Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 10:34 AM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,746 times

Advertisements

Isn't RP a base for DEA/FBI in the area? I've heard they have training facilities there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2008, 10:37 AM

I'd vote for Arcata too. I checked it out when I was in college, considering a transfer, and might have moved if I hadn't taken some friends with me, one was African American and we were not comfortable.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:39 AM

324 posts, read 1,706,970 times
I don't like the cookie cutter home situation. THere are other areas nearby that might be more appealing to you. I think Cotati is better than RP and it is just around the corner, or Sebastopol is 10 minutes or so from there.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 AM

You might like Sonoma Valley, although you would have to commute to any university. Are you hoping to attend/teach? or just looking for the culture? What about Napa?

Old 07-02-2008, 04:42 PM

2 posts, read 15,335 times
You need to stop by Arcata. It has some individuality and quirkiness. I am a Realtor in Humboldt so I'd be happy to help with any questions. Good luck.

Old 07-02-2008, 05:22 PM

Keep us posted!

Old 07-03-2008, 07:39 PM

188 posts, read 920,231 times
Check out Cotati, which is just to the south of Rohnert Park, it has an actual, if small Downtown, RP just has strip malls. It has a unique mix of residents and housing, unlike the simple sprawling mess of RP. It's just small (7,000 people tops), so for thai or indian you may need to go to petaluma or santa rosa. Sonoma County has numerous nice towns that you might like (petaluma, sebastopol, sonoma), RP just isnt one. Price wise I dont think Cotati should differ, while the other towns maybe a little stiffer.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:24 PM

12 posts, read 39,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasw98 View Post
Thinking about the Rohnert Park area and hoping to get some feedback from current or past residents.

I got the lowdown on the real estate from the web, so I am mainly interested in learning about the culture/feeling of the place. From the strange "abc" layout of the streets, it seems slightly "Stepford-ish", but other than that, I know nothing.

Hoping for something like a modern small town, liberal, bookstores, coffee shops, Thai and Indian restaurants, etc.
Alright I live in Rohnert Park, and i go to school there. The thing with rohnert Park is that in the southern areas of the city like the B section, A section, C section and the L section has a lot of apartments very small house its more crowded.Thats an area of more low income renters and owners lived in the city it has gang problems down there but its cool to walk the street, i live down in the b section.If u go up north of the c section on camino colegio all there are is apartments.The north side is all big nice houses, cut off from the rest of rohnert park on the east side of snyder rode in the southern area of rohnert park is the R section and M section like the northside of the city these sections are cut off from the Southern Side. All you really have to know is the north side is rich the southside is different from the rest of the city the M and R section are rich.For wat ure looking for would be the S section,the E section, The G section,The H section,The R section, The M section The D section and the F section. Or in the c section on snyder rd. is a nice suburb that side of it would be good for you.Oh and if your looking for good stores you might not find what ure looking for it has a lot of boring stores. It does have Thai shops in Downtown not any indian resturaunts. It does have a Starbucks i dont know about any other ones oh and if u want liberal u aint going to find it in Rohnert Park. Trust me on this reply for you I have lived in the C section And B section. I have been to all over in Rohnert Park i know about i always go with my friends to the A section.Just remember this is a cookie cutter town. GOOD LUCK

Old 08-07-2015, 07:25 AM

1 posts, read 2,054 times
After viewing the video about the policeman and the "citizen" videotaping him, it seems that this is an anti-police area. The cameraman seems to have some issues with the police based on familial experiences/contact with them. People who hate the police this much are off. I wish that whomever filed the story would have provided some background of him which would have made the story more balanced. Many of the headlines of related stories had very anti-police bias. This is not a place where I would like to live, and I wouldn't like to live near a nutcase like the cameraman.

Old 08-07-2015, 11:44 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joewallace View Post
After viewing the video about the policeman and the "citizen" videotaping him, it seems that this is an anti-police area. The cameraman seems to have some issues with the police based on familial experiences/contact with them. People who hate the police this much are off. I wish that whomever filed the story would have provided some background of him which would have made the story more balanced. Many of the headlines of related stories had very anti-police bias. This is not a place where I would like to live, and I wouldn't like to live near a nutcase like the cameraman.
I don't think it's an 'anti-police' area. The guy in the video had a cop pull his gun on him while he was hitching his boat to his truck, when he asked the cop why he was doing it the cop said it was because the truck owner was photographing him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland