Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 11:08 AM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times

Advertisements

Based on op family and budget I would be hard pressed to move unless they had great job upside . If they really wanted to live here I wouldn’t do it unless 3 k was in the budget.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 12:35 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Based on op family and budget I would be hard pressed to move unless they had great job upside . If they really wanted to live here I wouldn’t do it unless 3 k was in the budget.
I think she can find a rental within her budget, even well within her budget, and relatively stable rent-wise, meaning; no annual increases, at the least. But still, even in the best of situations, there would be increases, even if modest, perhaps every 3 years or so.

The question is, does her employer provide cost-of-living increases, periodic raises based on performance, and growth opportunities within the company? Would the OP be able to grow her income? That's the key question. Finding a 2-br. rental within her budget is doable. The important thing is to find one she could keep while she raises her child.

Old 05-24-2023, 12:50 PM

855 posts, read 451,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsocal View Post
Well, we are talking about East Bay here and not "countless areas across this country", aren't we?
Ya thank you for following along.

However, an intelligent person would consider other options in addition to the Bay Area.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:31 AM

207 posts, read 220,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Ya thank you for following along.

However, an intelligent person would consider other options in addition to the Bay Area.
An intelligent person replying to the thread "Need to relocate to SF best place to move to good schools around $2500" in the San Francisco-Oakland subforum would hardly consider "other options in addition to the Bay Area". But then we are talking about an intelligent person, right?

Anyway, I feel your pain. In another thread, you mentioned that you were coming back to Northern California from East Coast and "looking to buy in the 500-650K range". Sadly, it is not an easy task, so no wonder one would whine about "countless areas across this country where you can find great school districts without getting absolutely murdered on cost of living like the Lamorinda area".

For what it is worth, I agree that East Bay housing prices are pretty high. On the other hand, there are good reasons why many would prefer to live in Walnut Creek and, say, not neighboring Concord. The quality of public schools is one of them. And one still would pay a lot for a house in Concord, no?

Old 05-25-2023, 01:56 AM

1,386 posts, read 1,498,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The question is, does her employer provide cost-of-living increases, periodic raises based on performance, and growth opportunities within the company? Would the OP be able to grow her income? That's the key question. Finding a 2-br. rental within her budget is doable. The important thing is to find one she could keep while she raises her child.
This is very important. If one's employer doesn't provide consistent cost-of-living increases and growth opportunities, it is very difficult to stay in the Bay Area long term. It simply gets too expensive too quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcalsocal View Post
Anyway, I feel your pain. In another thread, you mentioned that you were coming back to Northern California from East Coast and "looking to buy in the 500-650K range". Sadly, it is not an easy task, so no wonder one would whine about "countless areas across this country where you can find great school districts without getting absolutely murdered on cost of living like the Lamorinda area".
Ouch. Even homes in Richmond and Concord go for $700K these days. And you don't want to live in either one if you care about good schools.

Old 05-25-2023, 05:30 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I think she can find a rental within her budget, even well within her budget, and relatively stable rent-wise, meaning; no annual increases, at the least. But still, even in the best of situations, there would be increases, even if modest, perhaps every 3 years or so.

A family of 3 in a 2 bdrm apartment could be tight.i don’t know the square footage of the ones you found. Also I think one has to consider commute expense into San Francisco. Everything costs a bit more in California so that has to be factored in.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
A family of 3 in a 2 bdrm apartment could be tight.i don’t know the square footage of the ones you found. Also I think one has to consider commute expense into San Francisco. Everything costs a bit more in California so that has to be factored in.
I addressed that in an earlier post, suggesting the OP ask her employer if he covers commute costs or transit passes, as some do.

The 2-br. apts. I found were between around 850 sq. ft. to 950 or 975. There may have been one that was over 1000.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:49 AM

787 posts, read 644,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
I would look for a new job before being forced to move to SF
This right here.

Mods will probably jump on us for being unhelpful, but imo the best advice locals can give is don't come to SF. Its that bad.

If I had no choice but to work in this dumpster fire, I'd do my best to live outside of the city and commute in.

Marin, San Bruno, Pacifica, or some small enclave of non-sketch you might find in the east bay.

When it comes to good schools, unfortunately out here that imo depends on your politics. Most people in academia I know loathe the direction local schools have gone with certain intolerances, and the re-prioritization of some subjects over others.

I know many people on this forum think we largely exaggerate how bad things are in SF. The horror stories are true, it's Flint MI with slightly better water and slightly better weather. Flee.

Old 06-07-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodUsernamesWereTaken View Post
This right here.

Mods will probably jump on us for being unhelpful, but imo the best advice locals can give is don't come to SF. Its that bad.

If I had no choice but to work in this dumpster fire, I'd do my best to live outside of the city and commute in.

Marin, San Bruno, Pacifica, or some small enclave of non-sketch you might find in the east bay.

When it comes to good schools, unfortunately out here that imo depends on your politics. Most people in academia I know loathe the direction local schools have gone with certain intolerances, and the re-prioritization of some subjects over others.

I know many people on this forum think we largely exaggerate how bad things are in SF. The horror stories are true, it's Flint MI with slightly better water and slightly better weather. Flee.
If you'd read the thread, you'd have seen that the OP had no intention of living in the city of SF. Her use of "SF" in her thread title is shorthand for "SF Bay Area". Only her job will be in SF, an easy commute from the east bay or north bay by ferry. Her job is near the ferry building.

Alameda and Lafayette are nice communities. She's interested mainly in Lafayette I think, and was researching affordable apartments there with the guidance of one of our members. Alameda's a good option with good schools, though Lafayette's are better. But Alameda would be a great community for kids, with beachfront on the Bay, and very walkable neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland