous posts.

Not sure that comparing SF to the Bronx and New Orleans is inappropriate *depending on the context of the comparison* either. The three cities are obviously different in many ways … and yet, all cities have many things also in common. Context, context, context, sav.
I wasn't talking about "understanding" crime locally how it relates to other places but rather how it directly effects you and the quality of life. It doesn't really matter what happens 3,000 miles away. The most important thing is whether or not it's happening here locally and how frequently.

Do you think Bay Area pet owners are comforted by the fact this happens elsewhere too? Should they consider "the context" and feel a certain way about it?

You basically agreed with someone who doesn't find pets being stolen from their owners "jarring".

Old 01-25-2022, 09:23 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,877 times
Quote:
Yep, as if that supposed to make it any less jarring when it happens here. Their sidekick is probably digging into the Google archives right now looking for any frenchies stolen in Idaho lol.
In the Bay Area, the leftists would rather see people arrested for not wearing a mask on BART than jumping the turnpikes.

Last edited by ThinkingOutsideTheBox; 01-25-2022 at 09:41 PM..

Old 01-26-2022, 10:31 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Quote:
Ever been to Spokane? It is Idaho but for a couple miles. Problem with Idaho proper is only about a dozen people live there so slim pickins …
12 plus 749,202 in the treasure valley. 1.7 million population in the state

Fun fact more people have dogs in Idaho then any other state. How many hours did it take you to find that one article of puppies stolen? Here people respect other peoples property including French Bulldogs.

Ps bikes aren’t stolen here either

Old 01-26-2022, 04:57 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,013,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
In the Bay Area, the leftists would rather see people arrested for not wearing a mask on BART than jumping the turnpikes.

Old 01-26-2022, 05:00 PM

Time for a lockdown. They let too many prison inmates out. They need to be rounded up and dropped off on the Farallone Island. But first the prosecution needs to be recalled.
Then the ones that are caught will be put away and not released.

Old 01-26-2022, 05:03 PM

They only lockdown law-abiding citizens in the Bay Area

Old 01-26-2022, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Right I get ya just like this:

https://patch.com/california/concord...campaign=alert

Punish the law abiding citizens and of course let the criminals go who will not abide by this.

It has already been proven by the politicians/the money $$$ grabbers and gun grabbers that there is no solution to combat criminals but only to punish the law abiding people who will follow this.

Whenever there is $$$ to be made they will use these funds for something else of course.

Old 01-26-2022, 09:44 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,033,877 times
Quote:
This: they made it illegal to meet with anyone who doesn’t live in your household for most of 2020 but legal to riot of the streets with thousands of strangers for BLM. Now that everything is open again, they are more draconian about masks: to the point where a maskless patron at a store is seen as a far greater threat than 50 looters grabbing things from shelves while screaming vulgar insults. Now the vaccine passports in SF: the cops are more likely show up if a restaurant or museum has people without a vaccine or negative Covid test refusing to leave than it a resident calls to report a robbery in process and too many people here are on board with this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland