Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 09:56 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

Fire season fast approaching and Oakland leaders have banned gas string trimmers...

String or line trimmers are the bread and butter of fire hazard abatement.

Battery units ok for residential lawn care but woefully inadequate for waist high grass and brush and makers like Stihl have none to sell on the big units which can approach 2k with battery backpack...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 11:59 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Is it because of noise and/or pollution? These bans don't always seem well thought out.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:25 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
100% in favor of these kinds of restrictions for private residential users, especially for leaf blowers. The technology isn't quite there for contractor-grade equipment, though. When does the restriction take effect? Should be fine if it's in a couple years. Quality continues to improve and prices continue to come down.

I bought a battery weed whacker ~2 years ago and it's doing well. However, I bought a plug-in mower at that time because the battery ones weren't so great. Now I see some decent models on the market that wouldn't bankrupt me.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:38 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,656,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
100% in favor of these kinds of restrictions for private residential users, especially for leaf blowers. The technology isn't quite there for contractor-grade equipment, though. When does the restriction take effect? Should be fine if it's in a couple years. Quality continues to improve and prices continue to come down.

I bought a battery weed whacker ~2 years ago and it's doing well. However, I bought a plug-in mower at that time because the battery ones weren't so great. Now I see some decent models on the market that wouldn't bankrupt me.
Why?

Old 04-12-2021, 12:46 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Why?
Better for the environment, cleaner and easier to maintain, and usually quieter (although not as quiet as most people think). In the case of leaf blowers, I think they are more a nuisance than anything, so I'm fine with cracking down on them first. However, realistically I doubt any local jurisdictions have the resources or desire to become yard tool police, so I have doubts about the effectiveness of such legislation. Especially in a city like Oakland that can't even keep its own residents safe.

Old 04-12-2021, 12:48 PM

14,483 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Fire season fast approaching and Oakland leaders have banned gas string trimmers...

String or line trimmers are the bread and butter of fire hazard abatement.

Battery units ok for residential lawn care but woefully inadequate for waist high grass and brush and makers like Stihl have none to sell on the big units which can approach 2k with battery backpack...

Well, if this is something cities are doing, it will only impact inside city limits.

Those on large acreage using trimmers for fire abatement aren't affected yet.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:28 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times
My leaf blower and line trimmer are electric, but I have a chain saw, rototiller, pressure washer, riding mower, two generators and a chipper-shredder that are all gas. Hopefully that never happens here, and probably not because lots are mostly 12,000 sf or more, and we all have such tools. I was working in Oakland when the big hills firestorm of 1991 hit, most of the 2,843 single-family dwellings and 437 apartment and condominium units destroyed were in the Oakland City Limits.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:41 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Good lord. Eco fiends and other Leftist ban motorized tools, tools that are used to improve a neighborhood. This is like them imposing the plastic straw bans whilst ignoring human defecation.

Last edited by NickB1967; 04-12-2021 at 02:12 PM..

Old 04-12-2021, 01:43 PM

2,220 posts, read 2,801,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
Better for the environment, cleaner and easier to maintain, and usually quieter (although not as quiet as most people think). In the case of leaf blowers, I think they are more a nuisance than anything, so I'm fine with cracking down on them first. However, realistically I doubt any local jurisdictions have the resources or desire to become yard tool police, so I have doubts about the effectiveness of such legislation. Especially in a city like Oakland that can't even keep its own residents safe.
Except they aren't. Anyone who has had to deal with a fickle battery electric trimmer or drag extension cords around will know otherwise. Nor are electric blowers noticeably quieter.

Old 04-12-2021, 01:44 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
I have plug in weedeater and blower but the cord is always too short. I also have battery operated but it lasts like 5 minutes-hate it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland