Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 AM

31 posts, read 129,208 times

Advertisements

Everyone, I haven't owned a home before. I would appreciate your thoughts as I don't know if it's wise to proceed or to stop:

I found a home in my price range that is in amazingly good condition, considering. Every home has something... However, I noticed under the kitchen sink there was a lot of mold on the sheetrock. Obviously there'd been a leak and they didn't attend to it. We took a look behind some of the other cabinets and yes, the walls are covered with it. I don't know if it's gone up behind the tiled walls, but it's possible. The only way to deal with it is to pull out the new kitchen and tile, replace the sheetrock etc. This is essence adds a significant amount of money to what it will take for me to move in, plus it's possible that there may be more mold found as things are removed.

I've been reading other people's experiences online and some say they wish they'd never bought the house, other people say they would run from it. Very few say "no big deal".

I'm on a shoe-string, it's a foreclosure so the bank is unlikely to credit for repairs (although I'm going to ask for it). I was just going to be squeeking in taking care of the section one repairs plus adding gutters and other things to fix the moisture issues. One of the perks was a new kitchen, which now is no longer real... I do have sensitivities, and this mold feels like a deal breaker, as in, not something I can live with and fix later. I have to address it before moving in. There's mold on the wall and ceiling in the bathroom too probably because they didn't use the fan or open the window when showering. It's not extensive at this point, however. It seems easily repaired.

When you're on a shoestring budget, and are lucky enough to find something in your price range that's not in a super scary neighborhood, am I crazy to walk away?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 09:40 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,586,445 times
I wouldn't say game over just yet. First and foremost, have a professional look at it. Have them find out exactly what's wrong. Then, get a few bids from some local contractors for the work.

If you don't want to ask for a credit for repairs, just lower your offer by the amount of repairs. In this market, I'd think if you can justify a lower offer, they would at least entertain it.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:02 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,715,832 times
In reality... it's no big deal if you can do it yourself... once mold remediation is called and all that goes with it... your spending thousands of dollars...

Mold flourishes with moisture and it is very possible that one of the pipes inside the wall behind the cabinet is leaking.... I also seen in a very old kitchen where the faucet and sink to tile grout was in such bad shape as to allow water inside the cabinet and on the wall every time the dishes were washed.

Do you like the home? Does it have other redeeming qualities?

Before proceeding, the mold needs to be identified by a lab to determine proper remedial measures...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 05-25-2008 at 02:12 AM..

Old 05-25-2008, 01:47 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,734,376 times
I would not touch, I would not buy, I would not live in a property with any outbreak of black mold.

Several months ago we were in-between housing and lived with a relative whose apartment was infested with black mold. Within weeks everyone in the house--including the cat--was sick; coughing, sneezing, wheezing, headaches, rashes, you name it. And I've never had an allergy in my life.

Google black mold and you will find what an insidious hazard it is. You can't get homeowners insurance any more that will cover black mold. Read the EPA guidelines for black mold removal, it is beyond frightening. Mold Resources | Mold | Indoor Air Quality | Air | US EPA

And once water damage infects the framing in the walls the trouble is there to stay for good. The sheetrock, cabinets, framing, all have to be removed and replaced. Black mold is what is destroying post-Katrina New Orleans.

Run away from this property!

Old 05-25-2008, 03:30 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,586,445 times
Azoria, it hasn't been determined it is black mold. I wouldn't run away just yet. First have a pro look at it, and determine what it is. At that point, the OP should determine whether to buy the property or not.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:35 PM

15,642 posts, read 26,280,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
I would not touch, I would not buy, I would not live in a property with any outbreak of black mold.

Several months ago we were in-between housing and lived with a relative whose apartment was infested with black mold. Within weeks everyone in the house--including the cat--was sick; coughing, sneezing, wheezing, headaches, rashes, you name it. And I've never had an allergy in my life.

Google black mold and you will find what an insidious hazard it is. You can't get homeowners insurance any more that will cover black mold. Read the EPA guidelines for black mold removal, it is beyond frightening. Mold Resources | Mold | Indoor Air Quality | Air | US EPA

And once water damage infects the framing in the walls the trouble is there to stay for good. The sheetrock, cabinets, framing, all have to be removed and replaced. Black mold is what is destroying post-Katrina New Orleans.

Run away from this property!
It's one of those funny things in life -- all mold is black... but not all mold is "black mold".... there is a big difference....

Old 05-26-2008, 03:55 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,323,993 times
I think mold is fairly easily treated. I think most people would be amazed what a spray bottle with a chlorine solution in it will do. As for inside walls, you can drill a couple of holes in the sheetrock, run a hair dryer into the lowest one and dry out that pocket fairly quickly, spray some chlorine solution into the top hole and plug them back up.

If you're opening up a wall inside a cabinet, you can get PVC caps at the hardware store and just fit them into the holes you created for future access if necessary.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:28 AM

31 posts, read 129,208 times
Thank you all for your comments. The home seems really clean otherwise. Do I like it? Well, I don't dislike it. What I like is the price. I like that it is clean compared to other places I've seen. The crawl spaces are clean, the framing under the house looks good. The attic is dry. But it smells musty moldy in the house. I don't know if that is all from the kitchen, or also because there's ww carpet everywhere (even on the concrete slab in the room off the garage), and the house has been closed up for so long. I'm not crazy about the neighborhood, and there are things I had to warm up to, which I did, and could feel excited about it, until the mold in the kitchen was discovered. My home inspector does not recommend the bleach/spray bottle fix, as it is too large of an area, and I agree. I really would have to rip out the kitchen, and get rid of all the drywall that has the mold, otherwise I wouldn't feel settled about it. I think my biggest concern about walking away is that I won't find something else this good in all the other ways.
However, price isn't everything if it is harmful to one's health!

Old 06-02-2008, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 18,328 times
Don't buy this home. There are so many homes for sale, including a lot of foreclosures, and you can find something else. I know it is stressful to be looking for a home, but this problem will end up costing you thousands, and that is not what you are looking for right now. Get out of this deal and keep looking. My Daughter bought a condo with a water damage problem, and it was terrible. My advice is, don't go there.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:55 PM

680 posts, read 2,441,896 times
We have friends whose new house in Wine Country developed toxic mold. They had to literally tear the place apart and have been embroiled in a law suit for years. Definitely have a pro look at it and give you an estimate before you proceed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland