Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 09:21 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
There are apartments in the town of Lafayette on 2nd street that might suit your needs.
The schools are top notch there, BART is a 15 minute walk away and the town is quaint.
I went to Lafayette schools and they are top-notch, and walking to BART is key since the parking fills up quickly. If you can't find two bedrooms there at your price, try Castro Valley. There a 2 bedroom is $2,500-3,000, good schools, our kids went there, and also a BART station. Just be sure to be in the Castro Valley School District, above the 580 freeway. Below that is in the mediocre Hayward district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 09:27 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,068,630 times
Nice job Ruth .
2nd street has always been a square deal.
It’s not the Ritz by any means but there is nothing ghetto about the place.
I think there are 8 or so buildings there and a bunch of swimming pools.
There used to be lots of divorced people and single parents with lots of kids playing around when I was there.
It’s a good spot.
Lafayette has always been one of the nicer places.
Good to hear that you can still find a square deal there.

They were all once owned by the Clark family.
I never knew the family but I knew Mr. Clark and he was a good humble man.
It would be heart warming if the family still had the buildings and ran it the same way as he did, but who knows?

Old 05-15-2023, 09:54 AM

102,183 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
Nice job Ruth .
2nd street has always been a square deal.
It’s not the Ritz by any means but there is nothing ghetto about the place.
I think there are 8 or so buildings there and a bunch of swimming pools.
There used to be lots of divorced people and single parents with lots of kids playing around when I was there.
It’s a good spot.
Lafayette has always been one of the nicer places.
Good to hear that you can still find a square deal there.

They were all once owned by the Clark family.
I never knew the family but I knew Mr. Clark and he was a good humble man.
It would be heart warming if the family still had the buildings and ran it the same way as he did, but who knows?
I wonder if there's a way to check that out; would ownership records be available online as public records? Well, the websites for those buildings should say somewhere in the fine print, whether they're corporate-owned or not. It would be great if they've remained good old-fashioned locally-owned rentals. Thanks for posting all the additional info!

I took a look at Castro Valley rentals on Craigslist. I found one at $2250, but it's right near the freeway interchange, so I'm not sure if it might be in the Hayward school district or not. I found another for $2300 that looks good; more modern than the first, and in a 4-plex. This gives hope. There are probably others, I didn't get deep into it. I haven't seen rents that low in Walnut Creek, that's for sure. Not even close.

Old 05-15-2023, 11:04 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,553 posts, read 81,067,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I wonder if there's a way to check that out; would ownership records be available online as public records? Well, the websites for those buildings should say somewhere in the fine print, whether they're corporate-owned or not. It would be great if they've remained good old-fashioned locally-owned rentals. Thanks for posting all the additional info!

I took a look at Castro Valley rentals on Craigslist. I found one at $2250, but it's right near the freeway interchange, so I'm not sure if it might be in the Hayward school district or not. I found another for $2300 that looks good; more modern than the first, and in a 4-plex. This gives hope. There are probably others, I didn't get deep into it. I haven't seen rents that low in Walnut Creek, that's for sure. Not even close.
We lived in Castro Valley for 14 years, and it's definitely less expensive than Lafayette/Walnut Creek, but also has milder weather, not nearly as hot.

This link will allow you to look up the ownership of any Contra Costa County but unfortunately it's a 3rd party and they charge for details such as owner. Here in King County Washington it's all on their free Parcel Viewer site.

https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/4650/...est-Disclaimer

Old 05-15-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We lived in Castro Valley for 14 years, and it's definitely less expensive than Lafayette/Walnut Creek, but also has milder weather, not nearly as hot.

This link will allow you to look up the ownership of any Contra Costa County but unfortunately it's a 3rd party and they charge for details such as owner. Here in King County Washington it's all on their free Parcel Viewer site.

https://www.contracosta.ca.gov/4650/...est-Disclaimer
Good luck to the OP; she's getting a lot of help here.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:56 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,068,630 times
Hemlock140 is correct about Castro Valley.
I know the area.
The weather is rather nice.
There are nice little communities within the city.
The only negative thing really for me is the Hayward factor.
I’m not really a fan of Hayward and all the gang activities that are there.
Nope, not a fan at all.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:18 PM

855 posts, read 450,042 times
Lafayette and WC are beautiful.

But I don't know why anyone would move there currently given cost of living compared to how much further your money goes just about anywhere else.

It's different if you're earning considerable money and can afford a nice house in the area.

If you like that area though might as well consider Pleasant Hill. Will be priced a little less. But it's right there.

Old 05-16-2023, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post

But I don't know why anyone would move there currently given cost of living compared to how much further your money goes just about anywhere else.

It's different if you're earning considerable money and can afford a nice house in the area.

If you like that area though might as well consider Pleasant Hill. Will be priced a little less. But it's right there.
My understanding is, that the OP was working remotely for an SF-based employer, who recently decided he wants his workforce in-office. So if she wants to keep her job, she has to move to the Bay Area, and figure out how to make that work.

OP, find out of your employer offers a subsidy for public transit cost. The farther out from SF you go (Pleasant Hill), the more your BART travel will cost. It's fairly common for employers to offer a transit benefit. Pleasant Hill would be a good option.

Old 05-18-2023, 12:01 PM

207 posts, read 220,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post

Why? Lafayette and Walnut Creek are in the Acalanes Union High School district, which is the top two (?) in the state of California. And it is not like you would pay two or three times less for a house in another nice part of East Bay with good schools.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:37 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,495,899 times
Consider Castro Valley, Albany, Alameda, Lafayette, and Walnut Creek. El Cerrito could work too. You can reach SF by BART, ferry, and/or AC Transit Transbay bus. Don't bother with Oakland, San Leandro, Berkeley, Richmond, or Concord. See if you can find something in South SF too, as they also have good schools. Daly City is fine, but it's quite cold there and that's not for everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland