Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 05:22 PM

233 posts, read 827,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
There are lots of couples groups, but I don't know any names off the top of my head... Junior League is only for women, which is kind of the point. It's not "segregation," but rather a chance for women to bond through community service - since most of them are married w/ kids, and could use an occasional night out with the girls. Don't you get enough time with your man at home?

I don't have a man, hence the looking for coed clubs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 06:15 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenOlenska View Post
I don't have a man, hence the looking for coed clubs
Ah-ha... Sorry, I got confused since we switched gears halfway through. In that case, you should join a singles club! I'll let you know if I think of any good ones, since the only ones I've attended are for Jewish singles - which I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) you aren't. Not that we'd turn you away, but most of the guys are specifically seeking Jewish gals & vice versa.

Old 07-07-2008, 06:30 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,489 times
You don't need to ask the guys out directly but letting them see that you're interested is a good idea. male/female friendships are common so it's not assumed that there's a romantic interest when dealing with the opposite sex. This can be very frustrating for people not from the west coast but it's normal if you're from this part of the country.

As for meeting people you can do it everywhere. When new in town take every decent opportunity to get out of the house with different types of people and you'll quickly figure out how many social worlds exist here and how much most of them overlap. The cliquish hipster types tend to cluster together and avoiding them entirely is advisable as they're mostly not worth the effort anyhow...

Old 07-07-2008, 08:45 PM

I love being involved in the community. But once I graduate my my Master's program, I'll be working long hours, so I can't join something that requires too much of a time commitment. However, that is my preferred way of meeting friends and love interests.

Keep me posted if you find any civic oriented groups that are co-ed !

Old 07-08-2008, 12:06 AM

I just ordered a book on Amazon called Connecting in San Francisco. Seemed interesting. I'll update when I get it.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:39 PM

143 posts, read 296,199 times
If you are a woman who is having a hard time meeting men (in any city), then you might not be the most attractive person. Work on your looks and your dating life will improve exponentially.

To the fellas, I have found that Michaels is a great place to meet women. I had to go there often last feburary (work project), and every tme I went there I saw some very pretty women.

Old 07-13-2008, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer View Post
If you are a woman who is having a hard time meeting men (in any city), then you might not be the most attractive person. Work on your looks and your dating life will improve exponentially.

To the fellas, I have found that Michaels is a great place to meet women. I had to go there often last feburary (work project), and every tme I went there I saw some very pretty women.
My looks are fine, thanks. But being pretty isn't the only thing women need to find and sustain a relationship.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:33 AM

153 posts, read 567,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexthedestroyer View Post

Your post made me laugh. Thanks.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:15 AM

409 posts, read 1,830,489 times
seriously, the best way to meet men in sf is to RELAX. there's nothing less attractive than a woman who is shopping for a man, a relationship, a marriage, a family and a life when all the guy is looking for is some decent conversation and a chance to get to know someone before thinking at all about these things.

this kind of stuff is where you begin to discover the "cultural differences" of the different parts of the USA. people not from the west coast often have absolutely no idea how to deal with people who are from here because their approach to gender relationships, in particular, can be very different than what you're used to.

in my experience most people have a harder time opening their mind than they'd like to believe and few ever admit that part of their problem meeting people in SF is they're uptight and this isn't such an uptight place.

believe me, as someone who is from the wets coast, we can spot the difference immediately.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:23 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,522,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiezbug View Post
What is the situation like in San Jose?
I've heard it referred to as "man-jose" because of the scarcity of eligible women compared to the number of eligible men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland