Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 09:10 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,362,179 times

Advertisements

Old thread but I agree with the critique of sleepiness. SF is not a true night life town. Lots of uptight people who are totally anal retentive about noise levels, 2nd hand smoke, etc.

Lots of health nazis who get up at the crack of dawn even on weekends in order to maintain their six packs (no, not that type of six pack ... ).

It's a real buzz kill regarding serious partying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 05:46 AM

6,817 posts, read 9,035,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie1004 View Post
And Davis, California where the bike riding is de rigeur and has been for decades. Davis is known as "the city of bicycles."

Now I see road signs in the SF Bay Area that state "Bicycles (picture of) may use the entire lane." It now takes me twice as long to drive anywhere! This area is densely populated as it is. And many bicyclists have no idea about the courtesies/rules of riding bicycles.
It won't take you twice as long. Just slow down and be careful. Riders will thank you.

Old 08-02-2017, 09:31 AM

102,161 posts, read 107,560,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
SF rocks in a Natural environment that it lies in. Views alone make plain Non-Victorian rows of homes? Take on a grandeur and status just for the views. Not the housing styles themselves.

If it was plainer Philly row-homes? Add SF hill views? They would be viewed as just as desirable and added grandeur. This is not to lessen SFs shopping and harbor attractions to neighborhoods known fore their unique vive. But I merely point out. NATURAL BEAUTY with the Golden Gate boost SF to the next level by far.

SF after its devastating earthquake. Almost was to be re-re-built and designed as a even MORE GRAND WUROPEAN CITY then it ended up as. Grand boulevards and European gardens and parks were to be in the rebuilding. Daniel Burnham did the Grand Plan. He's plans were adopted for Chicago in streets but primarily a rebuilt nee Lakefront with Grand downtown Parks, harbors and beaches.

This was his plan for SF.

Burnham Plan 1905 - FoundSF

The great Earthquake that devastated the city. Saw this plan too costly. But cheap row-housing WITH AWESOME VIEWS did happen. Of course not all row-housing was cheap... pun intended. We all love the Victorian ones and more elite SF from back in a day. But THIS OTHER SF COULD HAVE BEEN SPECTACULR. Perhaps to say better then we got is merely arguable and opinion alone? But sure looked awesome.
This is fascinating. Sometimes it's worth it to revive an ancient troll thread, for gems like this.

Old 08-02-2017, 01:23 PM

7,023 posts, read 14,455,021 times
Quote:
And Davis, California where the bike riding is de rigeur and has been for decades. Davis is known as "the city of bicycles."

Now I see road signs in the SF Bay Area that state "Bicycles (picture of) may use the entire lane." It now takes me twice as long to drive anywhere! This area is densely populated as it is. And many bicyclists have no idea about the courtesies/rules of riding bicycles.
At least Davis doesn't have major traffic jams regularly, so it's alright even if the bikes want to use the full lane downtown and not seriously impede traffic.

Old 08-02-2017, 02:04 PM

18,977 posts, read 32,575,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
At least Davis doesn't have major traffic jams regularly, so it's alright even if the bikes want to use the full lane downtown and not seriously impede traffic.
The freeway through town does.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:27 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,896,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Old thread but I agree with the critique of sleepiness. SF is not a true night life town. Lots of uptight people who are totally anal retentive about noise levels, 2nd hand smoke, etc.

Lots of health nazis who get up at the crack of dawn even on weekends in order to maintain their six packs (no, not that type of six pack ... ).

It's a real buzz kill regarding serious partying.
I fall more in the "wake up early to hit the trail" crowd (sorry...), but I do wish we had better late night options. I'm in favor of Scott Wiener's late night alcohol law that would let local cities extend their last call to 4 AM: California Senate Passes Bill That Would Extend Last Call at Bars to 4 A.M. | KTLA

Now - I doubt if SF would allow it - but there is at least the option to do so.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,896,297 times
Quote:

Bikes are legally required to ride in the road, and if they have to, must take the full lane. What would you have them do?

I know your answer...you don't want them there to begin with - and that's a fine thing to want. But welcome to living in a major City/region that is full of people getting to places in various ways. The road doesn't just belong to cars.

As a bicycle rider, I try my best to stay to the right. But on some roads, that's often impossible for some stretches. I might have to get over for a bit (often for my own safety, by the way). I usually avoid these roads, but sometime there is just no way to get around having to ride on those kind of roads.

We're not allowed to ride in the sidewalk...

Old 08-03-2017, 07:37 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,630,849 times
I understand some of the hate and some of the complaints of San Francisco, I get it. As a born and bred New Yorker I should have my nose up in the air because here in NYC convenience is everywhere you turn. However, I LOVE San Francisco, it has a flare and feel all its own that I really appreciate. It also has quite the amazing views and if you really look hard, there's many great things the city of San Francisco offers. Also, I think the skyline of San Francisco is so underrated, its so a beautiful city to look at. And I LOVE the hills, love the Bay Area in general really but San Francisco has my heart.

Old 08-03-2017, 07:40 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,630,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-of-nowhere View Post
Not even NYC has all 24/7 neighborhoods. Aside from bustling neighborhoods downtown, like the Village, others tend to be quiet too. Sure there are a few 24/7 places in most neighborhoods, but most of the bustling nightlife only really occurs in a few.

I'm a New Yorker born and raised and this is very true. The unique thing about NYC is that a lot of the partying areas are really spread out throughout the city so some areas can be bustling, then quite, then bustling, some areas are quiet for long stretches then you have parts where its bustling in pockets. Not everywhere in NYC is super loud. Especially in the outer boroughs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland