U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 AM

81 posts, read 336,050 times

Advertisements

Thinking about the Rohnert Park area and hoping to get some feedback from current or past residents.

I got the lowdown on the real estate from the web, so I am mainly interested in learning about the culture/feeling of the place. From the strange "abc" layout of the streets, it seems slightly "Stepford-ish", but other than that, I know nothing.

Hoping for something like a modern small town, liberal, bookstores, coffee shops, Thai and Indian restaurants, etc.

Last edited by thomasw98; 05-12-2008 at 01:53 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2008, 01:02 AM

684 posts, read 1,972,275 times
I live in the area...no, nothing "stepford-ish" about it, really an average commuter/college town. Thai and Indian restaurants, but if you are looking for "culture" like you would find in SF, you, if you are young and not attending Sonoma State, may get a little bored. Rohnert Park is a family suburb.
As far as the ABC layout, it started that way in the early '70's with the A then B section (you don't want to live there)
If you golf, there is a very nice course, with homes surrounding it. I believe it is the D and F sections, though I might be wrong (I am not a golfer)
If you have a young family, then definately the M section. Good schools, quiet nice neighborhoods.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
If you have a young family, then definately the M section. Good schools, quiet nice neighborhoods.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the overview. Really helpful!

Old 05-13-2008, 09:57 AM

4,126 posts, read 4,687,017 times
I find it quite "Stepfordish". It's just another cookie cutter development that sprung up on the 101 in the last 20 years. A friend bought a house there about 5 years ago and now he's contemplating hanging himself with a power cord out of boredom.

RP has grown a lot in the past 15 years. 20 years ago it was a freeway exit that appeared to lead to a couple of abandoned barns along the road. Now it's suburbia.

I can't really say there's anything wrong with RP. It seems to have all the stuff you might need and it seems safe and sterile. If that's what you like, then it might be a great place for you. Different strokes. Most of America seems to like the suburbs so I'd guess most of America would like RP.

Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
I find it quite "Stepfordish". It's just another cookie cutter development that sprung up on the 101 in the last 20 years. A friend bought a house there about 5 years ago and now he's contemplating hanging himself with a power cord out of boredom.

RP has grown a lot in the past 15 years. 20 years ago it was a freeway exit that appeared to lead to a couple of abandoned barns along the road. Now it's suburbia.

I can't really say there's anything wrong with RP. It seems to have all the stuff you might need and it seems safe and sterile. If that's what you like, then it might be a great place for you. Different strokes. Most of America seems to like the suburbs so I'd guess most of America would like RP.
..."with a power cord"...hmmm...interesting detail that one....

From your description (and the previous one), it does not sound quite right for me. The reason why I am evening considering it is because of the university there. I am looking for a nice place with some quirkiness and individuality. Other candidates so far on the list are Arcata/Eureka and Chico. So I figured RP, with Sonoma State, might be another choice to consider. But from what I have read so far, it is somewhere on the scale between "Stepfordish" and "safe suburbia"...Unfortunately, I don't think "quirky" lies anywhere between those two points.

Maybe I will still swing by there on my way to Arcata, but it is not sounding like the right fit so far.

Old 05-13-2008, 04:58 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,687,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasw98 View Post

Maybe I will still swing by there on my way to Arcata, but it is not sounding like the right fit so far.

You haven't given much information about what you want but I've got a hunch you might just like Arcata. If you can deal with the fog and weather very similar to Ireland, you may like it. The science department at HSU is top notch.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:34 PM

105 posts, read 545,120 times
Default OP, you're looking for something else

OP, yes, sounds like Rohnert Park is not for you. RP began as "stepfordish" but is now just the usual rambling bedroom/commercial cooridor 'burb. Even the university, which has been recruiting students from the state's more affluent areas in recent years (they think RP is in 'the wine country'--NOT!) is now probably more "stepfordish" than the town! Arcata is likely what you want, but expensive--agree that Chico is worth a strong look. Check out San Luis Obispo as a college town but probably too conservative for what you are seeking. Suggestion: look at Mt. Shasta City (Siskiyou County), there's no four-year college but probably fulfills all your other criteria. Happy hunting.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie guy View Post
OP, yes, sounds like Rohnert Park is not for you. RP began as "stepfordish" but is now just the usual rambling bedroom/commercial cooridor 'burb. Even the university, which has been recruiting students from the state's more affluent areas in recent years (they think RP is in 'the wine country'--NOT!) is now probably more "stepfordish" than the town! Arcata is likely what you want, but expensive--agree that Chico is worth a strong look. Check out San Luis Obispo as a college town but probably too conservative for what you are seeking. Suggestion: look at Mt. Shasta City (Siskiyou County), there's no four-year college but probably fulfills all your other criteria. Happy hunting.
Yeah, I thought about San Luis Obispo also, but the real estate there is still a bit out of my budget. On the other hand, you never know where it will be in 6 months, right?

Shasta City. That's a new one for me. I will check it out.

Thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDaisy View Post
...If you golf, there is a very nice course, with homes surrounding it. I believe it is the D and F sections, though I might be wrong (I am not a golfer)
Hope this helps.
Thanks!

From my map checking, the area around the golf course is D, E, F, G, and H. Three good elementary schools in those areas also. M section also has a good elementary school.

Well, as I mentioned in another thread, I guess I will still check it out with a visit.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:52 PM

19 posts, read 67,990 times
Default Yawn

Don't do it. You'll want to leave as soon as you get there.

All the action is further South and East.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland