Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 11:46 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times

Advertisements

San Mateo

Scroll down to San Mateo Park and Baywood. There are some useful links to local schools at the end of the page.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2008, 12:18 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,526,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I second Piedmont. It is far and away a much better atmosphere than you will find on the peninsula, which is mainly white and asian, and not nearly as dynamic a place.
Last year, Forbes did research and ranked the "Top Urban Enclaves"

Quote:
“Call it an urban suburb–a big-city next-door neighbor that has rejected high-rise development and highways and maintained a small-town feel without the nightmarish commute of the average bedroom community.”

1 Park Slope, Brooklyn, NY
2 Beverly Hills, CA
3 Chestnut Hill, Philadelphia, PA
4 Piedmont, CA
5 West University Place, Houston, TX
6 Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL
7 Beacon Hill, Boston, MA

Interesting how the Top 2 California enclaves are not big city neighborhoods but actually superrich towns completely surrounded by much larger cities(BH surrounded by LA and Piedmont surrounded by Oakland)

Top Urban Suburbs : First Time Home Buyers : A guide for first time home buyers

Old 06-07-2008, 02:06 PM

Hillsborough, california - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This might not pass your "low snob factor" requirements.

Old 06-08-2008, 11:08 AM

9 posts, read 31,546 times
I'm looking for a town that's like Milton, Ma in the Boston area. If there is anyone on here from the area they know what I'm looking for. A suburban town that's close enough to the city that allows you to take advantage of what the city has to offer. It has a good mix of people and is fairly safe and nice with great public schools.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:08 PM

2 posts, read 2,947 times
Anywhere on the peninsula from palo alto up its about 30 min drive to the city. Palo Alto,Redwood City,Menlo Park,Burlingame, San Mateo all are lovely places. Really depends where you check out, what suits your taste.

Old 06-08-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
San Mateo

Scroll down to San Mateo Park and Baywood. There are some useful links to local schools at the end of the page.
I put in the right URL but this link keeps defaulting back to a City-Data page. Try welcome to johnfyten and click on to San Mateo or any other town for detailed neighborhood descriptions.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:56 AM

Good site. Very informative. However, it didn't give any information on Burlingame (the area I'm leaning most heavily towards). My search on the internet revealed no new construction. Is this area filled mainly with older homes? Are new projects in the works?

Old 06-09-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercySunshine View Post
Good site. Very informative. However, it didn't give any information on Burlingame (the area I'm leaning most heavily towards). My search on the internet revealed no new construction. Is this area filled mainly with older homes? Are new projects in the works?
There are no new projects in the works as there is no land to build large projects on. About 75% of San Mateo county land is dedicated to open spaces . There are some newer homes in the area only because older homes were demolished to make way for them. Many of the older homes have been remodeled and up-dated with newer kitchens, bath with plumbing and electrical brought up to code. Older homes tend to have larger lots than the newer homes. I think some of the older homes have a lot more charecter than some of the newer McMansions they are building these days.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:44 AM

[SIZE=3]How susceptible is Burlingame to earthquakes? My concern with the older homes is that they may not be up to code in the event of a big quake.[/SIZE]

Old 06-09-2008, 11:58 AM

Earthquakes can happen anywhere in California and anywhere in the Bay Area.Having said that, there are many buildings such as churches, schools and even homes that have been standing for the last 80 or 100+ years. In the 1989 earthquake, I only got a few hairline cracks in the plaster in my house. But there were other buildings that were built on landfill which sank during the quake, destroying the buildings built on the landfill.

There has been a lot more property damage along the Gulf coast from hurricanes in recent years than we have had from earthquakes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland