Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-17-2022, 11:51 AM
 
3,098 posts, read 3,795,040 times
Reputation: 2580

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sserna1982 View Post
There are still affordable places in the Bay Area, but many would not dare live among the lower socioeconomic classes. We opted to buy in Highland, Deep East Oakland for ~400K in 2018. It's not where we plan to stay forever, but it was a great way to break into the market. Our home is now worth over 650K. This is a very family oriented community with holiday spirit. We're happy here.

If people aren't able to buy in Rockridge, Uptown, Monclair, or Piedmont they claim unaffordability, but in reality, there is plenty of housing that is still affordable in places like Oakland.

Obviously, it's harder to buy in the most highly coveted zip codes. Everyone wants to live there. I always say you have to start somewhere.
That’s a rough area I would have aimed for a transitional area.

“many would not dare live among the lower socioeconomic classes.”
Sometimes for good reason. Are you a parent?
I live in Oakland and I would not live there if I had children especially preteens or teenagers. As my father told me -you move to an affluent nice neighborhood so you don’t have to worry who your 14 year old daughter is hanging out with.
No one wants their children growing up around children whose parents may be gang affiliated or felons.

Made sense to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2022, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Concord, CA
7,225 posts, read 9,389,494 times
Reputation: 25855
Here's The Cheapest Single Family Home For Sale In Martinez

The 695-square-foot residence with a large, freshly landscaped yard and a deck is listed for $450,000.

https://patch.com/california/martine...-sale-martinez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2022, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Concord, CA
7,225 posts, read 9,389,494 times
Reputation: 25855
These Bay Area cities have seen the biggest declines in home prices as mortgage rates rise

https://www.sfchronicle.com/realesta...s-17520993.php

"According to real estate listings website Zillow, typical home values decreased 3% from May to August in the San Francisco metro area, which comprises Alameda, Contra Costa, San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin counties.

But the drop was most pronounced in the San Jose metro, which includes Santa Clara and San Benito counties, with typical home values dropping 6%. That’s much higher than the nationwide decline of 2% for the same period."

"Palo Alto saw the Bay Area’s largest drop in typical home values of 7.1%, from $3.88 million in May to $3.61 million in August. Santa Clara followed closely behind at 6.8%, going from $1.73 million to $1.61 million, and Los Altos home values fell 6.7% from $4.37 million to $4.08 million."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2022, 02:26 PM
 
Location: In the Redwoods
30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times
Reputation: 23952
Quote:
Originally Posted by sserna1982 View Post
There are still affordable places in the Bay Area, but many would not dare live among the lower socioeconomic classes. We opted to buy in Highland, Deep East Oakland for ~400K in 2018. It's not where we plan to stay forever, but it was a great way to break into the market. Our home is now worth over 650K. This is a very family oriented community with holiday spirit. We're happy here.

If people aren't able to buy in Rockridge, Uptown, Monclair, or Piedmont they claim unaffordability, but in reality, there is plenty of housing that is still affordable in places like Oakland.

Obviously, it's harder to buy in the most highly coveted zip codes. Everyone wants to live there. I always say you have to start somewhere.
I think this is an important point, which I've argued before. I bought a lovely house in the Santa Cruz Mtns (arguable as to whether it's "SF Bay Area," but I'm literally a few miles from the Santa Clara County line) for $640K less than a year ago. It's 2br/1ba + bonus room, just shy of 1000sf, recently renovated, and has a nice little yard. Anything comparable just 20-30 minutes down the hill would probably cost double that!

I manage a commute into the valley 4-5x/week with little trouble, in fact it's pretty nice avoiding all the congestion on typical commutes like 85/280. When I tell people where I live, they're always "oMg tHe cOmMutTe!" But you're okay with sitting in bumper-to-bumper up and down 85 every day? Possibly for longer than my drive takes? Mmmmkay.

So yeah, maybe people need to expand their idea of what's a reasonable commute + neighborhood. They think if you're anywhere other than the trendiest zip codes, you might as well not bother. Oh well, my gain their loss. lol

Last edited by gizmo980; 10-23-2022 at 02:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2022, 02:44 PM
 
Location: In the Redwoods
30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times
Reputation: 23952
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
That’s a rough area I would have aimed for a transitional area.

“many would not dare live among the lower socioeconomic classes.”
Sometimes for good reason. Are you a parent?
I live in Oakland and I would not live there if I had children especially preteens or teenagers. As my father told me -you move to an affluent nice neighborhood so you don’t have to worry who your 14 year old daughter is hanging out with.
No one wants their children growing up around children whose parents may be gang affiliated or felons.

Made sense to me.
I grew up in San Mateo Park, at the border of Hillsborough, and attended the ritzy private schools. I still hung out with a bad crowd, even dated older boyfriends with criminal records, and got into TONS of trouble as a teenager.

I get your point, but think it would be better made with "do you want them to get shot in a drive-by (or be a victim of any street crimes)." That's a more neighborhood-specific issue, since kids will find their own trouble if they really want it. Regardless of where or how you raise them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2022, 02:50 PM
 
Location: In the Redwoods
30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times
Reputation: 23952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Here's The Cheapest Single Family Home For Sale In Martinez

The 695-square-foot residence with a large, freshly landscaped yard and a deck is listed for $450,000.

https://patch.com/california/martine...-sale-martinez
You can get a bigger condo in San Jose for not too much more... decent neighborhood, too. I lived in Almaden Valley (as a renter) for years, and it was quite nice around there.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...ixed_view_card

That was just the first link that popped up, too; there are lots more! And if you want a SFH, come to my neck of the literal woods... still plenty to be had for under $700K, as I know since I was in the market (budget of $720K) last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2022, 08:00 PM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
449 posts, read 497,574 times
Reputation: 496
Prices should come down a bit, but yeah obv BA is expensive and for good reasons. It shouldn't come as a surprise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2023, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Concord, CA
7,225 posts, read 9,389,494 times
Reputation: 25855
Bay Area homes selling below asking price for first time in 10 years

Here's why Bay Area homeowners are receiving lower offers


https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/02...e-in-10-years/

"Looking to buy a home in the Bay Area? The odds of scoring a deal could be tipping in your favor.

For the first time in over a decade, homes in the region are selling, on average, for less than the asking prices, according to data from real estate brokerage Redfin.

The milestone reflects a slowdown in the Bay Area’s notoriously scorching housing market as rising mortgage rates squeeze out many would-be buyers and hammer prices. This week, the average rate on a typical 30-year home loan hit 6.3%, double the historic lows during most of the pandemic — when buyers rushed into the market in droves to take advantage of the cheaper mortgages. The higher rate is boosting monthly home payments, sometimes by thousands of dollars."

"Prices across the five core Bay Area counties are down between about 5% and 10% compared to this time last year, and around 25% to 35% under their all-time high in May."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2023, 07:18 AM
 
Location: Austin Metroplex, SF Bay Area
3,429 posts, read 1,594,089 times
Reputation: 3303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Bay Area homes selling below asking price for first time in 10 years

Here's why Bay Area homeowners are receiving lower offers


https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2023/02...e-in-10-years/

"Looking to buy a home in the Bay Area? The odds of scoring a deal could be tipping in your favor.

For the first time in over a decade, homes in the region are selling, on average, for less than the asking prices, according to data from real estate brokerage Redfin.

The milestone reflects a slowdown in the Bay Area’s notoriously scorching housing market as rising mortgage rates squeeze out many would-be buyers and hammer prices. This week, the average rate on a typical 30-year home loan hit 6.3%, double the historic lows during most of the pandemic — when buyers rushed into the market in droves to take advantage of the cheaper mortgages. The higher rate is boosting monthly home payments, sometimes by thousands of dollars."

"Prices across the five core Bay Area counties are down between about 5% and 10% compared to this time last year, and around 25% to 35% under their all-time high in May."
An asking price is not a metric for homes dropping in value. The easiest way to determine that is simply median home price. In addition, there's a good chance that the monthly mortgage hasn't changed much with higher interest rates (the banks simply get the difference). The only real benefit is to cash buyers.

In fact, running some numbers.....

The home buyer who is financing that $1.17 million home in San Francisco at a rate of 6.3% (taken from the article) with 20% down would pay approximately $6,600 per month.

That same home buyer financing a home at $1.26 million at 3.5% (the previous available interest rate in the last couple of years) would pay about $5,600 per month.

That doesn't sound like a lot to cheer about for the standard family financing a home.

Last edited by blameyourself; 02-19-2023 at 07:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-19-2023, 09:42 PM
 
Location: Boise, ID
1,095 posts, read 821,766 times
Reputation: 2782
Among large metro areas, San Francisco is leading the nation in home price declines.

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-...-market-2023-2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top