Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 12:52 AM

2 posts, read 1,685 times

Advertisements

I recently moved here from east coast.
I am a young single professional living in Oakland and working in burbs of Fremont.

I have been checking out listings in NOBE area but nothing good

I do see nice towns around walnut creek, concord areas. How are these areas for a single people ?

Are there opportunities to meet others ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 10:01 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
What is NOBE?

Walnut Creek and Concord are suburban but WC is fairly decent for young people. Food nightlife and active downtown.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:44 PM

899 posts, read 517,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
What is NOBE?

Walnut Creek and Concord are suburban but WC is fairly decent for young people. Food nightlife and active downtown.
North Berkeley might be NOBE.

Old 10-11-2021, 04:49 PM

106 posts, read 235,535 times
Appears NOBE means north Oakland, south Berkeley, Emeryville : https://localwiki.org/oakland/NOBE . I have not heard this term before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtdotSFO View Post
Are there opportunities to meet others ?
I think that in any place other than SF or Oakland, the likelihood of incidental meetings with others is pretty low. That means you'll have to meet others via specific activities with people of shared interests. Those are possible in all the suburbs. But I think even suburban towns with downtowns (WC, Pleasanton) are mostly for suburban parents date nights more than any place young/single people would hang out.

If you're working in Fremont, you could also try the other side of the bay in San Jose, where availability is probably higher, though it isn't as lively a place.

Old 10-11-2021, 05:10 PM

23,513 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Downtown Alameda may be a good place to check out to meet people.

Old 10-13-2021, 12:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by General I80 View Post
North Berkeley might be NOBE.
That is correct, NOBE is North Oakland, Berkeley , Emerville

Old 10-13-2021, 10:34 PM

124 posts, read 110,299 times
I think your best options are Walnut Creek or San Jose, since you work in Fremont.

Old 10-13-2021, 10:53 PM

538 posts, read 1,191,048 times
If you don't mind a bit tougher commute to Fremont than "NOBE" (haven't heard that term either), I would suggest looking in Albany and Kensington. Both have offering in your price range and are pretty close to Berkeley and interesting bits of Oakland.

and/or

Find a new job.

Old 10-14-2021, 01:23 PM

899 posts, read 517,018 times
Did you look in Santa Clara? Commutes will be better than Oakland, and there are many young professionals. Not East Bay, but it still seems good.

Old 10-20-2021, 12:33 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,243 times
NOBE = North Oakland Berkeley Emeryville. It's a term used by realtors but not by anybody who actually lives there.

Best places for young single professionals to congregate are Oakland (various neighborhoods), Alameda (Park Street), and downtown Walnut Creek. Was easy to come by activities and Meetup events in these places (before COVID happened). Downtown Hayward has a little bit of nightlife, but it's not really a place to socialize with new people.

A good friend of mine worked in downtown Fremont for years. He commuted from Alameda. Easier drive than from Oakland, and a safer area as well.

San Jose is closer to Fremont than Oakland/Alameda, but there isn't much going on down there. There is some stuff here and there (SoFA District on the edge of downtown, etc.), but generally speaking, even downtown Walnut Creek seems to have more to offer.

I would move to Alameda before NOBE. You will avoid huge traffic headaches by being south of the MacArthur Maze.

If you really want to go out east, Walnut Creek is good but a bit far from Fremont. Concord is very suburban and further away, so not worth it. I know somebody who lived in Concord when he was younger and single, and he lasted about a year before moving to Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland