Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM

1,650 posts, read 3,517,693 times

Advertisements

Have you seen the weather here lately? I mean its May and if you compare with any city in lower 48 states, SF is the coldest, least sunny, cloudy and wet. Hey anyone would get depressed in this kind of weather. No wonder so many people jump of golden gate bridge!

So come to SF and enjoy your memorial day BBQ in 52 degree, foggy, cloudy, windy day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davachka View Post
I have not lived in S.F. but have visited 6-8 times and have always come back thinking, wow people go out of their way to be nice there.
I see that you haven't lived here. I am sure you will be singing a different tune once you live here. BTW, are you from New York?

Old 05-19-2010, 02:03 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,073,932 times
Holy topic bump Batman!

And I find that people are very friendly and polite to strangers in the Bay Area. Most people are not rude and grouchy and nosy like they are in Chicago (I lived there for a few years before moving to SF), and if you are a lost tourist people will help you find your way. People aren't really outgoing and chatty to strangers like they can be in Chicago, but that isn't always a good thing anyway.

As for the weather, I prefer San Francisco weather most of the time. I like that it rarely gets over 70 and rarely gets below 50. It would be nice to get some 80's and sunshine now and then but I really can't stand 90+ heat, it's just too much.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:46 PM

157 posts, read 332,417 times
To Iplantlife,

You pretty much described how I feel about this City!!! I really don't get how people love the weather here when it's cloudy/overcast like today and probably for the next three months. I thought I was depressed last year when the gloom hit! There are things to do here, but I just can't afford it! I came home last weekend and saw some neighbors having a bbq and all of them were wearing hoodies or Northface jackets with beanies and all looked like they were freezing...Sad Unfortunately I'm freezing too and tired of having dry nose/throat from having my heater on every night

Old 05-19-2010, 03:54 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,076 times
You guys whine ALOT for a place that doesn't have a real summer, or a real winter. SF has some of the best weather in the U.S. bar none, and get much less precipitation than almost anyone else. Dig yourself outta three feet of snow in the winter, and spend the summer hiding from the scorching sun then tell me about depressing weather. Gimme a break!

In many cities, if you become homeless, there is a very real danger of freezing to death, not SF. You guys don't know how good you got it.

I mess wit y'all because you make yourselves easy targets.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:26 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
You guys whine ALOT for a place that doesn't have a real summer, or a real winter. SF has some of the best weather in the U.S. bar none, and get much less precipitation than almost anyone else. Dig yourself outta three feet of snow in the winter, and spend the summer hiding from the scorching sun then tell me about depressing weather. Gimme a break!
If you had just left it at that...

Old 05-19-2010, 05:35 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,292,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddharthaGautama View Post
I had a friend who recently visited her brother out in San Francisco. My friends brother said that everyone out in SF is depressed mainly because everyone has to work so much to survive. Not just one job, but two or three. What are everyone else's thoughts on this issue? I've thought about moving to the area just like everyone else. Because of the culture, the closeness of everything (oceans, mountains, city life), and jobs. Are there good jobs to be found out there and is everyone depressed?
I do not live there but used to vacation there every other year.

The very last time I was there, in 2006, things seemed different. Before, I loved the vitality of the city, of San Franciscans ~ it was contagious. But this last time, I didn't pick up that vibe at all. The whole atmosphere did seem more "down". And I encountered a lot more lackadaisical attitudes, too. Many mass-transit drivers gave me the impression that they didn't know their jobs, nor cared to. (Actually, I returned home very furious with Muni and the drivers who didn't deserve their jobs.)

I'd still like to return, though. Someday. Maybe in 2012.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
SF has some of the best weather in the U.S.
Another typical pointless assertion that is so typical on this board! You got freakin cold, rainy, foggy summer, winter, spring with two months of reasonably clear weather in the Indian summers. When people say SF summers are dry its complete BS. The fog in western part of the city feels like rain and it happens every single day! By any standards, that is pretty horrible weather. I will take TX weather (I moved from there) anyday over this pathetic weather.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:06 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,720,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyadhi01 View Post
Another typical pointless assertion that is so typical on this board! You got freakin cold, rainy, foggy summer, winter, spring with two months of reasonably clear weather in the Indian summers. When people say SF summers are dry its complete BS. The fog in western part of the city feels like rain and it happens every single day! By any standards, that is pretty horrible weather. I will take TX weather (I moved from there) anyday over this pathetic weather.
C'mon man.......................you and I both know, you do not miss those hot @ss texas summers.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
C'mon man.......................you and I both know, you do not miss those hot @ss texas summers.
Well unlike SF, TX has seasons! I would take 3 months of hot weather over year long bad weather. FYI, unlike SF every building in TX has A/C and the infrastructure is modern and more than capable of dealing with extreme weathers- I know SF is yet to adopt modern building technology but not everyplace is choke full of dysfunctional run-down housing like SF!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland