Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2022, 08:48 PM

63 posts, read 117,258 times

Advertisements

Is it really illegal to park your car in your own driveway in SF? An elderly couple was threatened with a $1500 fine if they didn't remove their car from its car pad, which they had used for 36 years.

Is that the law throughout the city or just in certain neighborhoods? Can a rule like this be justified?

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/n...n-own-driveway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2022, 09:00 PM

14,307 posts, read 11,697,976 times
That sounds ridiculous to me. A car parked on the driveway is unaesthetic, but if you put a roof over it, it's suddenly aesthetic? I would think this was some dumb nitpicky rule enacted by an HOA in a new development, but according to the article, it's been in effect for decades. Just wild.

I live in Orange County and have an HOA, but there is nothing in it about not parking in one's driveway or on the street. Everyond does both all the time. However, our friend in a nearby city cannot park his car on the driveway unless he already has two cars parked in the garage (and thus nowhere else to put the third car). That would definitely have been a dealbreaker for me because our house is so small that we need our garage for other things besides parking two cars, such as doing laundry, and the garage itself is so small that if two cars are in there, you can't move around them.

Old 07-06-2022, 08:21 AM

63 posts, read 117,258 times
It's absolutely nuts. Makes me wonder if the city wants the couple's house and is trying to muscle them out by enforcing rules like this.

Old 07-10-2022, 08:00 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,047 times
Sounds pretty ridiculous to me. My partner's family lives in SF, and everybody in their neighborhood parks in their driveway if it's big enough. Often even if it isn't big enough... Either the law applies to rich neighborhoods only, or the complainer has City Hall connections. Wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter, as the City's Planning and Building departments are notoriously corrupt.

Old 07-11-2022, 01:25 AM

5,585 posts, read 5,013,044 times
It has always been that way with SF when parking in the driveway. Parking enforcement could cite the vehicle as I remember but $1,500 that is too high inflation or not they must be up to something to get more $$$ as they always have been. Just like they created that soda tax and restaurant tax and whatever else price increases such as in those parking meters that now accept credit cards in the form of payment vs. nickels, dimes, and quarters 40 or so years ago. The City is coming up with ways to nickel and dime it's residents and visitors.

Old 07-11-2022, 01:30 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
What’s a carpad?
I’ve never heard that term- it might be regional.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: