Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:49 PM

23 posts, read 75,873 times

Advertisements

We're interested in relocating to Pacifica from Washington, DC. We're specifically looking for a great, small, progressive, public high school for our daughter.
Any information on Oceana High School and what it's like to live in Pacifica? We know it's a big change from the urban thing we've got in DC. We're looking for a change but still want some services (shops, cafes, etc). Is Pacifica a walkable town to stores? We'll be working in SF. We also have a middle school aged child so are interested in info on Pacific middle schools as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2009, 12:00 PM

11 posts, read 27,054 times
Hi there, I'm writing this based on a one time trip to Pacifica last week as I too am scouting out options and places to live in the Bay Area (and am relocating from the Wash DC area). We made the trip to Pacifica because of a nice rental community that was advertised; the community itself (The Bluffs) was really nice and directly on the Pacific. Overall though, I wouldn't move to Pacifica. It struck me as an older town, very car dependent but convenient to the 1 freeway that goes into SF. There are stores and services but it didn't seem to be a walkable town. The people seemed to lean towards middle aged and older. Overall, the community doesn't look nice asthetically either, more of an older, working class look to alot of the buildings. I did drive past the high school you speak of but don't know anymore about it.

One other thing a friend living nearby in Daly City reminded me of is that Pacifica sits right on the ocean and it tends to be drizzling and foggy very frequently, some times for several days at a time. Last Saturday was certainly one of those days! If you like cool (50s), damp and foggy weather it may be the place for you.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:09 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,069,075 times
Pacifica is nice and quiet but its definitely a sleepy little town. Has an old town feel but its within close proximity to SF. I think its a great place to sleep but I'd definitely find my way to the city quite often.

Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 AM

23 posts, read 75,873 times
Thanks for the input.

Old 12-31-2009, 01:23 AM

2 posts, read 15,968 times
Smile I grew up in Pacifica and...

Hello There - I grew up in Pacifica and lived there for about 25 years, and can tell you what it's like. It is a rectangular shaped city about 10 miles long, not very wide and depending where you live, very hilly.

There are only two high schools, Oceana and Terra Nova. I graduated many years ago so I don't know the quality of either these days, but I do remember Terra Nova being the newer high school (it is also the high school that comedian Rob Schneider graduated from). They have an outdoor swimming pool, while Oceana has the indoor one (added in 1981). I do not remember either high school as being particularly scholarly...but times may have changed in past years. I would call either school personally and ask about test scores, etc. The same would be true for middle schools, however there are many more of those.

The most marked feature of Pacifica I would tell a newcomer about is the weather. It tends to be rather foggy much of the time. However, the air is very fresh. moist and breezy as you are right up next the Pacific Ocean, hence the name "Pacifica." You will not need to worry about air pollution here...but you will need a jacket if you are going to live there. It does have its warm days of course but there are not that many. There are people that move there because of the fog and those that move away for the same reason, of course it is always a matter of preference.

If you are able to purchase a home that has a window that faces the ocean, you will have a glorious view, and every sunset you see will be an experience.

I'll be honest and tell you there is not a lot of shopping in my old hometown, but you will find many quaint little shops and restaurants and of course a few major grocery stores. Pacifica is made up of little districts, they are Fairmont, Pacific Manor, Vallemar, Linda Mar, Westview, Park Pacifica to name a few. Some have more stores than others (Linda Mar) while some only have a couple small stores, a restaurant or two (Vallemar). Not all of them are in walking distance. The Rockaway area has a few hotels and dinner house restaurants, all very nice.

Most people who have serious shopping to do find all major stores in the next adjoining town of Daly City or San Bruno. You will find all the major stores like Target, Barnes & Noble, etc. all there. Daly City has the Serramonte Mall and a ton of shopping. San Francisco is only 10 mins away, just hop on the freeway from highway one and you're there.

The one thing I appreciated most about Pacifica when growing up there was it was almost like not really being in the Bay Area. It seems to have a quiet that the rest of the surrounding cities did not have. Yet, you are not far away from the City (San Francisco) at all. A night on the town in the City and in a few minutes driving you are already home!

I can see why you would want to live there, I look forward to retiring there when it comes my time. It is not what I would call a sophisticated city, but it is a great place to raise a family. If you love the beach and the coast, you will like Pacifica. Oh yes, and you have the Pacifica Pier, which has lots of fishing.

I hope I have answered your question and please feel free to email me privately if you would like to. Best wishes and Happy New Year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCDoula View Post
We're interested in relocating to Pacifica from Washington, DC. We're specifically looking for a great, small, progressive, public high school for our daughter.
Any information on Oceana High School and what it's like to live in Pacifica? We know it's a big change from the urban thing we've got in DC. We're looking for a change but still want some services (shops, cafes, etc). Is Pacifica a walkable town to stores? We'll be working in SF. We also have a middle school aged child so are interested in info on Pacific middle schools as well.

Old 12-31-2009, 10:07 AM

2,404 posts, read 4,401,031 times
Don't forget the Taco Bell on the beach with a walk up window for the surfers!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:28 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,719,328 times
I f you must live by the ocean, check out Half Moon Bay to the south of Pacifica. And this area does get a great deal of fog, drizzle and wind even in the summer time.

Check out the east side of the peninsula (Burlingame, San Mateo, Belmont, San Carlos, etc.) which has much warmer weather with more sunny days than the coastside. These towns also have nice walkable downtowns. There is also a commuter train from these towns into San Francisco caltrain.com - General Info: System Map along with 2 freeways into SF (101 & 280).

Old 01-07-2010, 01:09 AM

2 posts, read 15,968 times
I forgot to mention...if you are looking for a great progressive school for your children, you might check out Millbrae, Burlingame or San Mateo, you have many more schools to choose from and some of them can be very competitive...hope this helps!!

Old 12-06-2010, 10:01 PM

1 posts, read 6,533 times
I read with interest the above posts! My husband and I bought a house here in Pacifica when we married and LOVE this town. It's not for everyone - but we would not want to live anywhere else. It is "small town" at it's quirky best - contained/defined by the mountains and the sea, but close to the city life of San Francisco and easy get-aways north or south along scenic highway one. Coastal views and fabulous hiking and open space; parks; an active art and music scene with a local theatre company - definitely a creative community. The "fog" is somewhat over-rated (mostly a few weeks in the summer) - there are parts of Pacifica that get sun more than fog even then. Definitely "cooler" by the coast - coastal fresh air! - but think of the air conditioning you never need (in fact my husband and I love the drive from work from the heat into the cool! and a wonderful walk along the beach watching the sunset. Schools: we have 2 teens: both went to a wonderful K-8th grade school (Ocean Shore) - all the schools here have benefited from an active community of supportive parents, great teachers and "choice" - visit the schools to find the "right" place for your child. My daughter is a senior at Oceana High School - this is a small highly academic high school that celebrates "learning" in the biggest sense. She has been and continues to be challenged and prepared for college/university - but not from "the books" but from interested and engaged teachers, small group presentations and thematic studies. The school has fostered her curiosity (she has been challenged to think), her creativeness (dance, art, theatre), her athletic drive (she was welcomed into the tennis team (even though she had never played) and cross country, and community service (a graduation requirement). You may get the idea I love the place - I do! I doubt you can find better. Again there is "choice" here and my son elected to go to another of the high schools in the district but out of town. I know other parents and kids who are very happy with their choice of Terra Nova High School - a larger, more "traditional" high school with a band, football team and more choices for sports and activities. Pacifica is not perfect! but for my husband and myself and my family it is home and we couldn't be happier! My in-laws call it an "undiscovered jewel"! True!

Old 01-02-2011, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 6,429 times
Vdav, my husband and I moved to the Bay Area recently and have started house shopping, starting with nailing down the location. You mention Pacifica is "not perfect" but that you love it. What would you say are the negatives about the city? I agree with you that nothing is perfect and you're often sacrificing something to live here. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland