Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 10:02 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times

Advertisements

Cancel Berkeley!

Rename UC Berkeley? How the university is responding to ‘denamed’ overseas library

“We acknowledge that the university’s founders chose to name their new town and campus after an individual whose views warrant no honor or commemoration,” university spokesperson Dan Mogulof said in a statement, referring to George Berkeley’s history as a slaveholder with an ill-fated plan to force Native American children into Christianity.

The quandary facing UC Berkeley extends to the city at large, where discussions of a name change are already percolating, but not gaining much traction. In an opinion piece published last year in Berkeleyside, a longtime Berkeley resident advocated for renaming the city: “It’s time for us to move on from the past. The city of Berkeley, our city, is named after a slave owner, racist, and colonialist.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 10:19 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Paywall/sign-up wall. As a born-and-raised Berkeley-ite, I'm stunned. And grossed out by the history of the name. But a re-naming? IDK. The university is known around the world, in academic circles, at least. It's like asking: what if Harvard decided one day to not be "Harvard"?

Tough question. This issue will be worth following.

Old 05-09-2023, 02:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,550 posts, read 81,117,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Paywall/sign-up wall. As a born-and-raised Berkeley-ite, I'm stunned. And grossed out by the history of the name. But a re-naming? IDK. The university is known around the world, in academic circles, at least. It's like asking: what if Harvard decided one day to not be "Harvard"?

Tough question. This issue will be worth following.
Born in San Francisco, living in the east bay 40 years and working in Oakland, we always referred to it as the "People's Republic of Berkeley." Still, changing the name after 145 years (incorporated 1878) seems a bit to much. Imagine how much it will cost to change all of the city's contracts, other legal documents, signs, job titles, policies and procedures, and everything else. Here in our county a similar change was made when King County changed just their logo, from a crown symbol to the image of Martin Luther King. To me it's erasing history. Regardless of whether George Berkeley or William Rufus King owned slaves, the founders of the city of Berkeley and King County honored them by using their names. The same with many other slave owners who had organizations, cities or counties named after them that are still there today. Are those all going to be changed too?

Naming a few:

Madison
Clark
Columbus
Audubon
Balboa
Caesar
Dodge
Franklin
Grant
Hancock
Harrison
Houston
Jackson
Jefferson
Madison
Mason

Old 05-09-2023, 05:01 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,072,220 times
They changed the names of a bunch of military bases so this should be a piece of cake .

On another note,
I wonder if the “Me Too” movement will go after MLK.
That sure is going to confuse a bunch of maps near all those Greyhound bus stations.

Old 05-09-2023, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I wonder if the “Me Too” movement will go after MLK.

The feminist poet, bell hooks, addressed that in a statement. If you tried doing a search for it, you might find it. I think the gist was, that just because he was able to bring about positive change for his sector, we shouldn't disregard women's concerns, and sell women short. People are multi-faceted. It's ok to call them out on one facet, while celebrating another.

Old 05-09-2023, 10:18 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,059,166 times
De-emphasise "Berkeley". Rebrand as UCB. Problem solved.

Old 05-12-2023, 12:37 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,496,920 times
I lived in Berkeley for 10 years, moving away in 2018. It's gotten even more "Berzerkeley" in the past 5 years. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't come up with the renaming effort on their own. It was only a matter of time.

Old 05-14-2023, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdaven View Post
I lived in Berkeley for 10 years, moving away in 2018. It's gotten even more "Berzerkeley" in the past 5 years. Honestly, I'm surprised they didn't come up with the renaming effort on their own. It was only a matter of time.
Why, what's been going on there in the last 5 yrs, besides homelessness?

Old 05-14-2023, 03:51 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
I don't care about preserving history; times change. But it seems weird to spend millions of dollars on changing the name of the university that could be going toward improving the livelihood of the many poor black East Bay residents.

King County was brought up, I actually liked that approach. Pick some less problematic person named Berkeley and throw up a plaque honoring them.

Old 05-14-2023, 06:08 AM

9,359 posts, read 14,093,349 times
It’s only a name. Plenty of good people have the surname Berkeley. Just leave it alone. And emphasize all the good achieved via university and townspeople.

Changing the name won’t change history. It will only contribute to a soon-to-be history of confusion and costly errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland