Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2021, 06:01 PM

3 posts, read 2,319 times

Advertisements

What would be a nice area for a 40 year old newly-divorced tech professional with lots of opportunities to socialize and meet new friends. I was thinking of Berkeley or Oakland but does not seem safe. My monthly budget is $2500 - $3000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2021, 07:45 PM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio1974 View Post
What would be a nice area for a 40 year old newly-divorced tech professional with lots of opportunities to socialize and meet new friends. I was thinking of Berkeley or Oakland but does not seem safe. My monthly budget is $2500 - $3000.
Berkeley, and north Oakland: the Rockridge neighborhood of Oakland. Possibly Walnut Creek.

Where is your job, or do you work from home?

Here's a nice apartment in the Elmwood neighborhood of Berkeley, adjacent to Rockridge. It's a great neighborhood, very walkable to restaurants, grocery, shops, cinema, on bus routes to the university and downtown Oakland, walkable to the BART station.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...308497112.html

furnished apartment in Rockridge:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...307513176.html

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 04-17-2021 at 07:58 PM..

Old 04-18-2021, 09:29 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
Those are definitely good areas/neighborhoods for single professionals in their 40’s.

OP, you may wish to join a meetup group also. There are some for single’s in their 40’s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Berkeley, and north Oakland: the Rockridge neighborhood of Oakland. Possibly Walnut Creek.

Where is your job, or do you work from home?

Here's a nice apartment in the Elmwood neighborhood of Berkeley, adjacent to Rockridge. It's a great neighborhood, very walkable to restaurants, grocery, shops, cinema, on bus routes to the university and downtown Oakland, walkable to the BART station.
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...308497112.html

furnished apartment in Rockridge:
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/apa...307513176.html

Old 04-18-2021, 11:13 PM

124 posts, read 110,450 times
Quote:
San Jose area or the peninsula.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:12 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,497,593 times
The Rockridge and Piedmont Avenue neighborhoods of Oakland are good choices. Berkeley is geared towards a younger audience, so it isn't worth the higher rent prices. Consider Alameda (Park Street side of the island) if you want to be near Oakland but somewhere considered safer. I think Walnut Creek is an A+ location for folks in your demographic. My guess is that with a name like Fabio you aren't a woman, in which case I would not head to San Jose. It's called Man Jose for a reason, and if you're ready to mingle, you won't find much there.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:41 AM

23,531 posts, read 24,011,889 times
I completely forgot about Alameda, that seems like a good area for singles in the OP’s age demographic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
The Rockridge and Piedmont Avenue neighborhoods of Oakland are good choices. Berkeley is geared towards a younger audience, so it isn't worth the higher rent prices. Consider Alameda (Park Street side of the island) if you want to be near Oakland but somewhere considered safer. I think Walnut Creek is an A+ location for folks in your demographic. My guess is that with a name like Fabio you aren't a woman, in which case I would not head to San Jose. It's called Man Jose for a reason, and if you're ready to mingle, you won't find much there.

Old 04-19-2021, 06:18 PM

Yes, I’m a guy and I work from home as a Software Professional, at least from now on after the pandemic (also a contributor to the divorce of my 15 year marriage). I work for a huge software company in the Bay Area. Not necessarily looking for a mate or my exact age group demographics , just a community-minded safe neighborhood where I could walk to a local bar without getting mugged like in London when I lived there. I like the Walnut Creek and Alameda suggestions. Thank you kindly, great members of the forum.

Old 04-19-2021, 08:38 PM

124 posts, read 110,450 times
Quote:
Yes, I’m a guy and I work from home as a Software Professional, at least from now on after the pandemic (also a contributor to the divorce of my 15 year marriage). I work for a huge software company in the Bay Area. Not necessarily looking for a mate or my exact age group demographics , just a community-minded safe neighborhood where I could walk to a local bar without getting mugged like in London when I lived there. I like the Walnut Creek and Alameda suggestions. Thank you kindly, great members of the forum.

Palo Alto, Redwood City, Mountain View, San Jose , etc. are all nice cities that are safe with downtown areas. You could easily walk around at night and be safe. Walnut creek is nice but you will be further from San Francisco, the South Bay and the East Bay. There are plenty of good looking women in the south bay and peninsula. Just go to Santana Row or the mall or any restaurant in San Jose on the weekend and you will see a ton of women everywhere. The south bay area is more than just San Jose. It just comes down to personal preference. Alameda is nice but I can't say how safe it is at night, especially because it is right next to Oakland. I haven't lived there but any city near Oakland tends to be sketchy.

Last edited by BayAreaResiding; 04-19-2021 at 08:58 PM..

Old 04-19-2021, 08:56 PM

6,730 posts, read 6,727,597 times
Downtown Walnut Creek is full of single 30+ women and much safer than Oakland, etc and plenty to walk to. Plus not terribly far from the city if you want to go in. The weather's also a lot better and a lot of the apartments have pools which will provide views of bikinis you will not get West of the Caldecott.

Old 04-19-2021, 10:07 PM

I am starting to focus on the Walnut Creek area, planning on renting somewhere nice and then hopefully buying a place more permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland